Semi Live, Semi, amusing, Semi Fun Trip Report from Rome and the Epic!

AmR87

Day 7- Livorno.

We woke up bright and early today at 645. I booked a shore excursion through NCL for cinque terre, which was meeting at 8. This was the only shore excursion that I had booked through NCL.

Breakfast was at the buffet, which was pretty crowded. We did get seats though without having to look very hard so that was good! We all had smaller breakfasts and then we were off to find our tour.

We were called outside pretty quickly after meeting in the theater. We were on a bus of 45 people and we were off for our 1.5 hour ride. It was a very comfortable ride with stops for the bathroom.

We were dropped off at the first town and walked through it and did the same through the rest of the towns. They were very quaint and beautiful. We took boats and trains in between the towns, which was a lot of fun. We had gelato in one of the towns which was to die for. My flavor was cinque terre, which was a slight lemon flavor with hazelnuts and chocolate.

We got to the last town, where we had 2 hours to explore. This did include a free wine tasting, which was a nice touch. We decided to get some lunch. I had a gluten free pesto pizza and it was pretty much one of the best pizzas I had ever had. Bill for this and two pastas and a water was 45.

We finished our time shopping and enjoying the view of the sea. It was interesting to hear locals and people staying in the actual towns complain about us though. They didn't seem to like cruise ship passengers coming for the day. Can't say that I don't blame them for feeling that way.

Overall I thought it was a nicely done tour with lots to see. I'd recommend it to others.

We had the same long ride back and arrive at the ship around 545. My mil said she was exhausted and wanted to be alone for the night. Hubs and I needed to make up for our drinking quota so we went to the buffet bar. I preferred this bar to the pool because it was so fast! It was Asian night and they had some make your own gf soup that was calling my name. I knew that by eating now I was ruining dinner, but it was so worth it. That soup was goooood.

We went back to the room to watch sail away and get ready for dinner. I began to feel a little funky from a lot of sun, walking, and bad diet. I popped some tums and got some ginger ale, which helped a lot. I wasn't up for real dinner though, so we went to osheehans. I had a salad, while my other half had a coney dog and wings. He loved them both.

We're back at the room now which is funny because it feels so late, but it is only 945. I'm totally beat though and I'm exited for sleep!

We have no plans tomorrow for Cannes. We will see where our feet bring us!

Drinks day 2-

Sangria-3

Bahama mama-4

I totally failed my quota today. :(

I'm so happy we're back to the review! :) So far, it sounds great.

I'm doing the same cruise next year and also boarding in Rome. I have some questions about a couple things:

What company did you use to get to the port? What was the cost--did they charge per person or just a flat rate?

I'm curious about the Cinque Terre tour. I'm very interested in doing that, but I hate taking ship's tours. Having 45 people on it, doesn't sound like fun to me. Was the bus just transportation and then everyone split up, or do you need to keep the group of 45 together? Is there a guide? If not, how did you know where to go and how to get from town to town?

Personally, I don't blame the locals for not liking the influx of tourists--just think if a few thousand people suddenly showed up in your town all at once! On the flip side, it's good for their economy.

thanks!

I'm so happy we're back to the review! :) So far, it sounds great.

I'm doing the same cruise next year and also boarding in Rome. I have some questions about a couple things:

What company did you use to get to the port? What was the cost--did they charge per person or just a flat rate?

I'm curious about the Cinque Terre tour. I'm very interested in doing that, but I hate taking ship's tours. Having 45 people on it, doesn't sound like fun to me. Was the bus just transportation and then everyone split up, or do you need to keep the group of 45 together? Is there a guide? If not, how did you know where to go and how to get from town to town?

Personally, I don't blame the locals for not liking the influx of tourists--just think if a few thousand people suddenly showed up in your town all at once! On the flip side, it's good for their economy.

thanks!

I'm so glad you're enjoying it!

Answers to your questions.

1. I used a private transfer that was a flat 145 for luggage and three of us in a Mercedes. I have the guys email if you would like it. He was fabulous On the way from the port to our Fco hotel,I used bobs limo which was per person. It came to 88 euros. This was shared though with another family (the company made it that way). I also wouldn't totally recommend them as I prepaid and the driver demanded I pay him again today. We got it figured out (he called the supervisor) but it was definitely scary arguing with someone who knows little English.

2. I went with the NCL tour because cinque terre is so far and I would consider a little more difficult to figure out on your own. Plus, with a 60+ mother in law that doesn't like hassle! I knew I had to make it as easy as possible. The bus took us all there and we walked the first village together. The guide bought the tickets and told us where to meet for the boat and gave us free time. It basically worked like that for every village we stopped at. He would buy our tickets, tell us what was neat in the area and tell us when to meet. For a ship excursion, I would actually recommend it.

Please let me know if you have more questions!

I'm so glad you're enjoying it!

Answers to your questions.

1. I used a private transfer that was a flat 145 for luggage and three of us in a Mercedes. I have the guys email if you would like it. He was fabulous On the way from the port to our Fco hotel,I used bobs limo which was per person. It came to 88 euros. This was shared though with another family (the company made it that way). I also wouldn't totally recommend them as I prepaid and the driver demanded I pay him again today. We got it figured out (he called the supervisor) but it was definitely scary arguing with someone who knows little English.

Thank you. Yes, I'd like to get his email address. I'm traveling solo, but will see on my roll call if there are others who would like to share transport to the port. I can imagine it was an uncomfortable situation when you'd already paid and he said you hadn't! Yikes!

2. I went with the NCL tour because cinque terre is so far and I would consider a little more difficult to figure out on your own. Plus, with a 60+ mother in law that doesn't like hassle! I knew I had to make it as easy as possible. The bus took us all there and we walked the first village together. The guide bought the tickets and told us where to meet for the boat and gave us free time. It basically worked like that for every village we stopped at. He would buy our tickets, tell us what was neat in the area and tell us when to meet. For a ship excursion, I would actually recommend it.

I'll take a look at it. If I were going to book with the ship, that's the type of tour I'd choose. I wouldn't want to be herded around with a group that size, but since it's mostly free time and they provide the tickets to the next town and instructions, it could work for me. Thanks for the details.

Please let me know if you have more questions!

That's it for now, but I may have more as you go along. :D Thanks so much!

I was on the Epic in March and really enjoyed her. This was my first cruise on a ship her size, and I didn't know if I'd like it. I was happily surprised. :D

Day 8 Cannes

We slept in today knowing we had no plans in Cannes and no tickets for tenders. It was also the best night of sleep I've gotten since leaving home.

We walked to a bar for morning cocktails, then went to the buffet for breakfast. It was surprisingly packed for being 945. I ate the same thing as yesterday along with two slices of gluten free bread. Breakfast is the time that I never ask for help with food because I find it so easy to know what is gluten free and what is not. I stick to packaged yogurts, fruit, hard boiled eggs, bacon and the toast. It is more than sufficient. If I had one tiny change, I would suggest supplying one gluten free cereal. All the kinds they have either have malt barley in them or actual wheat.

We went down to the tenders at 1020 and got right on. We had no set plans here in Cannes, other than to walk around. This was what we did for two hours. Walked, gawked at the yachts, and chatted. I loved this little sea town! It was so quaint and picturesque. I'd love to spend more time here one day.

We got back on the boat around 1-130 after the tender ride. We grabbed some drinks, swimsuits and hung out by the pool for the afternoon. The one thing I love about being on the ship in port days is how empty it is!

We went for pre dinner drinks at the martini bar. My favorite drinks have been from here so far. The martinis have been really good!

We went downstairs to taste and had the best meal yet! Our waiter, Roy , was amazing. I didn't get a chance to order my meal for tonight, but they were very accommodating. We had tenderloin, gf pasta to share and a bunch of appetizers. Everything was wonderful tonight. Pj the special food needs guy met with me at the end to order for tomorrow. He explained it to me as if I order ahead, they will make me anything I want. If I don't order, I have to choose what they have and they can't make me any sauces gf on the spot.

The ship is moving really slowly right now making our way to Provence. We have a private wine tour booked for tomorrow, which I am very excited for! I obviously like my adult beverages. :)

Drinks for today-

Mimosa 2

Mr worldwide 3

Pina colada 3

Sunshine cooler 3

Raspberry something martini 5

Lemon drop 4

Sauvignon blanc 2

Day 9 Provence

Today is a day I am so excited for. This was actually the first tour I booked after buying the cruise. I wanted to do an actual wine tour in France. After research I found Provence wine tours and it looked like a perfect fit. I booked it for about 100 pp US dollars and waited for our tour day to come.

We were picked up right on time at the pier. There were only 8 people total on this tour, which was so nice. Our guide was very nice as well and had a great accent. I could've listened to him talk all day.

We were off to our first winery. It was beautiful. I seriously cannot wait to post pictures. Pictures don't even do it justice. We tried six wines here, which got everyone in the group talking a bit. We didn't purchase any wines here, but my mil got some great smelling lavender soap.

We went off to the next winery, which Wasn't as beautiful but had better wine. Here we were able to sit down and chat between servings. We ended up purchasing two bottles for 30 euros from this winery. The roses (wines) in Provence are unlike anything in the states. I told Hubby that we have to save that bottle for our six year anniversary in June. :).

After the two tours we were taken to aix en Provence for a 90 minute lunch stop. Now, I loved seeing this little town, but I personally would have preferred another wine stop instead. The town was lovely, but I was tired of spending money on food at this point. I ended uP getting a sushi box for 14 euro because I didn't know how to say gluten free in French. We met back at the car and were back at the ship in plenty of time.

We went to our room and watched sail away when I began to get very tired. Hubs and I decided to go get a snack and drink so that we were not so drowsy. We went to osheehans and witnessed our first out of control kids situation.

Now, I'm a teacher. I loveeeeee children and teaching. It is however, a pet peeve of mine when people do not discipline their children. We sat next to a table of 6 kids under the age of ten. They were pouring salt into their hands, eating it, goofing around, being kids. But then they got up. They knocked into my water, spilling it, threw themselves on the floor , went to other tables and purposefully knocked over pepper and salt. It was out of control. Finally, I said loudly, where are your parents? The table right next to us then waved and said oh sorry for them spilling your water and then continued to talk. I couldn't eat fast enough to get out of there

Ok, #endrant.

We got two drinks to take back to the room to continue to watch sail away. We went to dinner around 630 and it. Prime rib night. Service seemed a little slower than normal and we didn't get the waiter I requested. He came and found us and told us he had gotten stuck up at the buffet. Hopefully tomorrow we will get him.

We ended our night at shakers for a martini. It was much more packed now than before. We made our way back to our room, where I conveniently hit my elbow on my iPad. It hurt, but I waited a few seconds before asking my hubs 'am I bleeding?' Of course I was, and had gotten it on the bed! I swear I've gotten injured more on this trip than any other! Luckily I brought a lot of bandaids. It took three to cover it up.

Well, off to Barcelona tomorrow!

Drinks tried today

Moscow mule- 2

Rebellious fish - 3

French raspberry- 5

Moscato-2

Chocolate martini-3

Espresso martini- 4. ( btw anyone else think it's odd to pay for espresso on the ship, but put alcohol in it and it is free then?)

Thank you. Yes, I'd like to get his email address. I'm traveling solo, but will see on my roll call if there are others who would like to share transport to the port. I can imagine it was an uncomfortable situation when you'd already paid and he said you hadn't! Yikes!

I'll take a look at it. If I were going to book with the ship, that's the type of tour I'd choose. I wouldn't want to be herded around with a group that size, but since it's mostly free time and they provide the tickets to the next town and instructions, it could work for me. Thanks for the details.

That's it for now, but I may have more as you go along. :D Thanks so much!

I was on the Epic in March and really enjoyed her. This was my first cruise on a ship her size, and I didn't know if I'd like it. I was happily surprised. :D

No problem! I'll get you his email as soon as I get home. I have his business card stashed in my luggage somewhere.

I couldn't agree with you more about the epic. I need another week on it!

Great review so far! I am on the Epic next month and can't wait. I am DYING to do that Provence Wine tour but am a solo traveller so hoping others from my sailing sign up for it. It's so good to read your review on it.

Can't wait to hear about Barcelona! Did you say you would post pics or do you have a link of where yours are uploaded? Would love to see some.

Great review so far! I am on the Epic next month and can't wait. I am DYING to do that Provence Wine tour but am a solo traveller so hoping others from my sailing sign up for it. It's so good to read your review on it.

Can't wait to hear about Barcelona! Did you say you would post pics or do you have a link of where yours are uploaded? Would love to see some.

Do it do it do it! You'll be sold once you see pictures!

I will definitely be posting pictures. All of them are on my husband's canon so I have to wait until we go home to upload everything.

We're up to 1000 pictures though...

I am sitting here enjoying your updates to your review. I had to tell the DH that aside from the food I love how you rate your "adult beverages". The Martini Bar is our favorite place to lounge though the DH does not drink martinis. He loves to tease me about drinking propane cocktails as he enjoys his own adult beverages.

Hi,

Enjoying your posts! I have a question as I am new to NCL(will cruise Oct. 9 on Epic). What is the rule concerning bringing wine on board, either at embarkation or along the way. You mentioned purchasing wine in Provence.

Thanks, Annabelle

No problem! I'll get you his email as soon as I get home. I have his business card stashed in my luggage somewhere.

I couldn't agree with you more about the epic. I need another week on it!

Thank you; I really appreciate it.

I'm so excited about going on this cruise even though it's more than a year away! I'm especially looking forward to seeing your photos. :D

Hi,

Enjoying your posts! I have a question as I am new to NCL(will cruise Oct. 9 on Epic). What is the rule concerning bringing wine on board, either at embarkation or along the way. You mentioned purchasing wine in Provence.

Thanks, Annabelle

Taken from https://www.ncl.com/faq#can-i-bring-water-or-soda-board

Yes, guests may bring sealed bottles of wine on board for personal consumption. They will be checked prior to embarkation and a corkage fee applied at that time of $15.00 USD for a 750 ml Bottle or $30.00 USD for a 1,500 ml Magnum bottle. Box wines are not allowed on board. If guests do not wish to pay the corkage fee, the wine will be held onboard and returned to the guests at the end of the cruise.

If you purchase any alcohol at one of our ports-of-call or in our onboard shops, we will safely store your purchase and either on the final night of the cruise or the morning of debarkation it will be available for pick up in a designated area.

Loving the review thank you :) esp drink ratings dying to try some of them :p

heading off on Epic on 31st Aug on our first cruise

We are getting on sorry that should be embarking (have get with lingo) in Rome so glad hear that it was very smooth & fast. Also that ship wasn't too packed (since most probably on tour) so we can get our bearings before sail away.

Taken from https://www.ncl.com/faq#can-i-bring-water-or-soda-board

Yes, guests may bring sealed bottles of wine on board for personal consumption. They will be checked prior to embarkation and a corkage fee applied at that time of $15.00 USD for a 750 ml Bottle or $30.00 USD for a 1,500 ml Magnum bottle. Box wines are not allowed on board. If guests do not wish to pay the corkage fee, the wine will be held onboard and returned to the guests at the end of the cruise.

If you purchase any alcohol at one of our ports-of-call or in our onboard shops, we will safely store your purchase and either on the final night of the cruise or the morning of debarkation it will be available for pick up in a designated area.

Thanks for the info....dumb rules! Lucky I have the beverage package, without it I would not cruise NCL ! Annabelle

Thanks for the info....dumb rules! Lucky I have the beverage package, without it I would not cruise NCL ! Annabelle

Yes, those are the rules, however I found them to be completely lax on our trip. We had bought limoncello from our pre cruise time and no one too those. The wine I bought, no one took either. It was nice to be able to just put in my luggage. My mil bought more limoncello in Naples and they did not take hers either saying that we were getting off the next day so it was fine.

Just my 2 cents!

Edited by AmR87

Day 10 Barcelona

Today I booked a full day tour with Barcelona day tours. We were to see Monserrat and Barcelona's highlights. It was 105 euros a person. It was a great tour, but definitely packed full of activities.

We started in Monserrat, which was gorgeous. We actually had most of the morning here, which was nice. I could easily spend another day or two exploring. We had time to see a majority of the big sites, as well as take the tram up, tasted the liquors, and had a quick bite to eat at the little cafeteria. Again, my protein bar came in handy.

Once we left there we toured the city with stops In-between. We saw park guell, salgrada church, los romblas, the Olympic area, a bunch of guadi sites, and I'm sure more that I am forgetting to name. My only minor complaint was that our guide wasn't clear on when to eat, so I was glad my family grabbed something small to eat. We were not given any other free time on any of our stops other than a 7 minute bathroom break.

Overall though, It was a great tour in that it made me want to come back to Barcelona. I may be already planning my trip to return.

When we arrived back at the ship, it was 5pm already. It is definitely different when not everyone gets on at the same port. Today most had the lost look on their faces. I'm sure it's the same way I looked on Wednesday.

We went to taste for dinner which was great again. I had the bacon wrapped shrimp and a cheese plate. This was one of my favorite meals because it was satisfying, but I didn't feel overly full. I ordered my breakfast for tomorrow as well as my dinner. After dinner we had some drinks at the lounge in the back. We were the only people back there, so we had great service.

Tomorrow is a sea day. Get ready for my drinking ratings tomorrow!

Drinks tried today

Bahama mama 4

Moscato 3

Patron margarita 4

Loving the review thank you :) esp drink ratings dying to try some of them :p

heading off on Epic on 31st Aug on our first cruise

We are getting on sorry that should be embarking (have get with lingo) in Rome so glad hear that it was very smooth & fast. Also that ship wasn't too packed (since most probably on tour) so we can get our bearings before sail away.

Rome is the way to go! No lines at all and on by 1230, ten minutes after we showed up. Disembarking there was a breeze too!