June 2016 Sun northbound review with DIY RV land tour

cupojo6

There are so many gifted writers and knowledgable contributors on cc whose reviews and advice I absorbed while preparing for this trip that I'm not sure I'll have much to add with my comments. Although this is my fourth cruise, I've never written a trip review until now. But there are some aspects of this trip that I think may be helpful or interesting to others.

First, a bit about ourselves. We are a party of seven: DH and I are in our early 50's, with our four children ages 23, 20, 16 and 15, and my 76 y/o mom who is diabetic and somewhat mobility impaired and requires a wheelchair to cover distances. This is our first time to travel with a wheelchair. We are actually using a transport chair with smaller wheels that comes apart to make it a bit easier to transport and fit in our rental cars.

This trip was something my parents always wanted to do but were unable to enjoy before my dad passed away. My mom invited us to join her on her bucket list adventure! Her three requests were to see glaciers, whales and Denali! I can't wait to see how that turns out! Off to the airport!

Seven people, 3 pat downs, 12 carry ons, 2 bag inspections, 14 bare feet, and 1 wheelchair all through security! The vacation can officially begin!

We started planning this trip last October and were quickly overwhelmed by the number of decisions and amount of advance preparation this trip required! We decided on a northbound cruise out of Vancouver that included GBNP so we could enjoy the increasingly beautiful scenery on the way north and then travel the interior a bit before heading home from Anchorage. We chose June in hopes of drier weather in spite of it being a bit early for salmon and bears. We chose the Sun because its itinerary included the Inside Passage, GBNP and a special they were having when we booked. I was a little nervous about the small size of the ship, mainly for two reasons. I've read that the seas in this area can be rough and was afraid we would feel a lot of motion on a smaller ship and secondly, the lack of shipboard activities for my teens. They've experienced the plethora of activities and shows offered on some of the bigger ships like RCL's Navigator and Allure and NCL's Getaway. But, we took to heart the repeated reminders that Alaska was the destination and not the sip and packed plenty of motion sickness meds!

Based on the advice in this forum, we quickly began booking hotels and rental cars and just as quickly discovered how expensive Alaska was going to be. Since there were 7 of us with luggage and a wheelchair, we required at least 2 rooms and 2 rental cars for every booking. Plus, we needed transportation from Seward where we would disembark the ship. And one way rentals (x2 in our case) from Seward are extremely pricey! Although we were tempted by a scenic train ride or the more economical but still scenic bus ride, we really wanted the ability to stop and explore along the way to Anchorage. In the end, we cancelled the hotels and rental cars and rented a 32' RV that sleeps 8 for the DIY land portion of our trip. We opted to pay a little more for them to bring the RV to us in Seward because it was still less expensive or close in cost than 2 one way rentals or 7 of us taking the train or paying for a tour, and it gave us the option of going at our own pace with room for my mom to stretch out and relax while we did things she might be unable to do.

Woohoo! Time to board. More to come.

I would like to take a minute to talk about our flight arrangements. Especially since I am writing this portion while on the first leg of our journey by air. 😉 I used google air and the flight matrix to research flights in various combinations to try to find the best price. We decided to fly Southwest into Seattle and then rent a van and a full size car to drive into Canada as it was cheaper than airfare for 7 directly into Vancouver. And, the flight times were so much better. We have been so happy with Southwest. They have an option for "passengers of size" or those with other physical issues that require additional room (like my mom being able to have space to raise her legs while sitting for a long period) to book a second seat. You pay for both seats but are then reimbursed for the extra seat after your flight. They provided someone at the gate to assist us onto the plane with priority boarding. The two of us sat in the very roomy bulkhead row of three seats with an empty seat between us. She was able to prop her legs up straight out in front of her and even shift to stretch out to the side where the empty seat was between us. We were all also happy to have 2 free checked bags each. Packing for all kinds of weather for two weeks without being certain of laundry facilities (or wanting to do laundry at all instead of enjoying Alaska!) requires quite a bit of packing. At least, it did for us! Checked baggage fees add up quickly! You should definitely take that into consideration when comparing fares. Anyway, so many airlines are cutting back these days that we really appreciated even the little things like the cookie and pretzel snacks. Wifi was available for an $8/day charge or $2 for inflight texting.

About cell phones and internet...our carrier is ATT. I checked with them the day before leaving about coverage in Canada. We were able to add not only "free" unlimited roaming to our plan but unlimited data for everyone as well for the duration of our trip for just a few dollars. This option is also available for travel to Mexico and the Caribbean so definitely check with your carrier before resigning yourself to airplane mode and hit or miss wifi. Note that this does not apply to the cruise ship. Still at their mercy while in board and away from shore range.

We have just landed and there is a gate attendant waiting at the walkway with the wheelchair so I must sign off again. If anyone is finding this even remotely helpful, I will continue to try to provide updates as our trip progresses.

Thank you! We are on the June 27 northbound Sun itinerary with a group of 13 (2 families, 3 generations) and then 9 of us are taking the train to Anchorage to pick up RVs for Denali! So yes! This is much more than remotely helpful! I don't want it to detract from you being in the moment but to the extent you enjoy and have time to keep us updated I'll be hanging on your every word! Have a great day in Vancouver tomorrow!

We are doing this exact trip one year from now. Anxious to hear about everything...the ports of call, excursions, the condition of the ship (heard there was a dry dock), the food, the sights, the experiences.

Have a wonderful time in Vancouver tomorrow!

We are considering an Alaskan cruise on the Sun next summer so will follow this thread very closely. It sounds like you did an awesome job of planning...I know the logistics for Alaska can be a bit tricky!

Have a great trip and make lots of memories together as a family!

Our next flight was uneventful and we arrived in Seattle ten minutes early. After collecting our luggage, DH and I took the airport shuttle to the rental car facility. As I mentioned earlier, I had reserved 2 cars - a van and a full size car - in order to accommodate the 7 of us with all our luggage for the ride to Vancouver. At the time, it was cheaper than renting a large 12 passenger van. One way rentals across the border are more expensive and the added one way fee is affected by the length of the reservation. So, I made the one way reservations for one day and another reservation for just a van that we would pick up the next day when we returned the first rentals at the Vancouver airport. We would only need one van to fit all of us without luggage while we were sightseeing in Canada. Anyway, when the Budget rental rep heard our plan, he gave us a lower rate on a brand new 12 passenger van. We were able to do this since we hadn't prepaid. It was very comfortable with large windows all around. It was so nice to be all together! And for less money!

We returned to the airport baggage claim area to pick up our party and hit the road. Traffic was horrible leaving Seattle! I can't imagine how much worse it would've been on a weekday or during rush hour. I'm so thankful we arranged our afternoon arrival to allow plenty of time to make it to Vancouver with enough daylight to have a look around. We finally left the traffic behind and enjoyed some beautiful scenery on the way to the border.

The border crossing took about 10 minutes - 5 waiting in line and another 5 at the checkpoint. We are from Louisiana and the border guard had actually lived there for awhile and was a big LSU fan! He asked about our mascot, Mike the Tiger, who has cancer and bantered with my kids about some differences between LA and Canada and then we were on our way again.

We chose to stay near the airport because of having to switch and return rental cars there and the hotels in the Richmond area were much less expensive than those downtown. We have two rooms at the Holiday Inn Express near the airport in Richmond. It is not in the most scenic of areas but there is a Costco right next door, a number of restaurants & easy access to the sky train and highway. We had a late dinner at the Chinese restaurant across the street called Shanghai Wonderful. It was delicious, the staff was friendly and the bill with tip was around $100. Our rooms are clean, the beds are comfortable and the included breakfast has all the usual hot and cold items typically offered. One surprise: Louisiana hot sauce! Didn't expect to find that in Canada!

Edited by cupojo6

We have two rooms at the Holiday Inn Express near the airport in Richmond. It is not in the most scenic of areas but there is a Costco right next door,

a number of restaurants & easy access to the sky train and highway. We had a late dinner at the Chinese restaurant across the street called Shanghai Wonderful. It was delicious, the staff was friendly and the bill with tip was around $100.

We started day 2 by filling up the tank before returning the van to the airport. Interestingly, all of the gas stations are full service. It was $39 USD to top off the tank. Since we enjoyed the large van so much, we inquired about the possibility of switching our next rental to do the same. This time it cost a little bit more than the reservation we had but we decided the extra space and large windows was worth it. We planned to spend the day driving north of Vancouver to Whistler and thought this would be more comfortable. And it was!

Whistler is about 78 miles north of Vancouver. You can make the drive along the incredibly scenic Sea to Sky Hwy in about an hour and a half if you don't stop to take in the sights. It took us almost 8 hours! Most of the scenic pull offs were on the other side of the hwy so we didn't really stop to look on the way up. Our time was spent primarily at Shannon Falls and Brandywine Falls and a brief stop for lunch.

Mountains are a big deal to us folks from south Louisiana. We were thrilled with the views of the snow tipped peaks along the way. Just a hint of things to come!

Our first stop was Shannon Falls Park. You can get a glimpse of the falls from the road, but I highly recommend stopping to enjoy the short walk and the view. We pulled into a large parking area and headed into the park. There were picnic tables and a small gift shop at the head of the paved path to the falls viewing area. We were able to easily push the wheelchair up a slightly inclined path to the viewing platform. There is a lower pressed gravel & dirt path that leads to the stream below the falls and a dirt and stone path with steps that leads up to another platform with a different vantage point of the falls. The thunderous falls are breathtakingly beautiful and the air sweet with the smell of fir trees. There were numerous wildflowers along the path. Great photo op and treat for all the senses!

We finally pulled ourselves away and continued on to our next destination which was Brandywine Falls. If you think there is no way to top the beauty of Shannon Falls, you're wrong!

The path to Brandywine Falls isn't really long but it is a bit longer than Shannon Falls and not paved so we left my mom in the van to rest and wait for us. When we got to the falls, the view was so beautiful that my DH went back to get her. We were able to push the chair without any trouble. I'm so glad we did because the falls are impressive. They drop several hundred feet into a beautiful canyon. There is a second viewing spot not too far past the first and definitely worth the extra walk.

Whistler was just a few miles down the road and served as our turnaround point. The drive back was equally beautiful as the sun lit up and then dipped below the snow capped peaks and waterways. We were back in Vancouver in less than 2 hours, made a quick stop for a poutine snack, then back to the hotel to attach our ship tags in preparation for the next day's departure on the Sun.

Interestingly, all of the gas stations are full service. It was $39 USD to top off the tank. Since we enjoyed the large van so much, we inquired about the possibility of switching our next rental to do the same.

Our first stop was Shannon Falls Park. You can get a glimpse of the falls from the road, but I highly recommend stopping to enjoy the short walk and the view.

Thoughts....

• love minivan's. When renting from Thrifty's.... I ask for the "Town and Countries" if they are available. They come with a bigger engine and come with an overhead screen for the kids. There is only so much mountains and water they can snort before getting board.
  • warning minivan's are easy targets for valuables in tourist attraction parking lots around Vancouver. They just look through the window to see backpacks and luggage.
  • Richmond and Coquitlam stations are full serve. I have a similar reaction when driving through Oregon.
  • I recommend Shannon Falls stop on the return trip to Vancouver. If you visit in the morning.... you are in the shadow of the falls or mountain side. It's cold and pictures are dark. Going in the late afternoon/evening on the return has the sunlight.

Monday morning was cool and rainy. The hotel was busy. We were running late. Managed a quick breakfast and then fought traffic all the way to Canada Place. Glad we left plenty of time to get there and return the van.

We had no problem boarding. We went straight to guest services to change room keys. DH and I had a drink package that was tied to the balcony room we gave to my mom and two daughters. I had tried to do this ahead of time but was unable to. We thought we might have to settle for extra keys but there was no problem.

We have 3 midship cabins on deck 10: Two sideways facing interiors and one balcony across the hall. We have not detected any bad smell on any of the aft elevators, stairwells or decks we have been on.

After lunch in the nearly empty mdr and a quick tour of the ship, we went up to the Observation Lounge to wait for sail away - which, by the way, was delayed by more than an hour. The reward for the wait was clearing skies and beautiful sunshine. It was a picture perfect sail away.

Hi. I hope the remainder of ur trip was exciting! I am from la. Also. Lafayette. My hubby, my dad and I are going on a HAL ship leaving July 31 northbound then doing a land package to Denali few nights. I scheduled this trip lots later then I usually plan one. My mother has been sick for about 8 years. Dads always wanted to go to Denali. Mom passed away in April and I am afraid dad can't hold out till next summer so we booked not quite 1 month ago meaning I have lots to research in a short while. God thing is dad is really excited and doesn't do the Internet but he's making hotel reservations etc just the old fashion way. I am very interested in ur review! Again I hope it's going great! [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 months later...