Blood donation after stopping in Labadee.

OneBlood is a scam...you "donate" your blood for free, they sell it to hospitals and pay their CEO a hefty salary. They should be paying you.

If you want to donate blood go directly to the hospital

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but almost all blood banks charge recipients for receiving blood. I've had numerous blood transfusions due to leukemia treatments and even with designated donor blood I'm still charged.

We did an emergency blood drive for the Orlando victims and I also donated blood via Oneblood this week. I answered yes that I had been out of the country, they asked me where, I said the Caribbean, they said okay, and that was it.!

According to the American Red Cross site, there is no upper age limit for blood donation as long as you are well with no restrictions or limitations to your activities.

It also says that if you have chronic conditions like diabetes or hypertension, you can donate as long as those conditions are well-controlled

http://www.redcrossblood.org/donating-blood/eligibility-requirements/eligibility-criteria-topic

The Red Cross site is probably the best source of information on restrictions for donation. I've been deferred for life now since the '90's for being stationed in Germany during the early days of human cases of Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (mad cow disease), which is still listed on that page.

Yes, Canadian Blood Services.

Tried to donate blood in April of 2016. Because we had been in

Puerto Vallarta in Jan 2016 . We where told that we couldn't donate for 12 months . Any visit to Central America country restricts blood donations in Canada.

Tried to donate blood in April of 2016. Because we had been in Puerto Vallarta in Jan 2016 . We where told that we couldn't donate for 12 months . Any visit to Central America country restricts blood donations in Canada.

Exactly the reason why I took my name of the donate call list. We cruise 2-3 times a year and visit Sandals as well. As much as I would like to give, it didn't make sense for them to call me every month or two about making a donation.

According to the American Red Cross site, there is no upper age limit for blood donation as long as you are well with no restrictions or limitations to your activities.

It also says that if you have chronic conditions like diabetes or hypertension, you can donate as long as those conditions are well-controlled

http://www.redcrossblood.org/donating-blood/eligibility-requirements/eligibility-criteria-topic

Thanks for the info. The link is very helpful. Appreciate it.

I donate blood at "Children's Hospital Orange County" CHOC in California regularly. I have been deferred, from donating, several times because of travel into Malaria areas of the Caribbean. A stop in Costa Rica on the west bound Panama Canal cruise deferred me for a year. A stop in Puerto Vallarta also cost me a year. More recently a trip to the Mexican Riviera deferred me for 28 days because of Sitka.

CHOC uses the FDA's recommendations for blood donations. The FDA recommendations changed to the 24 or 48 hour rule just in the last few years.

CHOC is very strict because my donation goes straight to Neonate babies.

During my Puerto Vallarta deferral, Red Cross was happy to take my blood.

Thanks to all the people that donate blood. It doesn't make any difference if someone is making money off the donation, the blood is doing someone some good.

Tim

PS, I am 63 and I have been donating at CHOC as often as I can since my child was in the NICU at CHOC 18 years ago.