Norwegian Sky No Go For Great Stirrup Cap In August 2016

MarbleAngel

:(

I am so disappointed that our first cruise, August 22, 2016, Norwegian Sky will not be stopping at the Great Stirrup Cay Island. The reason for the itinerary change is NCL upgrading the amenities on Great Stirrup Cay Island. This was going to be my "practice site" for snorkeling.

We did book an independent excursion with Sea and Sail Snorkeling in Freeport, Grand Bahama Island. Also booked an independent for Culture of Nassau.

A big thank you to the community to avoid the Straw Market, Nassau. Making plans to stop at Bahama Hand Prints fabric store.

MarbleAngel

Does anyone know when they will be going to gsc again?

This came up when I Googled.

IMPORTANT:

ITINERARY CHANGE INFORMATION

Norwegian Cruise Line has important information for you regarding Norwegian Sky's 3-Day Bahamas sailings from Miami, Florida between August 26, 2016 and September 30, 2016. All guests booked on these sailings need to be aware of this change and travel professionals are asked to forward this information to their clients.

We continue to focus on The Norwegian Edge, our $400 million investment program dedicated to raising the brand's standard of excellence across the guest experience by focusing on ship refurbishments, upgrading our culinary experience and developing superior land-based private destination experiences. As part of this program, we will be significantly enhancing our offerings at Great Stirrup Cay, our private island in the Bahamas, to feature exciting new developments including a new half-acre entertainment and activities area, new inclusive luxury experiences, additional dining options and more. To accommodate these new features and enhancements, to make Great Stirrup Cay the premier private island in the Bahamas, the island will be closing to guests from August 25-October 20, 2016. As a result of the closure of the island, your cruise will now call on Grand Bahama Island instead of Great Stirrup Cay.

If you pre-booked shore excursions through Norwegian Cruise Line for Great Stirrup Cay, your pre-booked shore excursion reservations will be automatically cancelled. For a list of shore excursions in Grand Bahama Island, please visit our website at www.ncl.com/excursions or contact our shore excursion desk at 1-866-625-1167.

Thank you for your understanding. If you have any questions, please contact us at 800-327-7030 (Monday through Friday from 8am to midnight ET and Saturday and Sunday from 9am to 9pm ET). We look forward to welcoming you aboard Norwegian Sky.

Sincerely,

Vivian Ewart

Vice President, Passenger Services

the island will be closing to guests from August 25-October 20, 2016.

Since then, the big press release about the upgrades indicated that the new features would be rolled out on various dates between "by January 2017" and "summer 2017".

That leaves it unclear what the plan is for cruises between October 20th and January. Will they re-open the island in the midst of ongoing construction? Will they cancel these visits also? Who knows...?

The 4-day on the 14th and the 3-day on the 19th will be the last Sky visits to GSC. Picked the 19th specifically to fit between DD's 21st birthday and the closing of the island. Hopefully the weather will be good!

Since then, the big press release about the upgrades indicated that the new features would be rolled out on various dates between "by January 2017" and "summer 2017".

That leaves it unclear what the plan is for cruises between October 20th and January. Will they re-open the island in the midst of ongoing construction? Will they cancel these visits also? Who knows...?

My question exactly. We cruise in December and really want to go there. If the past is any indication, I could see it being ready way past October.

My question exactly. We cruise in December and really want to go there. If the past is any indication, I could see it being ready way past October.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, construction and upgrading will be continuing well into 2017. That does not mean the island will be closed. Construction and upgrading have been ongoing for the past 4 years at least, and the island has been open and functioning. Currently there may be areas which are closed or inaccessible (recently the lagoon area has been reported to be off limits) in order to facilitate the heavy construction phases. Other areas will remain open outside of the "full closure" dates.

Relax, go, enjoy!

• 2 months later...

Just found this site today. Was really looking forward to Great Stirrup Cay and now I read this! Did the same cruise in April, not a big fan of Nassau and didn't get off the ship in Freeport, instead chose to watch the loading/unloading of the cargo ships. (My choice, I was comfortable) Doing this again in October, with my Bride, adult Son and his roommate. Did I say that I was looking forward to Great Stirrup Cay?

Anyway, back to the chase. What is the deal with Grand Bahama? Do they have an alternate private island? Transportation?

I can't believe the only place I wanted to go to is no longer available.

Thanks. Looking forward to future conversations.

Just found this site today. Was really looking forward to Great Stirrup Cay and now I read this! Did the same cruise in April, not a big fan of Nassau and didn't get off the ship in Freeport, instead chose to watch the loading/unloading of the cargo ships. (My choice, I was comfortable) Doing this again in October, with my Bride, adult Son and his roommate. Did I say that I was looking forward to Great Stirrup Cay?

Anyway, back to the chase. What is the deal with Grand Bahama? Do they have an alternate private island? Transportation?

I can't believe the only place I wanted to go to is no longer available.

Thanks. Looking forward to future conversations.

Grand Bahama is a port city not a private island. Freeport. You've been there before.

GSC opens on October 20. When is your cruise?

If you are already booked, then your itinerary will show you the ports of call.

Grand Bahama is a port city not a private island. Freeport. You've been there before.

GSC opens on October 20. When is your cruise?

If you are already booked, then your itinerary will show you the ports of call.

Thanks for responding so quickly. I know that GBI is not a private island as I mentioned the last time I was there I never bothered to exit the ship. I watched air traffic and realised how far from the resort area the shipped docked.

This trip, early October I was just looking forward to GSC. Guess I'll settle for the pool again. NBD!