Possible to book cabin as a single and add a passenger later

Jacqueline

Not sure if this is phased properly.

In a week I am hoping to book two or three segments, two on a TA with the fjords in between (a big maybe).

Not sure who will be able to join me. I would love to have my partner come on one of them, but he can't commit yet due to our huge home renovation project and his reticence to leave.

If I book a cabin as a single with the supplement can I add a person and would the price be adjusted ? I am pretty sure there are no name changes permitted.

This is such a wonderful forum with such a knowledgable and generous group. I can't wait to meet you all onboard.

Thanks in advance.

As an aside, it looks like I can so a TA, change to the QE2 to do rhe fjords and get back in time for the return. It's less expensive by a lot and also avoids Hamburg and is two days shorter. That I don't want to go there, but changing ships and saving a lot of money are both good things.

In a week I am hoping to book two or three segments, two on a TA with the fjords in between (a big maybe).

Not sure who will be able to join me. I would love to have my partner come on one of them, but he can't commit yet due to our huge home renovation project and his reticence to leave.

If I book a cabin as a single with the supplement can I add a person and would the price be adjusted ? I am pretty sure there are no name changes permitted.

This is such a wonderful forum with such a knowledgable and generous group. I can't wait to meet you all onboard.

Thanks in advance.

As an aside, it looks like I can so a TA, change to the QE2 to do rhe fjords and get back in time for the return. It's less expensive by a lot and also avoids Hamburg and is two days shorter. That I don't want to go there, but changing ships and saving a lot of money are both good things.

We have booked a cabin as a single, and then added a second person, and also added a 3rd person after booking a cabin for 2. Apparently it depends on how fully booked the ship is, so it's a bit of a gamble, but certainly possible.

Your proposed trip sounds wonderful!

If I book a cabin as a single with the supplement can I add a person and would the price be adjusted ?

Hi Jacqueline,

Yes, no issues in booking a single person in a two-berth cabin and adding a second person later (as long as the ship is not already sailing at capacity). I've done this myself on two occasions and have known friends do this as well. In all cases this was done before final balance was due.

You pay the difference between the two fares (single occupancy + supplement becomes double occupancy with no supplement (of course)).

This was in the UK, bookings in the US may be different.

I seem to remember that the new fare was calculated at double the one-person fare (sans supplement) paid at the time of the original booking, regardless of whether the price for new bookings had risen or gone down.

Be aware that some very late bookings may have a "no change of details" clause (any change counts as a cancellation).

I am pretty sure there are no name changes permitted. This is such a wonderful forum with such a knowledgable and generous group. I can't wait to meet you all onboard. Thanks in advance. As an aside, it looks like I can so a TA, change to the QE2 to do rhe fjords and get back in time for the return. It's less expensive by a lot and also avoids Hamburg and is two days shorter. That I don't want to go there, but changing ships and saving a lot of money are both good things.
The QE2 retired in 2008, I expect you mean the QE?

Hope this helps a little, passengers from the US may have greater/more applicable knowledge for US bookings.

Have a great time :)

Edited by pepperrn

Usually no problem adding a second or third to a cabin. Where you might be refused is if the number people booked in cabins for your muster station and lifeboats. Each muster can have only a fixed number of passengers.

If a number of cabins in your muster station have 3 or 4 people in a cabin .

This will depend on your fare type. Here in the UK, if we book a normal fare we could add a second passenger (subject to the restrictions that others have mentioned). I did that myself some years ago. However, if we book a cheap fare, one on special offer, there are special clauses such as not being able to change the booking (which means we can't add anyone to it) or select our own dining time, etc.

My suggestion would be to book with Cunard direct and ask them the question as you book. They will have relevant information. Preferably ask them to email you with that information so that you have it in writing.