Summit Celebrity- May 20, 2006

tropicaltravellers

If you want to see Seward, then book your land touring independent. NONE of the cruisetours offer much if any time in this gem of a city. Top attraction are the Kenai Fjords boat tours, look at, at least 6 hours on the water. You can take the Alaska RR to Anchorage after an overnight in Seward allowing you two days of great touring here. Consider a rental car out of Anchorage and head to Denali park perhaps? Ideal is an extra week, squeeze out all the time possible. Plenty of excellent adventures await. :) Look at http://www.toursaver.com for some great coupon options.

We are hoping to add a week (depending on the cruise air.. will they let us add independent tour and still use their air??). Probably spend 3 days in Seward, and 2 days in Anchorage (hubby has a childhood friend there). I wanted to go to Denali, but we are going in May, and it looks like we can't get into the 'best' sections of the park at that time. I would rather spend time and do Seward area thoroughly, rather than transfer a lot ( I have already decided we can't see everything this trip!:( Thanks for the advice!

We are hoping to add a week (depending on the cruise air.. will they let us add independent tour and still use their air??). Probably spend 3 days in Seward, and 2 days in Anchorage (hubby has a childhood friend there). I wanted to go to Denali, but we are going in May, and it looks like we can't get into the 'best' sections of the park at that time. I would rather spend time and do Seward area thoroughly, rather than transfer a lot ( I have already decided we can't see everything this trip!:( Thanks for the advice!

Look at booking your own air, since you would not be using the Seward/Anchorage transfer that would be included in cruiseair. Simple to do, just go look at airline and airline agent sites and plug in under the "multi city" option. IF you go with the cruise air, you will have to pay for a deviation, but they can book for you. I suggest you consider the Alaska RR Seward to Anchorage leaving at 6pm daily. Wonderful scenic ride. :)

Hi tropicaltravellers! Hopefully you will join us over on the roll call board since we're going to be on the 5/20 Summit too! So far we have a group of 5 cabins, but I havn't gotten the others on the boards yet. We're also doing an independent land tour after the cruise. We were on the 5/20/05 Summit and loved that time of year so much (plus the low rates) that we're going again on the same date! Since it was our first time to Alaska we did the tour thru Celebrity and had a wonderful time. But this time we're going the independent route! By the way, we loved Denali and wouldn't rule that out because it is too early in the season.

Please do come over to the roll call board, it's early but when people start chatting the group grows quickly! It will be fun to compare notes while planning the land portion! Plus we had a great CC group last year so please join in!

Sharon from Charlotte

Archived