Update on Cost of Living on Norwegian Cruise Ships

plane2port

I did a somewhat controversial post back in February about how much it would cost to sail for one month on one of Norwegian's cheaper ships. I chose to look at the cost of sailing for the month of February 2017 on the Norwegian Sky.

Many people commented that this was the wrong ship to choose because the itineraries are too short, and if they were going to stay on a cruise ship for a month they wouldn't do back to back 3- and 4-day itineraries.

Well, I agree with them but not for that reason only. The port charges are too high these cruises!

However, I've already done the research on these cruises back in February, and I wanted to go back and see what, if anything has changed.

The bottom line is that the base price of the cruises has remained the same, but the port fees have gone up, and the price of the gratuities has gone up as well.

The Sky is different from most other Norwegian ships in that they have "open bar." You don't buy the beverage package. In that case, do they charge an extra gratuity for the open bar? I know on the other ships that you are charged an extra 18% gratuity on the beverage package. Just wondering the details of how it works on the Sky.

If you're interested in the numbers, here's the post with the updated costs:

http://www.plane2port.com/june-update-cost-living-norwegian-cruise-ship/

For comparison, here's the post with the costs in February:

http://www.plane2port.com/cost-living-norwegian-cruise-ship/

The Sky is different from most other Norwegian ships in that they have "open bar." You don't buy the beverage package. In that case, do they charge an extra gratuity for the open bar?

No. The "open bar" pricing on the Sky includes any gratuities.