Help on zoom plan internet plan needed - confused..,

I was recently on Ovation of the Seas and the VOOM internet was terrible. Even though I had a 2 device VOOM Surf package which I prepurchased, we were not able to use more than 2 devices as VOOM was playing up.

What I wanted to bring to your attention was that if you wanted to keep in touch with family who are on the cruise with you, there is a better and cheaper way using the Royal IQ app. You pay $7.95 for each device for the whole duration of the cruise (not per day) and you can message each other through the Royal IQ app on your phone.

We only learned about that towards the end of the cruise but it was how my son's friend was keeping in touch with his parents. He had to let them know every hour where he was etc.

It's my understanding the RoyalIQ app only works on Quantum, Anthem, Ovation and Harmony. Can someone confirm?

Edited by Freep117

I finally received an "Official" reply on whether the best deal is the C&A discount or the 30% pre-cruise discount. Note that they still qualified the answer with "Onboard offers may vary by ship and itinerary."

Here is the complete response:

Dear Joel:

Thank you for your e-mail. We apologize for any delay in our response.

We are excited to see that you will be joining us onboard the Grandeur of the Seas in December! It is our sincerest hope that you will have a fun and relaxing time onboard, and that you will return with many fond memories of your cruise vacation.

VOOM WiFi lets guests stay connected just like they do at home while onboard our ships. Now streaming videos and music, sharing vacation in real time on social media and video chatting with friends and family back home is as easy at sea as it is in your local coffee shop. For your convenience, our WiFi internet packages are now available to reserve and purchase ahead of time in the Cruise Planner! Simply log in and purchase your package prior to two days before your boarding, not including the sailing date. By purchasing ahead of time, you can save 30% compared to purchasing a package onboard. For purchasing after boarding, please inquire with the Guest Services Desk onboard or for additional assistance. SURF is the best package for guests looking to surf the web, stay in touch via email, and share on social media. SURF + STREAM is ideal for those looking to do everything available to them under SURF, but also want the capability to stream movies and music from Netflix or Spotify, and connect using video chat apps such as Skype. Please log in to your Cruise Planner for more specific pricing details available for your sailing.

As a Diamond member of the Crown & Anchor Society, you also have an opportunity to take advantage of your membership discount for internet packages. Currently Diamond members are eligible for a $19.98 coupon which is equivalent to one day of internet usage. Onboard offers may vary by ship and itinerary. Be sure to check onboard for any changes in this discount. Please kindly note, the 30% pre cruise discount offer is not combinable with other offers or Crown & Anchor discounts.

To access your upcoming reservation on the Grandeur of the Seas, “Countdown to Cruise” allows you to view many details about your cruise vacation and links you to online resources, such as Online Check-In and the Cruise Planner. Our Cruise Planner is a terrific way for you to plan your vacation. Browse shore excursions, specialty dining, drink packages, and much more as you iron out every detail to plan your perfect trip. Please use the link: https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/countdownToCruise/loadRetrieveReservation.do. To access your reservation, the information you enter must match what we have on our files exactly.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us by telephone at 1-800-526-9723. Our Crown & Anchor Society representatives will be happy to assist you further.

Joel, we look forward to welcoming you, our valued Diamond Crown & Anchor Society member, onboard again soon.

Sincerely,

Rebecca Hirte

Crown & Anchor Society Customer Support

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for the info! So it is not combinable it seems. [emoji17] not surprised tho!

I see you posted the diamond discount, but I am looking for the daily D+, discount, which I believe is greater?

Chris

The D+ discount has been double the D discount, so figure $40.

The D+ discount has been double the D discount, so figure $40.

Thanks, Bob...it appears that the 30% discount for pre-booking the package winds up being a little bit better ($47) than the D+ discount--at least for the package I am considering (VOOM Surf-2 Devise)....

But now that I think about it, I we're better off each (DH and I) purchasing the one devise package, and taking the $40 off....I recall doing this on our last Brilliance cruise, and in fact, they also gave my daughter, who's 17, the D+ discount also....

Thanks, Bob...it appears that the 30% discount for pre-booking the package winds up being a little bit better ($47) than the D+ discount--at least for the package I am considering (VOOM Surf-2 Devise)....

But now that I think about it, I we're better off each (DH and I) purchasing the one devise package, and taking the $40 off....I recall doing this on our last Brilliance cruise, and in fact, they also gave my daughter, who's 17, the D+ discount also....

I agree, in this case the $40 off each makes it better to get a one device package for each person.

Right now I can purchase the Zoom internet packages for 30% off for our next cruise. How does that compare to what my discount may be onboard as my wife and I are at Diamond level in C & A?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Does anybody know whether pre-booking internet package means you pay for it before the cruise with your credit card or it becomes an item on your on-board account? We are booked on Allure in October and may have excess of OBC. So naturally I'd rather pay for it with my OBC.

Thanks,

Val.

Does anybody know whether pre-booking internet package means you pay for it before the cruise with your credit card or it becomes an item on your on-board account? We are booked on Allure in October and may have excess of OBC. So naturally I'd rather pay for it with my OBC.

Thanks,

Val.

Anything you pre-book on Royal's website is immediately charged to your credit card.

Does that mean with the basic plan you can't FaceTime or listen to pandora without additional charges?

The basic plan may not support video streaming. You won't automatically get charged more, the video streaming may not work well or at all.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I have 2 quick questions concerning the Internet packages:

1- In the cruise planner, the description of the Surf + Stream package says: "Unlimited WiFi & Streaming", and the description of the Surf package says: "Enjoy high-speed internet to browse the web, check email, etc ...". Since there's no mention of "unlimited" on the smaller Surf package, does it mean that there's a limit on the time you can be connected or the number of megabytes you can transfer?

2- Will the 30% specials that are showing for my Jan 28, 2017 cruise on the Harmony OTS stay for a while (ideally until a few days before the cruise) or will they disappear before that? I want to benefit from these special rates, but I don't want to pay 5 months in advance!

Thanks in advance for your answers,

Marc.

Hello,

I have 2 quick questions concerning the Internet packages:

1- In the cruise planner, the description of the Surf + Stream package says: "Unlimited WiFi & Streaming", and the description of the Surf package says: "Enjoy high-speed internet to browse the web, check email, etc ...". Since there's no mention of "unlimited" on the smaller Surf package, does it mean that there's a limit on the time you can be connected or the number of megabytes you can transfer?

2- Will the 30% specials that are showing for my Jan 28, 2017 cruise on the Harmony OTS stay for a while (ideally until a few days before the cruise) or will they disappear before that? I want to benefit from these special rates, but I don't want to pay 5 months in advance!

Thanks in advance for your answers,

Marc.

1. Both packages are unlimited.

2. Unpredictable.