Cozumel and Grand Cayman? Severity of Hurricane damage

Littlegoo75

Anyone know how bad things are in Cozumel ? Now that Wilma has moved on, and they can get a look at all of the damage, has anyone heard anything or seen footage? I imagine, things are not looking so good.

On TV, I am only seeing scenes from Cancun, and sadly, it looks pretty bad. I am thinking the cruise ships will have to call at an alternate port for a little while, anyone know where they might go?

Also, I haven't heard anything about Grand Cayman, how did they fare there?

from the reports I've seen from those that are there or in contact with them it's not good - est. weeks before electricty, etc - Those of us cruising soon I fear will not make Cozumel - soon I hope to help them get things going again.

Here's the latest dispatch from Cozumel posted on the StormCarib site:

Quote:

This is news from Cozumel, at 7:20 pm Oct 22. Don't know if it is post worthy but there is not a lot of Cozumel new out there and I don't know how or where to post to this site so will e-mail this. Use or not at your discretion. Bobbi in Arkansas

Lena called a 7:20 pm. Said it was "freakin awful", major flooding at their place and that they are hurricane refuges. She sounded stressed, scared, BUT ALIVE! Don't know what she called on and we kept it short. Keep up the prayers, it looks like it hit Cozumel pretty bad. I have copied something I got off a site.

UPDATE FROM COZUMEL,

7:30pm, Saturday

Adrian (shown at left) just phoned us. They have only been able to walk around downtown. The small piers for dive boats are destroyed. Punta Langosta cruise ship pier near downtown is partially destroyed. The roofs of Casa Denis restaurant and Plaza del Sol shopping area are gone. The giant flag pole is gone. he talked with the owner of Rock 'n Java restaurant and the building is intact, but all contents destroyed, as is the case with most oceanfront businesses. Almost every palapa structure has disappeared. It sounds like McDonalds has been destroyed. The expensive oceanfront shops were severely damaged or destroyed and are being looted. They found a dead body on the oceanfront, but thought that this person had been dead for several days--and was washed up by the hurricane (Do not panick, we do not think there was loss of life in Cozumel). The oceanfront street on ! the west side of downtown is intact--the seawall held. Most concrete structures are intact, but received water damage. Flooding was not a major problem in downtown, although rain was forced into every crack, so many homes received some water damage.

Scuba Tony and Encarna who we lost contact with yesterday are also fine. It is dark in Cozumel now, and they won't be going back out until mo rning. We hope to bring you further updates.

More here: http://www.stormcarib.com/reports/2005/mexico.shtml

As soon as people can start going back in, I'm sure we'll hear and see things we don't want to. It is difficult to get to the island, the runways are not clear from what I understand. Many people evacuated... and as people start making their way back, more and more news will come out. Also, the people that are there are probably struggling just getting out, as it sounds like widespread flooding...

These are 2 recent reports from Stormcarb

[*]Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 13:01:08 -0500

My daughter and her husband run the Centro Medico de Cozumel medical clinic on Cozumel. They evacuated to Merida last wednesday with a large convoy of family & friends. They (surprisingly) have been in cell-phone contact with some stay-behinds on Cozumel (cell towers must be running on generators). I talked to her this Sunday AM after they had talked to their nephew on Cozumel. Main report is heavy destruction. 2-3 weeks anticipated without electricity. Someone reported that the governor has relief airplanes with food, water, & supplies poised on mainland runways to fly in as soon as Cozumel runways are cleared. Not clear when the ferries will run. The ferry boat company owner is with them in Merida. They & the others with them hope to bring in tanker trucks of gas & water if they can get some from Campeche, and hopefully arrive about when (if?) the ferry boats resume. Still high winds & rain today, Sunday. scott frankenberger in Indiana

- Cozumel info

• Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 12:16:27 -0500

This is an email i got from Christi's mom... She owns Blue XT~Sea diving on Cozumel

Hi, I'm Christi's mom. Christi is okay and so are the people with her. She called about 10:30 am. She found a nice lady that had a phone that worked. She asked me to send you a note so you can post it that they are fine. They were literally "pounded for 60 hours" according to Christi, the only relief was 30-45 minutes while the eye passed over them. Wilma did tremendous damage to the island. Christi's house got some water, she was lucky because it is a foot to knee deep everywhere else.

She doesn't have any word on her boat yet, but 90% of the boats are underwater. She said they will need, food, water, batteries, etc whenever we can get things sent to them. She said she will come home soon as she can, but it could be several days I am sure or more before they will have a way to get off the island. I'll let you know more when I hear from her again. Thanks for all your kind thoughts and prayers that helped them make it through this.

Charlotte

Archived