Diamonds International help

famplan28

My family sailed on the Carnival Valor in January. We stopped in Cozumel and my mother bought a very nice diamond ring at Diamonds International. She has bought several rings at different locations before, and has had no problems. The store sent for ship representatives (we thought), so we felt additionally safe. After she bought the ring, we were told to go to an office where she could register to have the sales tax refunded, which is a considerable sum. Many people were in line to do the same thing. My mother was told to wait 60 days to have her credit card refunded the amount. It is well past that date, and I am wondering if any one has had this same problem (I bet you have, now that I read posts about DI), and what you did to hopefully get your promised money back. Thank you for your help!

These jewelry stores pay the ships to advertise them to their passengers. The onboard shopping experts on all the cruise lines actually receive some sort of commission or bonus from the store when a cruiser buys something at one of the stores they recommend. They are not unbiased and of course, the higher the sales price, the bigger the commission or bonus received by the "shopping expert". For this reason, I don't feel that any of the so-called shopping experts are trustworthy.

As to your mother's dilemma, she should start by calling DI to find out where her sales tax refund is in the process. Apparently the Tax Back process in Mexico can take much, much longer than the 6 weeks they claim. Your mom should start by calling Diamond's International. Here's someone else who was struggling with this same issue for almost a year at the point he posted:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g150809-d317512-r193116641-Diamonds_International-Cozumel_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

You might try to ask Phillip (the person who posted on the link above) if he ever received the tax back or not because if he didn't, then you will know not to waste your time. Based on what he wrote it looks like this gets mired in paperwork of the Mexican government tax office.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

Do not ever buy from a ship recommended store. so much higher in price and a nightmare to deal with. We have bought lots of fine jewelry in the VI and we use family owned or non ship recommended stores and have never paid sales tax. we have had the best service in st thomas..

:)

I have had these refunds take as long as a year. The refund goes to your credit card so you need to check your bills. Apparently it depends somewhat on what company is doing the refund as well as which service you used. There are several in Mexico, but I have always received the refund eventually.

Thank you everyone for your help! It makes me feel much better that others have had a similar situation, and in the end, a refund was returned. We are working with Diamonds International in NY to get the refund.

My family sailed on the Carnival Valor in January. We stopped in Cozumel and my mother bought a very nice diamond ring at Diamonds International. She has bought several rings at different locations before, and has had no problems. The store sent for ship representatives (we thought), so we felt additionally safe. After she bought the ring, we were told to go to an office where she could register to have the sales tax refunded, which is a considerable sum. Many people were in line to do the same thing. My mother was told to wait 60 days to have her credit card refunded the amount. It is well past that date, and I am wondering if any one has had this same problem (I bet you have, now that I read posts about DI), and what you did to hopefully get your promised money back. Thank you for your help!

Tell your mother to be very patient. It takes way longer than 60 days to get the sales tax refunded. It is not DI that does that...they have nothing to do with it. It is the Mexican government that refunds the tax. And it takes way way longer than 60 days, but it DOES get refunded.

These jewelry stores pay the ships to advertise them to their passengers. The onboard shopping experts on all the cruise lines actually receive some sort of commission or bonus from the store when a cruiser buys something at one of the stores they recommend. They are not unbiased and of course, the higher the sales price, the bigger the commission or bonus received by the "shopping expert". For this reason, I don't feel that any of the so-called shopping experts are trustworthy.

As to your mother's dilemma, she should start by calling DI to find out where her sales tax refund is in the process. Apparently the Tax Back process in Mexico can take much, much longer than the 6 weeks they claim. Your mom should start by calling Diamond's International. Here's someone else who was struggling with this same issue for almost a year at the point he posted:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g150809-d317512-r193116641-Diamonds_International-Cozumel_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

You might try to ask Phillip (the person who posted on the link above) if he ever received the tax back or not because if he didn't, then you will know not to waste your time. Based on what he wrote it looks like this gets mired in paperwork of the Mexican government tax office.

DI has NOTHING to do with it sales tax refund, only to do with charging it. They (and several other stores)are participating in an incentive that the Mexican government has for tourists. The sales tax is refunded by the Mexican government. A separate agency deals with that. The agency has a kiosk outside the DI store in Coz. The agent prepares paperwork for your sales tax refund and gives you a copy. The paperwork has all the info: phone numbers and email is givenand you can call or email them with an inquiry and they are very prompt to answer. However, it takes a long time for the refund to arrive. But it DOES arrive.

I have had these refunds take as long as a year. The refund goes to your credit card so you need to check your bills. Apparently it depends somewhat on what company is doing the refund as well as which service you used. There are several in Mexico, but I have always received the refund eventually.

Us too.

We are working with Diamonds International in NY to get the refund.

That is not going to be of any help, since DI has nothing to do with the refund of sales tax. Please check on the paperwork that the agency gave you. There is an email address and a phone number. Write to them. They are prompt in replying. And above all, be patient. It will come, but it takes a long time.

Thank you for your assurances that the refund will come. It does make us feel much better. My mother has called the phone number on the forms and the number was disconnected. That is one of the reasons we were concerned. I did not know about the email address, but that is certainly a good resource. She is working with DI in NY because they called her several times wanting her to purchase more jewelry (which she is not going to). They asked her for the information, to be helpful in getting the refund. We are hopeful...thanks again!