AT&T Wireless on Carnival Question

That is not he reason, Sprint uses cdma technology and AT&T uses GSM. AT&T's 4G signal is very fast in the Virgin Islands, fast enough to stream.

You mean Verizon? Either way I didn't appreciate the response of the previous poster trying to school me on what is and is not the US. I was just referring to what cell company's phones worked when not in the Continental US without the need for an International Plan and without roaming fees.

I think your explanation makes sense. So I'm guessing that the people who reside in the USVI must have a GSM phone if they want to get cell service then, correct?

ATT also has a texting plan you can add for just one month. I think it was $30. It allows unlimited texts pretty much any place in the Caribbean (does not work on the ship). I added it to my plan on my cruise last February. Sent and revived a few hundred texts with no cost other than the plan.

It also provides a small amount of data (120Mb) which you need to send SMS. You have to be careful because if you leave your data on you will use up the 120Mb very quickly. I would keep data turned off until I wanted to send an SMS (picture message) then I would turn it on and and send then turn it back off.

It also provides a lower cost per minute for calls. $1 minute I think. Again only while not on the ships system (cellular at sea),

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/international/roaming.html

We travel enough that I am going to switch to T-mobile. Their plans include unlimited text and data in over 140 countries and calls are only $.20 a minute. So if you travel a lot and the T-mobile coverage in your area is good, it might be something to consider.

Edited by stevec999

Last December I needed to call home and check on my 88 year old mother everyday as she was released from the hospital just a few days before I cruised. I found the Carnival social package that allowed Skype to be my best option. It was choppy sometimes but it worked for quick check ins. Also they could skype me and I could see when my sister had skyped and Skype her back. I got the ATT international roaming plan for 1 month and used it while in port to call via my cell for longer conversations.

Edited by beta98beta

ATT also has a texting plan you can add for just one month. I think it was $30. It allows unlimited texts pretty much any place in the Caribbean (does not work on the ship). I added it to my plan on my cruise last February. Sent and revived a few hundred texts with no cost other than the plan.

I did this as well for my March cruise and it worked out well.

It also provides a small amount of data (120Mb) which you need to send SMS.

This isn't actually true. SMS does not use data, it is sent via the cellular signaling exchange between your handset and the network. MMS does require data, as does iMessage, but not SMS.

You have to be careful because if you leave your data on you will use up the 120Mb very quickly. I would keep data turned off until I wanted to send an SMS (picture message) then I would turn it on and and send then turn it back off.

MMS is for picture messages, SMS is text only. Data usage varies, but I will say that I didn't really restrict myself and I barely used 60MB of the the 120MB. It's easy to check your data usage also with AT&T in the US and abroad using the *DATA short code (you just dial it). That will return your current data usage (as an SMS) so you'll know how much you have used and have left. With the International package it's pretty nice, once you enabled it - even while you're still in the US, it shows up so you can verify that it has been added to your line.

We travel enough that I am going to switch to T-mobile. Their plans include unlimited text and data in over 140 countries and calls are only $.20 a minute. So if you travel a lot and the T-mobile coverage in your area is good, it might be something to consider.

I totally agree! Unfortunately for us, T-Mobile coverage is subpar in North Carolina and where there is coverage, it's all in the higher frequency bands (1700/1900/2600 MHz) which is terrible at penetrating buildings.

For those of you with android phones or calling to android phones, we use What's App that is available for use with the social plan - for those not on facebook. Have both parties load the app and you can text away!

Yes that works on the SMP as well. It is also available on iPhone.

Just FYI, the flyer above is outdated. Snapchat is no longer approved on any of the Carnival plans. My 17 & 20 year old kids are pretty bummed about it. That's their primary means of communication with their friends. :rolleyes:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1152/~/carnivals-wi-fi-service-and-hub-app

It must have just happened in the last couple of months then since that was from my February Glory cruise.

Actually we have talked about this before on here (not you and me personally I don't think). The website is the old info. It doesn't even mention airline apps which absolutely are included. I had my first experience last October with the new internet plans. Some on here have said Snapchat works and others say no. Could be ship specific as well. All they can do is try. There are plenty of other ways to communicate [emoji4]

Edited by firemanbobswife

That would be great if it is included! My sister and her family returned Sunday and my niece said snapchat never worked. Either way, they're paying for their own social media plan, so whatever they choose ;)

Thanks for the reply!

That would be great if it is included! My sister and her family returned Sunday and my niece said snapchat never worked. Either way, they're paying for their own social media plan, so whatever they choose ;)

Thanks for the reply!

If it works, great! If not, then oh well at least they are going in with no expectations. I think someone said that Snapchat has recently enabled making longer videos or something like that and that might be why it no longer works. I really have no idea because I have never used it! All I can attest to is that was the paper I was given in February. Hope everyone has a great cruise!

I did this as well for my March cruise and it worked out well.

This isn't actually true. SMS does not use data, it is sent via the cellular signaling exchange between your handset and the network. MMS does require data, as does iMessage, but not SMS.

Yes SMS does not use data and MMS does, trying to do to many things at once when I typed that :)

Both Whatsapp voice calling and FB Messenger voice calling work on the social media plan. I have AT&T and incurred no additional charges when I did this in April on the Sunshine.

Good to know. And you shouldn't have gotten charged no matter who your carrier was because with the Internet plans onboard you have your phone in Airplane Mode. That way you won't be receiving/sending data via your cell phone. It's strictly through wi-fi.

Both Whatsapp voice calling and FB Messenger voice calling work on the social media plan. I have AT&T and incurred no additional charges when I did this in April on the Sunshine.

Thank you so much!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I've used both voice and video calling through Facebook messenger. Although there is about a 5 sec delay , it worked fine for me. Only need social plan for that. May have to go to higher deck to get best signal.