Denali Help Needed

I am Lulu

We are booked on HAL land tour D1L, Triple Denali, for the last days of June this year. One of our days in Denali will be spent on the included "Tundra Wilderness Tour". The next day, I have booked an ATV Adventure for my husband from 8am to 12 noon. My problem is, I don't know what to do with the rest of that day. The only thing I came up with, was to go back into Denali on a tour bus or a shuttle bus...we do love seeing wildlife. However, my husband feels that after spending 8 hours on a tour bus, that we're not going to want to turn around, and do the same thing for another 8 hours, the very next day. I'm afraid, that he may be right, but we haven't been to Denali before, so we really don't know. He's also concerned that I may be tuckered out by then. So my questions are;

if I don't make advanced reservations, and we decide that we do want to go again, is it possible to still purchase tickets for a tour or the shuttle bus, that day.

If we decide we don't want to spend all that time on a bus again, then what can we do around the area? (No flights, and I can't do the rafting, they don't allow you to, if you have neck problems). We are more of sightseers, rather than hikers...if you know what I mean. Is there a little town to walk around?

If you have any information, or suggestions for me, I would very much appreciate hearing what you have to say.

Thanks!!!

You can walk into the WAC and buy tickets for the next shuttle anytime. They usually aren't very crowded in the afternoon. You can wait to see what the weather is doing and decide if you want to go into the park or not. Also, on the shuttle you can get off whenever you want and catch another shuttle back.

The free shuttle to Savage River - 15 miles - we highly recommend. It runs every couple hours. Depending on weather when you do the long trip, you may actually get to see wonderful views on this second trip into the park. We recommend doing the two mile hike/walk at Savage River. You go up one side of the river for a mile, cross a bridge and come back the other side. There are restrooms. The trail is level for the most part so really a walk more than a hike. We saw bears when we did this in May of 2015. A mother and yearling and then a mother and new cubs. Also, there is a shuttle to see the Huskies. This is free - not an excursion. Short demonstration and lots of time to pet the dogs. Hike along the river. Schedule a helicopter tour to a glacier. We did the three nights at Denali and packed in all the above. Edited to add that yes, you can book tours once there depending on how you feel and the weather. There were plenty of openings for the helicopter tours.

Edited by rslinky

the park holds back some tickets from the reservation system so there are usually seats available day of, esp for only 2 people. I have NO problem with B2B shuttle trips! But it's all subjective.

The Sled Dog demo is a nice option. You can either take the courtesy bus to the kennel or follow the trails. They're at 10, 2 and 4pm. There are ranger led hikes, there are trails around the entrance area, films, exhibits, etc.

https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/ranger-programs.htm

Savage River Trail is an easy RT trail, at the Mile 15 checkpoint. Reached by a courtesy bus. https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/savage-river-area.htm

Look thru the Park Newsletter for further details.

https://www.nps.gov/dena/learn/news/upload/Alpenglow2016_interactive.pdf

The Chamber of Commerce also has a list of activities/excursions.

http://www.a1cms.com/_dcc/activities/

Edited by mapleleaves

I am late in reading this thread, but another idea for Lulu would be a visit to the Denali Visitor Center. This two level center has interesting displays regarding Denali's history, critters and plants. Across the "plaza" from the DVC is a book store and also the Morino Grill for those interested in a bite to eat.

The Murie Science and Learning Center is a quick walk from the DVC; in addition to the science displays the Murie Center has a beautiful quilt which is a vegetation map of Denali National Park.

I am late in reading this thread, but another idea for Lulu would be a visit to the Denali Visitor Center. This two level center has interesting displays regarding Denali's history, critters and plants. Across the "plaza" from the DVC is a book store and also the Morino Grill for those interested in a bite to eat.

The Murie Science and Learning Center is a quick walk from the DVC; in addition to the science displays the Murie Center has a beautiful quilt which is a vegetation map of Denali National Park.

I didn't make it to the Murie Science and Learning Centre but found the Visitor Centre to be very interesting. They also play a short film (20mins) which I enjoyed. I also spent a fortune in the book store :o

I am sorry I didn't make it over to the learning centre as I would love to have seen that quilt! Now I'll just have to go back some other year!

Edited by Daffodil17

The most amazing quilt is on display at Eielson Vistors Center! I make a point of visiting it whenever I take the shuttle.

I saw that one and agree it is amazing! :)

The quilt at the Eielson Visitor's Center is a commissioned piece by Denali area quilter Ree Nancarrow. For those who haven't seen it -- it is spectacular. She dyes most of the fabrics she uses, and her work has been featured in national quilting magazines. Every other year the Fairbanks quilting guild, Cabin Fever Quilters, sponsors a month-long quilt display at the Fairbanks Arts Association gallery, and Ree generally has one on display. Frequently hers is voted the visitor's choice winner. Her work is incredible.

There are also a variety of walking trails around the visitor center area, as well as Ranger led trail walk at 10am each day (~3mi / 2hrs). Don't forget the Ranger dog sled discussion and demo as well (free).