Capri day trip

hexdragon

I am in the middle of planning my trip to Capri from Naples via the ferry. As I was looking at the ferry schedule I realized I had no idea how long I needed. I would hate to have to rush and worry about missing my return ferry. the flip side is I would hate to be done seeing everything and still have two hours to kill...

How long would you set aside to tour Capri? I guess I want to do the usual touresty things, ride the funicula and the chairlift, see the Augustus gardens and I Faraglioni..

We would suggest spending the entire day on Capri...which is not as long as you would expect. Keep in mind that the fast boats still take about 50 min each way. And then you have to factor-in getting to the ferry pier a little early, the time to get from Marina Grande up to Capri Town (and elsewhere). One is also advised not to use the last possible boat back to Naples...so many folks will leave Capri by 4...which means heading down to Marina Grande....no later then 3:30. And it does take time, if you want to do things like go up to Anacapri to take the Chairlift (something we recommend) or take a boat over to the Blue Grotto (one of the world's great tourist traps). And we cannot imagine visiting Capri without spending at least 1 hour (sometimes 2) enjoying a nice lunch.

Hank

There are about a million things worse than having to kill an hour or two on Capri, please don't worry about this.

The funicular is merely a form of mass transit, nothing terribly exciting and as it travels up through a tunnel, there's no view to be had (spoiler alert). Therefore, to get away from the hordes waiting on line for it, I suggest going directly from Marina Grande to Anacapri as soon as you hit the island. You can take the public bus or, much more fun and comfortable, take one of the open air taxis. It is well worth the €23 fare. Once at Anacapri, go directly to the chair lift and do this first thing, as later in the day the lines will grow and grow.

When you get back from the chair lift, explore Anacapri at your leisure and when you've had enough, go down to Capri and explore there.

By following this routing you'll avoid the worst of the crowds, at least in the morning.

Edited by euro cruiser

Well my itinerary says we dock at 7:00 AM and leaves at 8:00 PM. So I can probably take one of the later ferries (5:10 / 5:35 / 6:10) and still get back from an hour and a 1/2 to at a minimum of 45 minutes before the ship leaves. Or is that cutting it to close?

You won't have to race off the ship, which will be nice, since the first ferry you'll be able to get doesn't depart until 8:05 AM (schedule here: http://www.capri.net/en/ferry-schedule?from=napoli&to=capri).

That puts you on the island a little before 9 AM. That ferry is with SNAV and while there's no need to go back and forth with the same operator, if the 6:10 PM SNAV return (arrives just before 7 PM) works for you, you might as well purchase round trip tickets in the morning so you don't have to worry about it later in the day. That gives you a nice, long day on Capri. If you have a lower tolerance for risk the 5:10 still affords you eight full hours on the island.

You might want to spend a little time digging around on the Capri.net web site to see all that there is to see and do on the island. It's quite possible to get away from all the crowds if you want to.

You can also purchase your ferry tickets in advance if that makes you more comfortable: http://www.snav.it/en/timetable-and-fares.html

Edited by euro cruiser