Book a trip to Bermuda!

euphscott

OK - so this is not necessarily a Carnival board post - however my experience was from a Journeys cruise on the Splendor with Carnival.

I've been on a good number of cruises (not gonna brag - but I've visited a good portion of the Caribbean). But until last week, I'd never visited Bermuda.

I'll admit, I was never really too motivated to get to Bermuda. I live in Texas, so east coast departures can be a little more expensive. Most cruise that reach Bermuda only go to Bermuda - so if the port stinks...(it does NOT!). The ships that went there were generally older ships and the dates seemed to always be unattractive.

So, no real push to get there. However the Journeys cruise was a good time, good value, and decent ship. So, we pulled the plug, gave it a ride and rolled the dice on Bermuda.

I won't make that mistake again...Bermuda is AMAZING!

The overnight option really is a fantastic bonus. There is so much to see and do on the island and with reasonably cheap and safe public transportation, you can move about efficiently. The people of Bermuda are SO friendly and actually want you on their island - and the all have a wonderful smile for tourists as well as a wonderful sense of humor. Tourism, surprisingly, is not their highest contributor to their economy, but they are very proud of their home. The island is clean - it's a personal pride each local takes in keeping things pristine. And if you walk down tourist alleys and streets, you won't get bombarded with "Come see my store, Get your hair braided pretty lady, Come see what I have for you."

To be fair - it's a wealthy (and expensive) island. But it's beauty is truly unmatched (in my humble opinion). It looks and feels like the Caribbean - but it's quite different, nor actually IN the Caribbean. So, many misconceptions were corrected upon my visit. So, if you are like me as a typical Caribbean cruiser - I urge you to take a closer look at Bermuda - find an itinerary that works for you and go enjoy.

And Carnival - send more ships to the pink sand beaches - your customers will thank you...

Bermuda is a FANTASTIC cruising option, even with the new Mega ships that can't use the portage in Hamilton and/or St Georges. It has been a choice destination for sailing, steam and motor ships for centuries. Even Mark Twain compares it to Hawaii and to Heaven.

The opportunity to use the ship as a Hotel during the stay is awesome since you have 24 hours access to come and go. Many people rent motor bikes and park them at the ship for the duration of the stay. However, the roads can be treacherous and they drive on the Left (wrong!) side of the road. So, as the OP mentions, the bus and ferry pass is a fantastic choice for reliable and comfortable transportation.

Enjoy!!

Like yourself, I was never motivated to cruise first out of Baltimore and second to Bermuda for the same reason, it is the only place it goes. However, recently I have been running across people who have taken this trip and they have all said how amazing the experience is. The cost to me and my fellow cruisers would be cheaper in that we would not have to fly or book a hotel which is what we have always done in the past so I think this will be a great experience. I will be booking this trip for my group in September, 2017. Thanks for reaffirming this decision for me.

The cost to me and my fellow cruisers would be cheaper in that we would not have to fly or book a hotel which is what we have always done in the past so I think this will be a great experience.

You are SO right - hotels on the island are VERY expensive...And toss in food costs - if you need to be economically fiscal - you have meals on the ship to further subsidize.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. We will be visiting Bermuda for the first time via the Pride later this year and are excited about the experience!

I can easily say it would take some sort of tragedy or bad luck to not enjoy the port. I practically guarantee you will have a great time.

Like yourself, I was never motivated to cruise first out of Baltimore and second to Bermuda for the same reason, it is the only place it goes. However, recently I have been running across people who have taken this trip and they have all said how amazing the experience is. The cost to me and my fellow cruisers would be cheaper in that we would not have to fly or book a hotel which is what we have always done in the past so I think this will be a great experience. I will be booking this trip for my group in September, 2017. Thanks for reaffirming this decision for me.

Hi Nessa (and GO O's!!).

Good choice. September will be less expensive for sure, but keep in mind that it is hurricane season so be prepared for some chance of a rougher than you are used to passage and even for a possible itinerary change.

All three of my Bermuda cruises were in September and we loved them lots. If you can, try and get a place on the rail near the front of the ship once land becomes visible. You just might be treated with a show from the flying fish!

I agree OP! I was never really excited to cruise to Bermuda, but my husband wanted to. When Carnival opened up the Splendor out of Norfolk itinerary for last October I booked it, but I wasn't excited at all.

Then, once we docked and got our bus/ferry passes, and I got to start seeing the island, I fell in love! I told my husband we WILL be going back, 3 days wasn't enough time to do everything I wanted to do. The beaches are gorgeous, and the locals were so friendly on our visit.

I took a land vacation to Bermuda back in the 80's, so I knew what I would find there-- a beautiful island with great people and endless things to do.

My family travels during the summer because of school vacations, so our four Bermuda cruises have all been on a different line. We have never run out of things to do and still have a long list of new things to try and old things to do over again.

But I definitely agree with the OP. Get thee to Bermuda!

My cruise photo albums:

Bermuda 2014

Bermuda 2013 Family trip

Bermuda 2013 BFF trip

Bermuda 2011

Bermuda is in a different league than most of the Caribbean- been there several times; well worth a visit. A tropical bit o' England in the Atlantic Gulf Stream.

Actually, I'm surprised there are no cruises from Florida to Bermuda. I guess from Florida everyone just thinks of multi-island Caribbean cruises. :confused:

Bermuda is in a different league than most of the Caribbean- been there several times; well worth a visit. A tropical bit o' England in the Atlantic Gulf Stream.

Actually, I'm surprised there are no cruises from Florida to Bermuda. I guess from Florida everyone just thinks of multi-island Caribbean cruises. :confused:

Lou, I agree!!I have written a few times to Cruise line corporate types asking for this very thing. Cruising from, say Jacksonville NE to Bermuda, would be about the same as cruising SE from Boston in time and distance. I'd also like to see them reuse the smaller tonnage for these trips so folks could taste the thrill of cruising into the sound and docking in Hamilton. AND, what was better than going through the cut into St. Georges with the town crier on the rocks greeting the ship?

Agree....Horseshoe Bay is the nicest (including Hawaii beaches) I have ever been to....Bermuda is incredible

I just returned from my first Bermuda cruise - 3 days there on the NCL Breakaway.

The Atlantic Ocean beaches are nice - Horseshoe begins a string of 13 miles of connected beaches that are totally walkable, each one as nice as the next. I heard reports that there were 8 or 10 people stung by a man o' war jelly fish after I left the beach, but that can happen anywhere.

I just disagree with the OP who claims Bermuda is Caribbean - it way too proper and British and civilised for me to consider it Carib. It is special in its own way.

Edited by evandbob

Lou, I agree!!I have written a few times to Cruise line corporate types asking for this very thing. Cruising from, say Jacksonville NE to Bermuda, would be about the same as cruising SE from Boston in time and distance. I'd also like to see them reuse the smaller tonnage for these trips so folks could taste the thrill of cruising into the sound and docking in Hamilton. AND, what was better than going through the cut into St. Georges with the town crier on the rocks greeting the ship?

This thread made me look up Bermuda cruises and I am shocked there are none from FL. Would make it so much easier! I think I'm no more than a 3.5 hour drive from any Florida port.

But hey, thanks for trying! If enough of us ask, maybe it will get done.

Agree! It's the most beautiful, friendly, clean place we've ever been! We opted for one of the lesser well-known beaches and aside from two other couples had the whole place to ourselves most of the day (and this was in July)! The overnight option, without time limits nor stress of rushing, made it the most relaxing cruise we've experienced too. Cannot wait to go back!

I've cruised to Bermuda twice, none on Carnival because their ship or itinerary/date was not desirable, and loved it! We too loved being there overnight for two nights. It's beautiful there. :D

Edited by bingo3

Great minds think alike, and, I'd have to verify the distance, but it "might" be possible to do it from Port Canaveral, maybe even Port Everglades.

As to St. Georges, that port entry is a real winner, but not with huge ships or nervous captains, especially in high winds!

I can't believe so many have missed Bermuda! :eek:

Oh, let me add...

Bermuda was truly great to visit when "smaller" ships went there, and they could dock right opposite of Front street in Hamilton. You'd walk off the ship, cross the street and walk right into the late, lamented, Triminghams department store. Look to your left, and there's the iconic police "stand", with an officer directing traffic and pedestrians. I have a model of it in my home. Take a walk down, and have a bite to eat at the classy Hamilton Princess hotel.

We'd spend a couple of nights in Hamilton, and then one morning you depart for St. Georges for a night.

These were 7 night cruises that I took on ships under 50,000 tons.

When I went there on QE2 (70,000 tons), we were stuck at Kings Wharf; bus or tender to get anywhere!

So, 3 nights Bermuda, 4 nights sea. Worked for me!

I would love to visit Bermuda via a cruise someday. I'm really hoping that the rumor about future Boston to Bermuda Carnival cruises are correct. It's either that or I'll have to jump ship someday and go with Norwegian.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I would love to visit Bermuda via a cruise someday. I'm really hoping that the rumor about future Boston to Bermuda Carnival cruises are correct. It's either that or I'll have to jump ship someday and go with Norwegian.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Holland America also sails from Boston to Bermuda. It docks in Hamilton which is better than the Dockyard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk