foggy camera

Is there a trick to your camera not fogging as soon as you walk outside?

I understand how and why this happens (incase anyone tries to explain :rolleyes: ) just wondering if there is a trick for it to not take 15minutes to

de-fog. This was a pain in a butt last year when we'd see something outside on our balcony and we wanted to run out and take a pic..

50% of our pics looked like we were sailing in the fog!!

Your camera foggs up because it becomes cold in the airconditioning of the ship. Try to keep your camera warm either by placing in tin some towels when not being used or in an insulated case.

The case for the video camera is insulated and so it our digital... but the towels are a good suggestion. Never would have thought of that.

I learned a trick when I was on a tour in Iraq( desert storm) Spit on the lens and then wipe it off.It not only helps to clean it but it also helps to keep it fog free.use this tip on your snorkelling mask too.It really works and the liquid solution is free and readily available.Enjoy

A fellow Canuck:D

Several years ago, at the start of our Panama Canal cruise, we temporarily rendered our brand new camera inoperable by moving it from our air conditioned (cold and dry) stateroom to our outside balcony (hot and humid). The change in humidity -- more than temperature -- caused condensation to collect inside the camera, and the camera shut itself down (for the duration of the trip) in order to save itself.

We assumed that the camera had been damaged, so we purchased another camera aboard this ship. However, once we returned home, the camera started working normally again!

We contacted the camera manufacturer (Minolta), and were told that this sort of thing can happen when condensation forms inside the camera. This can occur whenever there is a large change in temperature and humidity -- as was our case. They suggested that we store the camera in a plastic ziploc baggie, and acclimate it to the temperature by warming the camera in the outside air while still in the bag. Once the camera warms up a bit, it can safely be taken out of the baggie without fog or condensation. We've been following this suggestion for the past couple of years, and the camera has never failed us.

--Debbie (Marne's wife)

Just curious--do they make a fog-free applicant for camera lenses like you would put on a bathroom mirror? I know this wouldn't stop internal humidity, but I did lose some good shots in Hawaii b/c the lens fogged up on my digital camera. I didn't have any other problems, fortunately.

Archived