Mariner Questions

bigscrb15

I will be on the 7/30/2006 MOS to Western Caribbean for my honeymoon. Right now we are looking at a Promenade cabin.

1. Does the Promenade category offer good privacy for typical "honeymoon activities", are they very loud and let alot of light in at night?

2. What packages would you recommend to send to my then beautiful wife?

3. I always thought Portofino & Chops was 1 place, now I know its 2. Is one better than the other?

4. I love to spoil my fiancee, so would you recommend any other surprises or gifts?

5. Will this cruise be overrun with kids? I know its summer time but we were on CCL Miracle in July of last year and the kids were not too bad.

6. We have never been to Labadee nor Ocho Rios, what excursions would you recommend at those 2 ports?

I really appreciate anyhelp you could give me and I am hoping you all are as great of people as the Carnival board. Thanks in advance.

- Cody

Congratulations Cody!

1. I assume you mean that your cabin is located interior on the Promenade. I have never stayed in a Promenade Stateromm but have been in an interior stateroom on the Mariner and found it to be private. I did not hear my neighbors.

2. You could do Champagne breakfast in bed. Something romantic you all could do together would be a couples massage or a couples exotic rasul treatment. The exotic Rasul treatment is a service where they put you in a room together and you put moisturising, theraputic, aromic mud on each other and then a "tropical rainfall" from the ceiling falls as you wash it off of each other. I have not tried it but it seems very romantic.

3. Portofino = Italian, Chops = Steakhouse

Both are fabulous.

4. Flowers?

5. I have no children and did not feel that the Mariner was "over run" with kids.

6. Labadee = Great beach day. Try a Labadoozie; they are fabulous.

6. Ocho Rios - Email Orville Taylor. He will customize a tour of your liking. He was wonderful! Check out some of his reviews on the Jamaica boards. My 1 suggestion about Ocho Rios is to do a tour (go climb Dunns River Falls, they are beautiful) with a reputable tour guide and you will have a blast. Do it on your own and you may feel intimidated by some of the locals and not have an opportunity to see Jamaica for the beautiful island that it is.

Have fun Cody!

Cheers!

Congratulations Cody!

1. I assume you mean that your cabin is located interior on the Promenade. I have never stayed in a Promenade Stateromm but have been in an interior stateroom on the Mariner and found it to be private. I did not hear my neighbors.

2. You could do Champagne breakfast in bed. Something romantic you all could do together would be a couples massage or a couples exotic rasul treatment. The exotic Rasul treatment is a service where they put you in a room together and you put moisturising, theraputic, aromic mud on each other and then a "tropical rainfall" from the ceiling falls as you wash it off of each other. I have not tried it but it seems very romantic.

3. Portofino = Italian, Chops = Steakhouse

Both are fabulous.

4. Flowers?

5. I have no children and did not feel that the Mariner was "over run" with kids.

6. Labadee = Great beach day. Try a Labadoozie; they are fabulous.

6. Ocho Rios - Email Orville Taylor. He will customize a tour of your liking. He was wonderful! Check out some of his reviews on the Jamaica boards. My 1 suggestion about Ocho Rios is to do a tour (go climb Dunns River Falls, they are beautiful) with a reputable tour guide and you will have a blast. Do it on your own and you may feel intimidated by some of the locals and not have an opportunity to see Jamaica for the beautiful island that it is.

Have fun Cody!

Cheers!

The Rasul treatment sounds great. I appreciate the answers.

We had a fair to poor experience overall on the Mariner.

One of the highlights was the Bob Marley Zion Experience. It was a great tour, loads of fun, and just crazy mon!

Also, skip Labadee and book the Malfini Beach excursion. Pure bliss. You share a private beach with about 20 other people, the bar prices were very reasonable, and the snorkle gear and floats are complimentary. We could have spent the entire day there, it would be very romantic. No loud blaring music and annoying drink hawker/chair mover/hair braiders. Just quiet.

Anne

I will be on the 7/30/2006 MOS to Western Caribbean for my honeymoon. Right now we are looking at a Promenade cabin.

1. Does the Promenade category offer good privacy for typical "honeymoon activities", are they very loud and let alot of light in at night?

I was just on the Explorer in a Promenade cabin on Deck 8. I have done balconies, oceanviews and insides (both regular and promenade). I liked the Promenade room better than other insides. The layout was somewhat different (the bed is closer the enterance) but the window down into the promenade was great. The blinds in the room block out a large majority of the light with very little light leakage. The only time that you can hear noise from the promenade was when some event was occuring and they had the sound system going, but earplugs could block out that noise if you were going to take an afternoon nap. General crowd noise was not a problem. We did, at times, hear voices from the cabin next to us but it was the same in any other category.

I would easily book this room again, but seeing it is your honeymoon, if you can affford it, you might look into a balcony. There is nothing more romantic than waking up in the morning and eating breakfast together on your balcony.

If this room is in your price range, than book it without doubts. You will have a wonderful honeymoon.

I am a believer that the middle of the ship has less rocking, I think I can get a balcony towards the bow or stern for around the same price as a promenade, what are your experiences in room position?

EDIT:: I found out they have E2 balconies available for $200/pp more than the Promenade Interior. And I can get on of these in the "hump" so its harder for people to see what we are doin on the balcony, lol.

We LOVED our 8/28 Mariner cruise. I'll try to help where I can.

Promenade Rooms - haven't stayed in one personally but have many clients who HAVE, and they LOVE them. Close to the action, great view, mostly quiet, and as long as you draw the the curtains, your honeymoon should be safe. ;) But HEY, if yoy can get a balcony for a little more, DO it. Nothing more romantic than looking out at the sea on those moonlit nights.

Portofino and Chops - yes, they are two separate restaurants. We did both, and although I am not a steak eater, I actually enjoyed Chops more (the pork shank dish was AWESOME). Portofino was very nice too, just not as good as the Italian cuisine I can get at home. Since you're honeymooners, I say do BOTH and decide for yourself.

Kids - well, it's summer, but no, you won't be "overrun" with kids. It's a HUGE ship, and it's not like there will be hordes of children running about constantly. I sailed during a summer break and had no issue with kids.

Labadee - for us, we took the advice of those on this board and just headed straight back to Hideaway Beach (I think that was the name, would have to check). It was GORGEOUS there, not too many people, close to one of the lunch buffet locations...very relaxing. Do a search on Labadee on this board and read the advice. Lots of good stuff.

Ocho Rios - well, honestly, this is not a favorite port of mine. Check out the Ocho Rios board for some ideas, or again, search on this board. I'd honestly stay on the ship next time I did Ocho Rios.

Congrats on your upcoming marriage! :)

I highly recommend the Rasul, it's a wonderful way to get dirty (and clean). Totally private with a shower to rinse off in that is built for two.;) You start with an exfoliating scrub that you apply to each other, then after rinsing, you slather each other with mineral mud and relax :D on lounging benches until a timer sets off a rain of warm water from above you. It's totally sexy!!! After, you can shower off again and massage each other with aroma therapy oils. We LOVED it! If you book the last appointment of the day, they don't care if you run overtime. Do be aware that the exfoliating scrub is best appreciated on a body that has not been burned by the sun so book the Rasul before you get too much sun.

Also you might consider ordering one of the romance packages (you can view them on the RCI website)

We have cruised in an 8th floor Promanade cabin and loved it, but in hindsight I think 7th floor would be ideal. When we booked it we were concerned about noise and light too and that is why we chose the 8th floor room which wasn't necessary. We heard no noise at all except the faint sound of the parades. The curtains are double, a sheer and a blackout curtain. The lights in the Royal Promanade dim in the evening giving the illusion of night time. It's brighter during the day. Try to pick a center of the promanade cabin that is not adjoining for a great view of parades and less noise disturbing you from you neighbors.

We have also cruised in the Aft balcony cabins and they are really wonderful too. Larger balconys by far than those on the sides of the ship. Wonderful moonlight reflecting off the wake at night, it's the perfect spot for a romantic dinner for two, a champagne toast, or whatever else you might have in mind.

For a honeymoon, I would suggest mid ship cabin (like deck 9 or 10) balcony. It will be worth every penny.

Nothing like having breakfast and coffee outside on your own balcony.

If you do a search you will also find other adult activities happening out there as well.

Surprise your new bride with a balcony.

I am a believer that the middle of the ship has less rocking, I think I can get a balcony towards the bow or stern for around the same price as a promenade, what are your experiences in room position?

EDIT:: I found out they have E2 balconies available for $200/pp more than the Promenade Interior. And I can get on of these in the "hump" so its harder for people to see what we are doin on the balcony, lol.

Um, even on the hump, other hump balcony's can see you.

Anne

The PR rooms offer plenty of privacy with the drapes drawn.

The Rasul is worth it, we did it on the Mariner and enjoyed it. If you really want to spoil her, go down to the spa right after boarding and book her a massage or one of those massage/facial type combos for Monday late afternoon, then book the Rasul for both of you on the last day at sea. The better spa times book up fast. The Monday treatment will be a great relaxer before getting ready fo the Captains ball and dinner. The Rasul gives you something to look forward to on the last day.

On the first night at sea, be sure to take a stroll after dinner. Visit the bow, you can go to the very tip (like in Titanic). The stern at the fantail is a very romantic spot as you watch the ship's wake disappear behind you.

We tend to like Chops better, though both are very good. Try Wed. night at Chops. The dining room menu is Caribbean and is not the best night of the week. If you time your Chops reservation around 8-8:30 you can see the lights of Montego Bay go by as you are dining. Portofino will not have that view as it is on the opposite side of the ship.

Hope some of this helps.

We sailed on Mariner last week with our kids. A guy at the Rock Climbing wall said that last week there were 400 kids (out of 3400+ sailing on the ship) and during the summer there's "like 1300 kids".

But, as has been previously said, it is a massive ship and my kids tended to want to hang out in the kid areas or the Promenade Cafe (which I never even went to), so I think that usually the kids are not much of an issue with other passengers (unless you want to climb the rock wall, or I would guess the pools would be more crowded than we noticed).

Congratulations & hope you have a great trip.

Laura

"What's all this talk about Humps to a honeymooner! My goodness, has decorum completely vanished, why of course they'll be humping...."

"Miss Litella, "Hump" refers to the central portion of the ship which bows outward, forming a "hump" shaped protrusion..."

"Oh, that's very different...never mind..."

(some of us still miss you, Gilda)

Now then, to the OP--

Just want to be sure, do you want other noise from the promenade to help, er, drown out any noise that might be generated from your stateroom, or do you want to ensure that you are not disturbed by outside noise?

Have to agree--if you can, on a honeymoon,spend a little bit of money that you don't really have and get a view of the ocean. Never regretted staying oceanview all the way in Hawaii on my honeymoon...13 years later, champagne as the sun rose over the ocean from our verandah on Kauai is still a nice memory. If you can do a balcony, so much the better.

Yes, there will be a large number of children. Its okay--none of them will be yours. Which means you can eat your dinner while it is still hot instead of cutting someone else's meat first.

Pre-Order Some chocolate dipped strawberries and champagne in the stateroom gifts section of the website, or through your TA, whichever, so that it will be waiting for you when you arrive.

Find a piano bar on board where they take requests and request a classic along the lines of "just the way you look tonight" or "somewhere beyond the sea" for your then-new spouse. Something about it being sung on a cruise ship makes it even more elegant. Really.

All the best. And don't ever become my client (did I mention I'm a divorce lawyer?)

Ha ha ha ha ha...

Hilarious Logan! Are you sure you're a divorce attorney and not a comedian?

Thanks for the laugh!

"What's all this talk about Humps to a honeymooner! My goodness, has decorum completely vanished, why of course they'll be humping...."

"Miss Litella, "Hump" refers to the central portion of the ship which bows outward, forming a "hump" shaped protrusion..."

"Oh, that's very different...never mind..."

(some of us still miss you, Gilda)

All the best. And don't ever become my client (did I mention I'm a divorce lawyer?)

Thank you everyone! I think I have decided on a balcony. With all these hints & tips I know this will be an amazing honeymoon. I really like the bow of the ship, thats 1 thing we really wanted to see on the Carnival Miracle. Keep the replies coming, I am writing all these down so I won't forget them when this thread gets lost.

Didn't want to start a new thread so figured Ill ask here, what is the website to find what ships will be in port at a certain time. I want to see how many ships will be in port when I am there. I tried searching, but the search isn't working for me. Thank you in advance.

We just got off the Mariner yesterday for our honeymoon. It was fabulous. We had a balcony cabin on deck 8 and I didn't feel it rocking any more than when I was on the Promenade in the middle of the ship. We did notice motion on our sailing..some days more than others but it wasn't bothersome to either of us, it actually was relaxing...like being rocked to sleep.

My DH surprised me with beautiful flowers on the ship...the only problem is that you can't really take them off and they were still in full bloom when we disembarked. You may be able to request special permission though.

Definately watching the sunrises and sunsets on our private balcony was one of the most romantic things we did on the cruise. The Mariner balcony is pretty secluded..if you lean on your railing you can see other people if they are at their railings but the glass partitions are frosted so unless you are really trying to be a peeping tom you really can't see your neighbors through them.

We found little private spots that we liked to go to at night when we wanted some quiet togetherness time. The Helipad was one of those spots..it was very quiet, not many people went up there (that is at the bow of the ship). We usually went up there during the day but went up there at night twice and it was beautiful...it is really dark so be careful and watch your step but the lack of ship lights made for nice clear star gazing.

The solarium Hot tub was usually quiet at night as well.

Portofinos and Chops are both very good. It depends if you like Italian or Steak more. We preferred Portofinos but we love Italian food. We also dined at Chops and they serve the food a little different than Portofinos. They bring you a "visual" menu...a cart with the food that they serve on it (and then they hand you a normal menu). They also serve you family style meaning that they put all the side dishes in the middle of the table and everyone can take what they want. They have baked potatoes as big as your head (ok, I'm exaggerating a little but they are BIG).

We did the eastern route and didn't get any packages so I can't help you in those areas but we had a great time on our honeymoon.

I'll try my best to answer some of your questions.

1. I see you've decided on a balcony. Smart move, but you probably wouldn't have minded the Promenade. My husband and I had one in August (NOT our honeymoon, just a trip) and it was fun. With the drapes pulled, that room got very dark. I slept better on that ship than I ever have before. Never had a problem with our neighbors. Never heard them at all.

2. There will be a lot of kids on board in the summer. I have no clue how many were on our cruise, but as a person without kids, it was too many for my liking. Most were well-behaved, but we had 3 sea days and 3 ports, so towards the end when we had 2 sea days in a row the kids got much antsier.

Have a great honeymoon and congrats. Be sure to book the spa and Portofino's right when you arrive on board. Reservation times go quickly.

The bow was a little tricky... you had to go down to deck 4 (in the front of the ship of course) then go outside...there are stairs there which lead up to the helipad. There seems to be directions all over the ship for getting around but none of them seem to lead to the helipad...we found it by accident.

There are also benches to sit on out there.

I would absolutely recommend a night at Portofino's. Very romantic...Last cruise the man next to us at Portofino's proposed! It's just that kind of place. The romantic lighting, tables for two, wonderful food and fabulous service. A special evening all around...

And I can get on of these in the "hump" so its harder for people to see what we are doin on the balcony, lol.

***TMI WARNING***

**Ahem** you are correct sir! We had a "hump" balcony-and unless your neighbour leaned over his balcony to peep, you're safe with the frosted partitions. But one little catch! We realized after our first *cough* rendezvous that you MUST LOOK UP in the daytime and check to see if neighbours up to two cabins away on either side are present. Why? Because the balcony ceilings (at least on 7) are shiny and reflective. We could see, in detail, what neighbours two cabins away were doing on their balconies (sitting in chairs at the time). Obviously at night, do not use your balcony light!

Crusing is DS's thing, so DH and I have a lot of time on our hands spent hanging about our room. The Rasul treatment is highly recommended-you can't get back to your room fast enough afterwards!

Enjoy your honeymoon!

2. What packages would you recommend to send to my then beautiful wife?

3. I always thought Portofino & Chops was 1 place, now I know its 2. Is one better than the other?

4. I love to spoil my fiancee, so would you recommend any other surprises or gifts?

5. Will this cruise be overrun with kids? I know its summer time but we were on CCL Miracle in July of last year and the kids were not too bad.

6. We have never been to Labadee nor Ocho Rios, what excursions would you recommend at those 2 ports?

I really appreciate anyhelp you could give me and I am hoping you all are as great of people as the Carnival board. Thanks in advance.

- Cody

If you love to spoil your fiancee, then you should go for a balcony cabin. It's your honeymoon!

Also, there are over 3,000 people on the ship. There will be families & kids on any cruise go on.

We were also on the Mariner last week in an aft cabin. I think it was an E1, #7390. This was a fantastic cabin! Our balcony was the same width as a regular balcony but was 2 1/2 times as deep. It was large enough for 2 loungers, a small table and 2 regular chairs. The interior was the same as the other E1s. Our friends were next door in #7388 - the one with the huge balcony. Honestly, I preferred ours because it had both shade and sun while theirs was often only sunny and hot. We did hear some engine noise but not enough to prevent us from booking this cabin again.

If you have any specific questions, ask away. :) We did not travel with children so I won't be able to answer any questions regarding children's programs.

Beth

Archived