Balcony Right or Left Side

astridwilson

We are booked in cabin 9002 on the right side (starboard). I booked on the right thinking that IF the ship went around the south of the Big Island instead of the North that the Right would offer a better view; however the Port side is still available and is this a better view? We are staying over night post cruise in Volcano.

We are booked in cabin 9002 on the right side (starboard). I booked on the right thinking that IF the ship went around the south of the Big Island instead of the North that the Right would offer a better view; however the Port side is still available and is this a better view? We are staying over night post cruise in Volcano.

I'm not sure what the odds are that there would be a lava flow into the ocean in Hawaii. There has been none for a few years. So not good odds that your starboard cabin would get you anything special. Even if a flow should occur in that direction again before you sail, it is my understanding that the ship is pretty far out, and the flow resembles a red dot or glow in the distance for a fairly short time.

On the other hand, the POA sails by the Na Pali coastline in Kauai every single week. The views off the port side are spectacular. And the coastline is miles long and you have this view for a very long time.

You might compromise and book an aft facing cabin which would have views of both starboard and port. They are usually a little more expensive than other balconies. Whatever you end up booking, there is still plenty of public decks to view from. No need to stay in your cabin.

I love the view from the aft of the ship leaving Hilo on the north side. With good visibility, you have a nice clear view of the volcanoes for a long time. It's one of my favorite times on the cruise.