Escape with family some questions?

MarkE

We will be going with our son and his wife and two boys on the Escape on the 8 day July 23 cruise. This will be their first time on this ship and mine also been on the Getaway which is quite similar. We booked just the other day so pre booking specialty dining is limited times.

Can you once on board book other times for dining at Specialty venues? Party of 6

My son is interested in good shore excursions for the family like snorkeling or other fun things rather than shopping and riding on a bus. Any suggestions on NCL or private tours?

Is equipment provided or do you have to rent?

Can you wear nice shorts to the dining room?

My son wants to be active with his family so any suggestions would be great.

Is bottled water included in the premium beverage package?

thanks for any help.

We will be going with our son and his wife and two boys on the Escape on the 8 day July 23 cruise. This will be their first time on this ship and mine also been on the Getaway which is quite similar. We booked just the other day so pre booking specialty dining is limited times.

Can you once on board book other times for dining at Specialty venues? Party of 6

Yes, as long as the times are available. I'd do it as soon as you board.

My son is interested in good shore excursions for the family like snorkeling or other fun things rather than shopping and riding on a bus. Any suggestions on NCL or private tours?

Yes. On Escape, all 3 dining rooms permit shorts to be worn.

No. Here are the terms of the UBP, if you'd like to familiarize yourself. https://www.ncl.com/terms/ultimate-beverage-package

thanks for any help.

There are a few answers in red.

Buy however much water you want by the case and bring luggage tags for it - you can check it in at the pier.

As to excursions, if it is, say a snorkeling excursion, the equipment is included in the price of the excursion, however, we prefer to bring our own.

You cannot wear shorts in Le Bistro or Cagneys or The Haven restaurant at dinner. All other venues allow shorts. There will likely not be any other reservation times available onboard - in fact many restaurants get fully booked up by the end of the first day onboard, so DO make your reservations online.

Pre-Cruise hotel recommendations:

Intercontinental

The Epic

JW Marriott

if you prefer cheaper there is Hampton Inn and Suites in Brickell (downtown Miami) which is extremely nice and fairly new.

CRUISE PORTS

EMBARK Miami (Florida

Philipsburg (St. Maarten) - Take a snorkel boat to the French side. The snorkeling over there is amazing!

St. Thomas (US Virgin Islands) - Take the ship's tour to St. John's Trunk Bay for snorkeling the underwater snorkel trail. While you can do this on your own, it involves a ferry ride followed by a open air bus ride, so it is much more convenient to just use the ship's tour.

Tortola (British Virgin Islands) - The absolute best excursion is to The Bath's - do arrange this through the ship. You take a ferry ride and then open air bus ride. The ferry ride can be rough - on our crossing about half got seasick and were vomiting over the back of the ship so definitely take some Bonine prior to this excursion - we did and had no problem but felt sorry for those who did not plan ahead. This is the BEST excursion in the entire Caribbean!!!! Be aware that you climb down to Bath's Beach and this is the ONLY Place there is to buy water or use the toilet, once you are on the Devils bay side for the climb back up, there is nothing at all. Do wear water shoes for this excursion as you will be climbing on slippery rocks. Do NOT use the lockers on Bath's Beach - as you will not pass by them again after going through the caves. Bring a lightweight beach bag for necessities. After you climb back up from The Bath's go to the Top of the Bath's restaurant for the best Pina Colada you will ever have. There is a fresh water pool for cooling off and an amazing view.

Nassau (Bahamas) - A lot of people go to the Atlantis Aquaventure waterpark or alternatively a beach day at the Blue Lagoon. The Blue Lagoon is much less expensive and you can do this on your own- just make a reservation in advance.

http://www.bahamasbluelagoon.com

If you decide to go to the Atlantis Aquaventure waterpark, book it here or through the ship - it is only a short cab ride away from the port - in fact you will be able to see Atlantis from your ship:

http://www.bahamasdaypass.com/Atlantis-Aquaventure-Day-Pass-s/1849.htm

DISEMBARK Miami (Florida)

Edited by SuiteTraveler

How old are the children? The Escape is fantastic for families. There is mini golf, ropes course and waterslides. To do the ropes course, you have to be at least 48 inches. Children under 48 inches can do a child rope course which is about 2 feet off the ground. It has a few ziplines which my daughter really enjoyed.

For the waterslides, there are four. Two are drop slides. You stand on a platform, the platform drops, and you free fall for a little bit and get brought around in a tube to the exit. Must be 48 inches tall and 100 pounds. One is a family tube slide. You can either go in a double tube or two single tubes can go at the same time. I believe the height requirement is either 40 or 42 inches. The last slide is a typical bodyslide and is more designed for children... unless they have adjusted the water levels, adults go down this slide extremely slowly.

There are also ping pong tables tucked away in the corner of the deck near the gym. And an outdoor sports court for basketball and perhaps soccer.

Yes, or you can just bring a refillable bottle and drink the water on the ship.

Not convenient when you're in your cabin. We always take bottled water with us to keep in our cabin. Easy to fill a bottle when you're out, but not when you're in the cabin.

Not convenient when you're in your cabin. We always take bottled water with us to keep in our cabin. Easy to fill a bottle when you're out, but not when you're in the cabin.
In my experience, that's when the husband (ME) gets asked to do a "water run" and bring back as many glasses of water as he can handle. Tip: using a plate helps immensely.

This is why I love being in the aft section just one floor down from the buffet. :p

Maybe consider a larger bottle? :rolleyes: It's certainly never been a problem for our family.

How old are the children? The Escape is fantastic for families. There is mini golf, ropes course and waterslides. To do the ropes course, you have to be at least 48 inches. Children under 48 inches can do a child rope course which is about 2 feet off the ground. It has a few ziplines which my daughter really enjoyed.

For the waterslides, there are four. Two are drop slides. You stand on a platform, the platform drops, and you free fall for a little bit and get brought around in a tube to the exit. Must be 48 inches tall and 100 pounds. One is a family tube slide. You can either go in a double tube or two single tubes can go at the same time. I believe the height requirement is either 40 or 42 inches. The last slide is a typical bodyslide and is more designed for children... unless they have adjusted the water levels, adults go down this slide extremely slowly.

There are also ping pong tables tucked away in the corner of the deck near the gym. And an outdoor sports court for basketball and perhaps soccer.

Do the slides hurt your behind? We've done water slides elsewhere and the bottom of my bathing suit got ripped and I had scrapes down my back. My kids think it doesn't look like fun to stand in long line (from the pictoral review by the other fabulous poster) to get on either so I'm torn as to whether to try this ship or not.

Do the slides hurt your behind?

No, not in my experiences.

We've done water slides elsewhere and the bottom of my bathing suit got ripped and I had scrapes down my back.

Never happened to me nor to my kids.

My kids think it doesn't look like fun to stand in long line (from the pictoral review by the other fabulous poster) to get on either so I'm torn as to whether to try this ship or not.

The lines aren't as bad as some would believe. Initial fear becomes "Can we go again?!?!?!?!?..." after the first try. :D

Edited by Two Wheels Only

UOTE=MarkE;50308922]We will be going with our son and his wife and two boys on the Escape on the 8 day July 23 cruise. This will be their first time on this ship and mine also been on the Getaway which is quite similar. We booked just the other day so pre booking specialty dining is limited times.

We did, the same day we got on. we had to re-arrange some plans. It was no issue.

We did twice as nice, nice ride out, two places to snorkel then a nice sail back. Staff was awesome. As stated in some of the other comments, they have gear. But we also brought our own. The kids wanted the new full face masks vs traditional gear. It worked out very well for them.

People were wearing them, in all of them.

Ropes course, ropes course, ropes course oh and dodge ball!.

The luggage tag and bring your own works best. We brought two cases on board, they delivered it to our room.

thanks for any help.

Edited by snownow

My kids think it doesn't look like fun to stand in long line (from the pictoral review by the other fabulous poster) to get on either so I'm torn as to whether to try this ship or not.

Haven't been on Escape, but on the Getaway we found that port days were the best days to use slides and pool. We did excursions in every port, but were always back onboard a couple of hours before all aboard time. There were never waits during this time and the pools were mostly empty.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

1. Yes, you can make any reservation on board. Party of 6 might be tough, but not out of the question. Even though a restaurant shows booked, they still often take stand-bys so just try that.

2. Check the list at NCL.com or at the Shore Excursions desk onboard. Every stop will have both active and leisurely activities. Any activity will provide all the equipment you need included. You can also bring you own in many cases.

3. You can wear shorts in all dining venues except inside at Bayamo, La Cuchina and Le Bistro. Men's shoulders must be covered in any specialty.

4. Then do stuff together, the water slides are fun. The AquaRacer can take you in pairs.

5. No. But you can check cases of water.*

6. The AquaRacer is fun, the kiddie slide is fun. But, the dropslides can be rough.

*There's nothing wrong with the water on the ship so bringing bottled water is, well, complication for no benefit. Bring refillable bottles and you're all set.

Thanks for the prior replies. We just booked!

Do the shows have to be reserved or can we just walk up?

Sorry, I just read that there are both options. :)

Edited by ttnc4me

There seems to be quite a bit of contradictory dress code info so maybe NCL changes it up sometimes on the Escape? ;-)

My 1-30-16 daily says " Resort casual and shorts are allowed in all dining venues except Bayamo and Le Bistro after 5p. Shoes and shirts must be worn."

There seems to be quite a bit of contradictory dress code info so maybe NCL changes it up sometimes on the Escape? ;-)

My 1-30-16 daily says " Resort casual and shorts are allowed in all dining venues except Bayamo and Le Bistro after 5p. Shoes and shirts must be worn."

That is exactly the same as it was when we sailed the inaugural transatlantic, and it was still the same when we sailed again a few weeks ago. So I would say they do not change it up.

Edited by LrgPizza

Is there actually a difference between the water in the bathroom sink in the cabins, and the water at the buffet/restaurants?