Luggage for cruise portion

oma&opa

We did a 12-day cruise tour with HAL in 2004 that started in Fairbanks. We had all our bags delivered to (and picked up from) our rooms in Fairbanks and Anchorage, but had only carry-ons with us while in Denali with larger suitcases meeting us at Anchorage hotel.

It's been a while so I don't know if procedures have changed.

Our CruiseTour was with RCI but I can't imagine the luggage handling would be that much different. We packed bags specifically for the cruise and bags specifically for the land tour. We were given tags by our land tour operator identifying SHIP bags and LAND bags. SHIP bags stayed on the bus and were never delivered to our room during the land tour. We retrieved the SHIP bags as we were ready to board the ship.

Marge, did you have a chance to transfer some of your belongings from your checked bag to your carry on during the first night at the hotel? We're doing a land/cruise tour and there's a couple things that I need to pack into my checked bags for the airport that I can transfer to my carry on once I'm at the hotel.

All of our luggage from the plane was delivered to our room when we checked in so we had access to all of our bags before we attached the appropriate tags. The bags were loaded on to the bus the morning we actually began the land tour.

We did not try to do our land tour with just a carry-on as ours was 6 days. We had one bag for the land portion and one bag for the cruise portion. My carry-on only had essentials like medication, documents etc. Good luck with you packing!

We are sailing Princess and flying into Fairbanks to do an 8 day land tour before the cruise. I printed all the material on the princess site about our cruise and it said that all luggage goes to the hotel with us in Fairbanks and once there, we will be given a luggage tag for any luggage that will go to the ship. I would think that it works the same for all the cruise tours?

I haven't any of the answer, but this is how it was handled for us on our 3 day portion after our recent Celebrity cruise:

First night you get all your luggage and you're supplied differently colored tags. One color indicates which bags you want delivered to each night and which bags can remain on the bus or locked up. It was suggested that you also keep a "go bag" with you. The bag you would basically carry with you all the time. It would have your medications, snacks if needed, etc.

I would assume it's a similar process for land portions prior to a cruise. The "fun part" is packing your bags properly before leaving. :)