Halelkulani or Kahala Mandarin Oriental

TheDee

My husband and I will be staying on Oahu post cruise, ( Tahitian Princess), in July 2006. Both of these hotels look wonderful. Has anyone stayed at either of them?

Thanks, Linda

Halekulani and the Kahala are both wonderful hotels. If I had to pick, I'd give the nod to the Halekulani for being slightly more upscale. It also depends on what you want - the Kahala is outside of Waikiki and the beach there is more private than the the Halekulani (which is right smack dab in the middle of Waikiki Beach and the ensuing crowds). The Halekulani is in a great location if you want access to Waikiki and to be able to walk around. The Kahala is in the middle of a residential community and outside of the hotel itself, not much that's within close walking distance.

Spleen

The beach is public access so anyone can use it. But the problem with the Kahala is that it's difficult to get public access to the beach. The only access I'm aware of is through the hotel. While I'm sure that they wouldn't stop you, the other problem is where to park - there's really no public parking in the area besides the Kahala's garage and it can get pretty pricey if you're paying by the hour. One option might be to see if you can go the Kahala Beach Park (which is right before the Kahala Mandarin Oriental) which is a public beach park and MAY have parking. The beach there is not bad and if you really want to get to the hotel's beach, you can walk along the beach until you get there. There may be a breakwater right before you get to the hotel beach though that might force you into the water or to hop across rocks. :)

Spleen

Is there something wrong with the beach at the Mandarin? We thought that this hotel might be a good alternative to staying right on Waikiki. I think they have a shuttle service to shopping places and Waikiki, but we're looking for a hotel with a nice beach.

Linda

Sorry to confuse you, Linda. The sand at the Mandarin is brought in, so it's very nice. The beach is very nice, too, with a little lagoon created just for the Mandarin. But there's a reef a half mile out from the shore and the water is rather shallow. That's why I suggested that you don't dive in. Just go feet first.

Ever considered Turtle Bay Resort on the North Shore?

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60651-d87158-Reviews-Turtle_Bay_Resort-Kahuku_Oahu_Hawaii.html

I'm no travel agent, so there's nothing in it for me.

:cool:

We did look at Turtle Bay as an option for us. We will be staying on Oahu post cruise for 3 nights after sailing on the Tahitian Princess starting in Papeete. In addition to a quiet hotel, (that's why we were not too crazy about staying right on Waikiki),we wanted someplace that would be easily accessible to the airport.

Linda

When all's said and done though, the Kahala IS a nicer hotel than Turtle Bay (I've stayed at both, even after the renovations at Turtle Bay). Turtle Bay is good for when you REALLY want to get away from town and want to stay on the North Shore. Kahala is good for staying in town but away from the crowds of Waikiki. :)

Spleen

The Mandarin is at least 15 miles (and probably more like 20, but if I'm wrong I'm sure someone will "gently" correct me) from the pier.

If I had to choose, my hotel preferences (from a visitor's standpoint; we've not stayed in them only walked through and had beverages or food--never miss the Royal's Mai Tai bar; in fact DH broke one of my souvenier glasses once and I made him take me to Oahu for a day trip the next visit just so we could get me another, well that and he wanted to do the Missouri again) are these (in order of preference):

1. Mandarin. For the dolphins, location out of Waikiki yet close enough to go play there, high-end feel, and beauty.

2. Halekulani. Very close call here between 1 and 2. For the luxury, pampering, pool, food, and in Waikiki yet not of Waikiki feeling.

3. Royal Hawaiian. The Pink Lady for the gorgeous gardens and grounds, mai tai bar right by the beach, old style Hawaii appeal, terrific staff, and atmosphere.

4. Surfrider. For the old-style Hawaii charm and history, slightly different plantation like "feel," and welcoming staff.

5. Anywhere else. Which is usually where we can afford to stay. LOL. Next time, it's going to be fewer nights at one of the first 4.

As for chaises, do you mean staying as a guest? If so, then they are usually included (although there are cabana type things that usually cost extra). If you mean could you just show up (as a non-guest) and rent/use the resort's equipment, the answer is an almost universal no.

The reason is because the guests have paid for the privilege and expect the equipment to be available. I'd be mighty ticked if I was a guest at a resort and couldn't use a lounge because they were all occupied by non-guests.

All of the beaches in Hawaii are public, and you can just plop yourself right between those lounges, but the items on the beach (lounges, cabanas, and the like, as well as the resort facilities of course) belong solely to the individual resorts and are not available for use or rent by the general public. However, you can easily buy a couple of $2 fold up mats and take them with you for any beach you choose. True, it's not nearly as nice as a shaded, padded lounger, but I've never been an unhappy beachchick just lying on my cheapie mat with my beach towel, hat, sunscreen, and soda. (BTW, for everyone who isn't aware, alcoholic beverages are not allowed on any beach in Hawaii. They are really cracking down on this, so please don't take the chance. It's unlike the Caribbean where the individual vendors rent you lounges and will happily supply you with alcohol all day. Not to discourage anyone, but it's best to know, IMO.)

Whichever you choose, you can't go wrong. But if you want to spend time in Waikiki, the Halekulani would be my call because you won't have a car. Although, you could always hop The Bus to get around, thus saving taxi fees. May I suggest you reconsider the car rental? Unless you are really set against it, it's absolutely the best way to get around in Hawaii.

beachchick

Coming from the airport or from Aloha Tower, the amount of time that it takes to get to the Mandarin versus any hotel in Waikiki is roughly about the same - it is somewhat farther than Waikiki but the lack of traffic around Kahala makes it much easier to get to.

I'd also throw in the J.W. Marriott Ihilani into that mixture of hotels for consideration. A unique location and a beautiful layout makes for a great hotel. There's a reason why the NFL puts up the Pro Bowl players here. :)

Spleen

If this is your 1st trip to Waikiki, I would suggest you stay at a Waikiki hotel -- if you have been there before, I would suggest the outlying hotel(s). The beach/hotel/shopping atmosphere at W is something!! Another place to consider is the area southeast of main part of Waikiki toward Diamond Head past the Natatorium -- several nice hotels down there & out of the way a bit. Also the Marriott and a few others are the farthest south in the main part of Waikiki beach close to the large park/zoo/etc.

Archived