Oasis of the Seas..disembark in time to catch flight in Fort Lauderdale?

We will be cruises on the Oasis out of Port Canaveral the end of January. Instead of flight home out of Orlando (The flights leaves to NJ at 9:30PM!) I'm thinking of renting a car and driving to either West Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale or even Tampa. The flight out of each are

West Palm...departs 2:20

Fort lauderdale..departs 3:00

Tampa..departs at 5:00

The cruise ship arrives at 6am. Will I have enough time to clear customs, get a rental car, drive to either of these airports (rather do Fort Lauderdale) and make the flight?

Anyone ever do this?

Thanks

Mike

If there are no arrival or customs delays and you do self-assist disembarkation, you should be outside the terminal waiting for the rental car shuttle before 7am. Even if it takes an hour to get the shuttle and rental car, you should be on your way by 8am. If there are no traffic problems, you should be able to get to West Palm (PBI) in 2.5 hours. I'd go for the West Palm flight.

If there are no arrival or customs delays and you do self-assist disembarkation, you should be outside the terminal waiting for the rental car shuttle before 7am. Even if it takes an hour to get the shuttle and rental car, you should be on your way by 8am. If there are no traffic problems, you should be able to get to West Palm (PBI) in 2.5 hours. I'd go for the West Palm flight.

IF i don't do self-assist, when would i expect to be off the ship?

And how close are the rental car companies? Would there be a line at the counter on Sundays?

Mike

IF i don't do self-assist, when would i expect to be off the ship?

And how close are the rental car companies? Would there be a line at the counter on Sundays?

Mike

If you don't do self-assist, then your time off the ship depends on your luggage tag number. Since there have been no Oasis sailings out of Port Canaveral, I don't have any history to go on. All I can say is that the customs line and rental car line tend to get worse as it's gets later.

In other words, I would not squander any time leeway you have up front and then not have any left for potential traffic issues.

Instead of trying to save a few hours by driving an additional 2-3, why not just shack up in Orlando for the day? The Hyatt Orlando inside the airport offers special day rates and you can simply rest in the room, enjoy the pool or whatever else you want to do. When it's time for your flight, just walk downstairs and go through security. We've done this a couple of times when our Orlando flights were later in the day and it makes for a less hurried, relaxing end to the vacation.

have you looked into flying out of Sanford airport. This airport is only a short distance from Orlando. I am not sure if they have flights to where you need to go but it might be worth it to check it out.

Melbourne (MLB) is another option in the vicinity of Port Canaveral. I believe American and Delta fly out of MLB.

Thank u so much for all your input. Unfortunately we can not stay another day. Work always gets in the way :) I live 45 min from Atlantic city airport. Spirit is the only ones that fly in there so the other airports are no option since those airlines probably fly to Philly or Newark. Too far. I rather drive in Florida to another's airport then in New Jersey. Lol. I'll keep knocking the idea around. Thanks again

Thank u so much for all your input. Unfortunately we can not stay another day. Work always gets in the way :) I live 45 min from Atlantic city airport. Spirit is the only ones that fly in there so the other airports are no option since those airlines probably fly to Philly or Newark. Too far. I rather drive in Florida to another's airport then in New Jersey. Lol. I'll keep knocking the idea around. Thanks again

I strongly advise against flying out of FLL if you are taking Spirit. FLL is a major hub for Spirit, and the line for check-in and bag drop is ungodly long (sometimes the line would go all the way out the terminal building). You can expect to spend 30 to 45 minutes just to drop off your checked bags. Factor in security clearance and the whole check-in process balloons to 1.5 hours.

Of the three options you listed, I would go with TPA and PBI before FLL. Traffic is much lighetr from either of those airports, which makes check in and security clearance much quicker.

Edited by PCHENG

I strongly advise against flying out of FLL if you are taking Spirit. FLL is a major hub for Spirit, and the line for check-in and bag drop is ungodly long (sometimes the line would go all the way out the terminal building). You can expect to spend 30 to 45 minutes just to drop off your checked bags. Factor in security clearance and the whole check-in process balloons to 1.5 hours.

Of the three options you listed, I would go with TPA and PBI before FLL. Traffic is much lighetr from either of those airports, which makes check in and security clearance much quicker.

Agree, all would be possible, but potentially stressful.

I believe I would opt for TPA, then take your time getting off the ship, getting a car, and then take a leisurely, very easy drive across the state.

Plenty of time also to stop for a nice lunch.

Agree, all would be possible, but potentially stressful.

I believe I would opt for TPA, then take your time getting off the ship, getting a car, and then take a leisurely, very easy drive across the state.

Plenty of time also to stop for a nice lunch.

Agree...I too was thinking FLL would be a disaster with check in.... TPA looks like the best option with a flight time of 5..giving us more time to get there...