New York LGA for Princess Cruise - Hotel and Transportation

MTNestr

Thinking about booking a late October 2016 Princess Cruise out of New York and need some advice. The plans are to fly into LGA late afternoon the day before (midweek).

Would it be better to spend the night at a LGA hotel and schedule a transfer for the day of the cruise? or would it be better to find a hotel near the cruise port?

My main concern is for the best hotel at the best price preferably under $200. Any good suggestions on hotels?

Thinking about booking a late October 2016 Princess Cruise out of New York and need some advice. The plans are to fly into LGA late afternoon the day before (midweek).

Would it be better to spend the night at a LGA hotel and schedule a transfer for the day of the cruise? or would it be better to find a hotel near the cruise port?

My main concern is for the best hotel at the best price preferably under $200. Any good suggestions on hotels?

What is your exact date that you need a hotel? How many people? How much is a transfer? If you stay at LGA, you should to be sure there is a free hotel shuttle. Hotels like Comfort Inn, Holiday Inn, Fairfield Inn, and Best Western would be in your budget range. I'm sure the New Yorkers will offer more specific advice.

I don't see any advantage to staying near the Cruiseport in Brooklyn. The hotel pool is not large and aside from the Comfort Inn, nothing is really close to the port.

Check out the roll call for this cruise,you will be able to get very detailed info from locals and people who have done this cruise many times.:)

Do you want to do anything during your overnight visit in New York City? If you stay near the airport at LGA, there is nothing in Queens worth seeing near LaGuardia in my opinion. You'd need to take a bus or taxi into the city. You are kind of stuck, so if resting in a mediocre hotel room is what you want to do, then stay near LGA.

If you stay in Brooklyn you at least are closer to a subway line if you want to go into New York City or see some parts of Brooklyn during your evening and morning before your cruise. Long Island City in Queens has turned into a bit of a hotel district since it has easy subway access and lower prices. It's not the nicest area compared to Manhattan to wander around, but is lower priced and is super easy to get into Manhattan on the subway.

Manhattan requires an unpleasant bus journey or taxi and finding a hotel for $200 a night can be tricky in October. There are some, but you'll have to search for them. Transportation costs go up going into Manhattan and then out to Brooklyn with luggage.

Edited by Roseflyer