Food Poisoning on Majesty

We were on Majesty last week thought the MDR food was fine. I did not see any significant difference in the MDR food quality from several other Royal ships we've been on lately.

Bob,

Off topic BUT - I'm wondering if you've been on Liberty lately. I thought that was below the standard I've come to expect, and would love your take on it.

Staph is usually a skin infection. Most of us have it on our skin flora. It only causes a problem when there is a break in our skin integrity. E Coli is usually a urinary tract infection from the bowel. Particularly when women don't wipe front to back.

Do you even know what you are talking about? Did you just look up Google?

Newby,

I really don't want to get into the discussion about food poisoning, but must disagree about E Coli. I live in Milwaukee WI, and we had a few HUGE outbreaks in the early 90s from something in the drinking water. The symptoms were NOT those of a UTI! Many many people got very ill, some died and my SIL had a miscarriage.

Edited by payitforward

Bob,

Off topic BUT - I'm wondering if you've been on Liberty lately. I thought that was below the standard I've come to expect, and would love your take on it.

We were last on Liberty in March 2015, out of Ft. Lauderdale, and did not notice any significant difference in the MDR food.

Edited by clarea

We were last on Liberty in March 2015, out of Ft. Lauderdale, and did not notice any significant difference in the MDR food.

Thanks! I'll be back on her in April of next year. Wait! When in March of 2015 were you on? I was on the March 9th sailing.

Thanks! I'll be back on her in April of next year. Wait! When in March of 2015 were you on? I was on the March 9th sailing.

We got on March 19th and stayed for 9 days.

In this thread: No physicians.

Board Certified for ten years, licensed in five states

Do you even know what you are talking about?

Yes.

Staph is usually a skin infection. Most of us have it on our skin flora. It only causes a problem when there is a break in our skin integrity.

Staphylococcal food poisoning is very common. Caused by the release of staphylococcal toxins when the bacteria grows on foods. It tolerates salt and heat fairly well. So it's common on ham and sliced meats. It's also often passed in dairy that isn't pasteurized. Onset of illness is rapid and duration is very short.

E Coli is usually a urinary tract infection from the bowel. Particularly when women don't wipe front to back.

E coli is normal flora in the large intestine. So yes, it is the most common cause of UTIs. But that in no way means it doesn't cause food poisoning. Not sure if you were around in 1993, but it's why a lot of people still don't eat at Jack in The Box....

Newby,

I really don't want to get into the discussion about food poisoning, but must disagree about E Coli. I live in Milwaukee WI, and we had a few HUGE outbreaks in the early 90s from something in the drinking water. The symptoms were NOT those of a UTI! Many many people got very ill, some died and my SIL had a miscarriage.

I see what you are saying. However, faeces in the drinking water, E Coli, will cause a BIG problem. I was talking about about within the human body.

I don't believe you leisuretraveler

Believe what you like. It's a free country. I speak the truth. You agreed with the comment about Mayo Clinic, but I suspect you didn't even look at the link. It specifically mentions Staph Aureus food poisoning, and the time frame, which perfectly fits the description to OP gave.

I had what I think was food poisoning when I was in my late 20s. Was sick for hours and eventually went to the hospital because I started feeling like I was losing conscicness. The docs said it didn't matter what it was (b/c the treatment was the same) and they wouldn't test or do whatever to determine it unless their were reports of other similar cases. The only thing they tested me for was an appendices. So we never knew for sure what the issue was. I didn't eat much for about 2-3 days after. Brutal brutal night.

I really dont think anyone here will ever know for sure. I fact I know no one here will know for sure. Form the sound of it he never even got medical attention. So how could anyone here know with the few details provided. Do we know his age? Any other conditions? Other things he ate or did? Could he have picked something up pre cruise? Bit by a bug on an island? If a late teen maybe he snuck in a few drinks when the folks weren't looking? Maybe the pool was contaminated by the folks putting babies in swim diapers in the regular pools or hot tubs and he took in some of that? Maybe he is just developing a new allergy to something? Could be a million things to cause 10 minutes of committing. With that said the title of the thread is more than misleading. I agree this thread should have been termed quite differently.

Sorry to hear of that, but I don't think what your son experienced constituted food poisoning.

A couple of years back, we sailed on NCL, and both my dear wife and my Dad got hit by some type of food poisoning towards the end of the cruise. They were ill for 3 days (in bed) with plenty of vomitting and diarrhea and got well only on the day we disembarked!

Sounds like they had noro.

The docs said it didn't matter what it was (b/c the treatment was the same) and they wouldn't test or do whatever to determine it unless their were reports of other similar cases.

Sounds about right. The only time treatment is indicated is with specific infections in particular populations (i.e. immunocompromised or small toddlers with salmonella). Otherwise, as I always tell patients, don't think of the symptoms as the illness, think of them as the cure. There's something in there that's no good, and your body has two ways to "export" it, and it's likely to use both. It's unpleasant, but it is the solution!

The problem too is that "food poisoning" is often talked about like it's one thing. There are numerous different types that will have a variety of symptoms.

Having said that, for someone to have the experience the OP described in the time frame pointed out, as a physician, my biggest suspicion is that it would be from something the child ate. Is there any way of knowing that for certain now? Of course not. But it would be my best suspicion.

I also totally agree that posts about "food poisoning" on ships or in restaurants based on the experience of one individual is unnecessarily alarmist. "Food poisoning" is of public relevance when it's widespread. But as stated numerous times, isolated incidences happen all the time.

Incidentally..........

I had salmonella food poisoning once. Confirmed by a doctor via lab tests. It lasts more than a day. I was very sick for 6 days. I had to get IV fluids at one point.

It could have been anything.

Incidentally..........

I had salmonella food poisoning once. Confirmed by a doctor via lab tests. It lasts more than a day. I was very sick for 6 days. I had to get IV fluids at one point.

It could have been anything.

Salmonella SUCKS! It lasts soooo long, and there's nothing that makes you feel better....