Balcony vs. Inside on POA?

I posted this on the Hawaii board, but I thought I'd try it here, too.

We are planning to book POA for May 2017. We are very undecided on cabin type for Hawaii.

Background: We are experienced Caribbean cruisers and have had all kinds of cabins up through Jr. Suite. We have determined that we ARE NOT balcony people. We've used our balconies very little on previous cruises. We are also perfectly happy in small cabins since we spend so little time there.

The difference in a balcony and an inside on POA is about $1500. My concern is that we might be missing something important - the views as we pull in and our of ports on a Hawaiian cruise. This is a "once in a a lifetime" for us and we want to make the most of it. Any advice would be appreciated!

If this is "once in a lifetime", and you can afford it, spend the money on the balcony. You might not think you will spend time there, but there's something to be said for waking up and looking out your window and seeing the beautiful scenery. Without having to get dressed and get ready and go up to pool deck to look outside.

I did POA with a balcony and honestly, i can't imagine not having one. it's hawaii! you want to be outside all the time and the cruising is so scenic and the temperature so lovely that we constantly were on the balcony or at least had the door open to let the air in.

i would absolutely say to do it. you'll remember the beautiful views and enjoyment of the balcony long after the bill is paid off ;)

All but Kona are industrial ports, so there is not too much to look at while in port. We had a forward facing balcony, but really didn't get to use it too much due to the amount of time we spent on the islands. There are also lots of outside spaces to enjoy sailaways or arrivals. If you do decide on a balcony, the port side would be the best to enjoy the Napali Coast sailby on Friday afternoon.

There's a cruising rule out there that says there are only two cruise's that are must have balconies and they are Alaska and Hawaii and having done them a few times I have to agree.

Where we don't book a balcony is Bermuda because you have 3 port days at the same port.

Hawaii is a very port intensive cruise and expensive cruise as are the flights. It may also be the only time you'll do Hawaii.

For us we've done this cruise 3 times all b2b in an aft cabin which is usually $150 more than a regular balcony.

The advantages to an aft is if lava is flowing into ocean you will be able to see it and then you get to see both sides of the Napaili Coast. We have often seen whales and dolphins behind the ship, although I doubt that you'll see any in whales in May.

We are doing this cruise in May 2018 and I did book an aft balcony. Then again, I'm a balcony person- preferring to have room service breakfast on my balcony, pre-dinner drinks on the balcony, watching sailaway on the balcony and just sitting in the middle of the day enjoying the scenery while partaking in an adult cold beverage and reading a book. And the last day of the cruise as we pull away from port, you will find me on my balcony, crying because that means the week is over.

I posted this on the Hawaii board, but I thought I'd try it here, too.

We are planning to book POA for May 2017. We are very undecided on cabin type for Hawaii.

Background: We are experienced Caribbean cruisers and have had all kinds of cabins up through Jr. Suite. We have determined that we ARE NOT balcony people. We've used our balconies very little on previous cruises. We are also perfectly happy in small cabins since we spend so little time there.

The difference in a balcony and an inside on POA is about $1500. My concern is that we might be missing something important - the views as we pull in and our of ports on a Hawaiian cruise. This is a "once in a a lifetime" for us and we want to make the most of it. Any advice would be appreciated!

I would agree with the others here: Even if you are not "balcony people" you may well regret not having a balcony for the POA.

Yes, the ports are mostly industrial, but there is plenty of beautiful scenery entering, leaving and cruising. And you'll be off the ship all day in port anyway.

Your biggest problem will be deciding which side of the ship to have a balcony on. If there's lava flowing from the Big Island volcanoes, you'll want starboard (right) for the night time view as you sail by. But of late, there has not been any lava flowing down to the sea, so the ship goes around the north side anyway.

You'll want a portside (left) balcony for the cruise by the Na Pali coastline. Yes, the ship does turn around so that both sides can see, but on our cruise, they began to pull away from the coast on the return leg, when the starboard side cabins were toward the coast, so the starboard cabins got much less "up close and personal" time.

You can, of course, see all these things from up on the public decks. The issue can be getting to the rail to actually see them...it's very crowded up there at these times. And also you have to stand the whole time, whereas on your private balcony you can sit, relax and enjoy the view.

It's your call, of course, but I'd recommend a balcony for the POA. As you said, it's a once in a lifetime cruise.

Edited by VideoTech

If you get a balcony, you'll be able to just wake up and walk outside in your robe to this :)

This was taken the morning we arrived in Hilo on the POA a few weeks ago. Currently in the middle of my review, but it's taking a while lol

13246207_10154744845610931_3535544321433440153_o.jpg

I think this is definitely a personal preference :-) now that I have little kids I prefer a balcony so that I can sit on it while they are napping. When it was just my husband and I we always did interior rooms everywhere except Alaska because our preferences to be able to Pay less and do multiple cruises a yearor more excursions. When we went to Hawaii we stayed in an interior room and use the money we saved for an extra week on one of the islands. However we have to be pretty budget conscious. If you don't have to worry about the budget I say go for the balcony :-) it is always wonderful to wake up and walk out on the deck in your Jammies and enjoy the sights!

If you get a balcony, you'll be able to just wake up and walk outside in your robe to this :)

This was taken the morning we arrived in Hilo on the POA a few weeks ago. Currently in the middle of my review, but it's taking a while lol

13246207_10154744845610931_3535544321433440153_o.jpg

Wow - a picture IS worth a thousand words! Thanks for the responses, everyone!