Dining Package - description versus my understanding

Looking at the dining packages offered on the Cruise Planner and I'm confused. My understanding is that THEY predetermine the restaurants you get with the packages. But the description implies you can reserve the restaurant you want (language copied as follows):

INSIDER TIPS

First courtesy dinner reservation will be made for Day 1 or Day 2

Make additional reservations on your first day onboard to guarantee preferred dining time and restaurants

Our staff can add your kids to your existing reservation at kid's prices once onboard

For restaurants with a la carte pricing, package includes a $30 credit towards the food portion of your bill

Which is correct or is it both? In other words, after the "courtesy" reservation on Day 1 or 2, you get to make your own choices??

The cruise line chooses the first restaurant and you choose the others on board. Also, some have reported being able to change the choice of the first restaurant given availability at other restaurants.

The cruise line chooses the first restaurant and you choose the others on board. Also, some have reported being able to change the choice of the first restaurant given availability at other restaurants.

Thanks Bob. I might take my chances since before I thought you didn't have any choice.... of course this means rushing after boarding to get my first choices done...but I can deal with that.

Actually, on Allure, they didn't even schedule our first night. We booked all 4 once on board. If you have Sabor, don't use one of your nights for that. From a cost standpoint, it doesn't make sense. You get a $30 pp credit. Our charges totaled didn't come close to that.

Actually, on Allure, they didn't even schedule our first night. We booked all 4 once on board. If you have Sabor, don't use one of your nights for that. From a cost standpoint, it doesn't make sense. You get a $30 pp credit. Our charges totaled didn't come close to that.

That would be even better (not even scheduling the first night). I have to figure out if there's even enough specialty dining we'd be interested in! Chops and Jamie's are a given I think. I have some time to think on it. I'm happy to hear good feedback though.

See if it's offered on your cruise planner. I know it's offered on Oasis class, but not sure if it's fleet-wide or not.

I've seen it on Vision and Radiance class ships. I doubt it's on Majesty and Empress.