Adventure of the Seas Review...11-18 June 2016!

For Clarea:

IMG_2908-L.png

So...From everything I've gleaned here on Cruise Critic, "VOOM" internet is supposed to be the shizznit. I've also read that this incarnation is not the actual product, which, based on what you see above, I am happy to hear.

We were planning on staying disconnected this trip, but the GF had a family member in the hospital, and needed to be in touch. Also, it was really nice on the At Sea days. Anyways, it was not amazing. It wasn't horrible, either. Slightly faster than dial-up (that I can remember). We had the Surf Voyage 2-device package. It served us well enough for what it was, which was browsing, uploading to Facebook, and emailing.

Apologies for the samplings being all on one day. It took me 2 days to download the app to my iPhone 6+. Mainly because I tried first to download it to my Kindle Fire HD (Android). Fuhgettaboutit.

Hope this helps, Bob.

For Clarea:

So...From everything I've gleaned here on Cruise Critic, "VOOM" internet is supposed to be the shizznit. I've also read that this incarnation is not the actual product, which, based on what you see above, I am happy to hear.

We were planning on staying disconnected this trip, but the GF had a family member in the hospital, and needed to be in touch. Also, it was really nice on the At Sea days. Anyways, it was not amazing. It wasn't horrible, either. Slightly faster than dial-up (that I can remember). We had the Surf Voyage 2-device package. It served us well enough for what it was, which was browsing, uploading to Facebook, and emailing.

Apologies for the samplings being all on one day. It took me 2 days to download the app to my iPhone 6+. Mainly because I tried first to download it to my Kindle Fire HD (Android). Fuhgettaboutit.

Hope this helps, Bob.

Thanks for doing the test. I think these numbers are not much different than we had on our last cruise on Adventure in early 2015.

I'd love to see if the Surf & Stream package is any different.

We have Adventure booked in December, so I'm happy reading this report. We've been on Radiance, Freedom, and Vision so far. (Adventure will be the first ship we've sailed on that the class isn't named after LOL)

Also, Jesters is the creepiest rape dungeon possibly imaginable. I hope they gut it during the refurb, and put in a place where you can hug puppies. (I'm not a prude...I've seen some ****. But, this place had bad vibes.)

You sure do paint a picture!

Not remembering what the same basic dance place was called on Freedom (before it was turned into rooms), but oddly I've only been there when my son was there. They had it open for an Adventure Ocean dance party one night. With a bunch of kids and families there, it's kinda fun. But I can see where it would go creepervescent without the fun AO counselors being chipper.

Your girlfriend has the cheekbone structure the Kardashians spend an hour airbrushing on their faces! She takes a great picture!

I now want nothing but banana daiquiris. :)

Can't wait for more!

Oh goodness you are cracking me up!! Loving this review, your writing style and pics!! I was cracking up about what you said regarding Jesters. Totally agree with you. We LOVE Adventure though and will continue to sail her until (if) she leaves San Juan.

Wednesday: Curacao!

We awoke to high hopes and aspirations, to a full day planned with no plans. Those are the best kind, no? After stuffing the rucksack with everything we thought we'd need, we headed to the WJ for breakfast. Lots of high-protein stuff-bacon and eggs! Also some tater tot crowns. Don't hate, they're delish!

We had only planned on shopping and sightseeing in the morning, and the beach for the afternoon. Curacao did not disappoint. We disembarked, got in the cab line, and despite the ineptness of the guys running the show, we finagled onto a cab taking a bunch of others to the beach. "Drop us off downtown!" She did for $20. Dropped us off in front of the huge "CURACAO" sign, and told us where to go.

IMG_2747-L.jpg

What a cool shopping district. Heavy Dutch influence on the architecture, and the pastel colors are very unique! Lots of T-shirt and souvenir shops (Air conditioned lol) so we hit all of them up. We had a great time walking up and down the narrow streets, enjoying all of the stores.

IMG_2752-L.jpg

IMG_2755-L.jpg

Soon, we found ourselves in Diamonds International. Uh-Oh. So...her birthday was the next day, hence this cruise. The day before, at sea, we were dallying outside on deck 4, looking over the side. She loved how the wake, foam, and sea came together as one aquamarine painting...Therefore, we walked out with some Larimar Marahlago earrings and matching ring. Damn right, I'm romantic. Did I research? Nope. Did I ever hear of this stone before? Nope. What do I care, I'm in love! (Current research, however, dictates that I got a fair deal. And the girlfriend is happy. That's all that counts.) I can always make more money....And she has that sea-foam memory forever.

So, after this, we got some water, and sat at the end of the Queen Elizabeth bridge (pontoon bridge). This thing spans the entire canal on pontoons, and has a pilot house at one end (our end). When a boat comes along that wants to pass, the pilot on duty in his shack engages the motor, and the ENTIRE BRIDGE swings out of the way, allowing the boat to progress up the canal ( or down). CRAZY! All the while this is happening , pedestrians on the bridge are hopping over the break, because they would rather take a chance than wait to swing back. Free entertainment. We watched this for about 45 minutes, which involved 2 evolutions, then we walked to the taxi stand there at the end of the bridge.

IMG_2764-L.jpg

We decided to go to Blue Bay, a private resort. It was $35 each way for the two of us. Yikes. Totally worth it, though. Out taxi driver was lovely , and she arranged to pick us back up at 4:00.

Here's the thing...Blue Bay charges $8.00/person for a day pass. This place was PARADISE! Yes, the beach is small and man-made. So what? There was hardly anybody there, we had our pick of loungers with tables, and the sand was soft. There were also two bars, 50 steps in either direction. Getting into the surf was pretty rocky for maybe the first 25 feet (I wore Teva sandals), but after that, no worries. I'm not kidding....this place was super nice.

IMG_2802-X3.jpg

IMG_2800-X2.jpg

During one bar run, I saw a little black and gold finch-like bird perched on the top of a Mango Daiquiri mix carton behind the bar. Being from a city where we bleed black and gold, I asked one of the bar girls what that species was called. She replied, in the most stereotypical, heavily accented Caribbean accent, "IS SUGAR THIEF!!"

I laughed, she laughed, we're picking out curtains on Tuesday.

Spending the afternoon at Blue Bay was amazing, and we hated to leave. We headed back to the ship, showered, and got ready for dinner. Since this was an 11:00 departure, we went to a Tapas restaurant in town.

"Kome" had good reviews on Trip Advisor, so we tried it. It was very good. The food was excellent. However, it is a true Tapas restaurant in every sense of the word. We had a bottle of wine with "dinner", and three courses. It cost slightly over $100 US. No thanks. When we returned to the Adventure, we headed to the Promenade Cafe for pizza and sandwiches, ha ha! Listen....We knew what we were getting into. We always wanted to try true Tapas, and we did. We just don't think it's for us. I will say, the staff was very attentive, and the service was excellent. They even called us a taxi to go back to the ship.

Curacao was fantastic, and one of the absolute high points of our cruise!!

Was there a bottle shop near the hotel where you could buy wine to take on board? TIA.

There's a duty free shop inside the cruise terminal that has a small selection of wine.

Thursday: Aruba!

So...I've been gone for a long weekend, and I hope that all of you had a nice 4th of July. Especially my UK friends (We were the original Brexit, before it was cool!).

Thursday morning found us on One Happy Island, Aruba!! I've always wanted to go here...it did not disappoint. I'd done a ton of research in the 6 months leading up to our cruise, focused on what to do in ports. Between CC and the internet, I'd stumbled across a small tour business called Trikes Aruba. Wow. I hadn't ridden in years, but this looked right up our proverbial alley!

IMG_2809-L.jpg

Yes the sun is reflecting off of my head. Yes I used SPF 70.

I immediately made a reservation, and was promptly answered by Carlos. We couldn't wait...The day finally arrived, and they were waiting for us at the end of the pier with a whiteboard, as promised. Once everyone showed up, we got into 2 vans, and took a 10 minute ride to their HQ/Office. Everyone was professional and accommodating! After filling out the necessary paperwork, we were split into 2 groups of three (6 couples). A quick familiarization ride around the block to check out all drivers, and we were off!

IMG_2863-L.jpg

The Beast

Each group had a tour guide in a dune buggy that we followed. Chris (great guide) led the other group, and our guide (I'm so sorry I forgot your name if you're reading this) was fantastic. At each stop - lots of photo ops - he'd lay some local history on us, was very funny, and took great photos! We toured from 0900 -1230, and for $190.00 it was totally worth it! If the afternoon wasn't fully booked, we'd have kept riding. We covered a large majority of the island, from the lowlands, to the beaches, to the high ground where the chapel and California Lighthouse are...highways, byways, dirt roads...We covered it all! The other tour groups that we passed (ATVs, buses, Safari Trucks, etc)....looked at us with great envy as we passed on our trikes! Hahahahaha! You should've booked this tour!!! I could see it on their faces. I'm sorry you're not this cool!

SO. MUCH. FUN.

IMG_2812-L.jpg

Divi Divi trees. Google is your friend.

IMG_2818-L.jpg

I had casually mentioned that it was my girlfriends' birthday at the office, because we both registered as drivers (once a biker chick, always a biker chick) because she totally wanted a turn up front. Halfway through the tour, our guide approached us, and said the office had radioed him...seems they wanted my girl's full name and age.

They got the full name.

So, when we regretfully ended the tour, the entire staff came out to greet us, they were holding up a white board reading "HAPPY BIRTHDAY MS. ***" and presented her with a giant blueberry cupcake with a "Happy Birthday" candle in it. Lots of hugs and handshakes all around! What a class act Carlos runs there...totally unsolicited, very thoughtful, and completely made the Birthday Girl's day!! Also, the cupcake was good. Because I had some.

IMG_2853-L.jpg

Chris piled us into the van, and took us back into town afterwards...I think he may have taken some of our group to the beach after we got dropped off, but I'm not 100% sure. I know others from our group are here on CC, so maybe if you're reading this, you can add some more info.

My point is, this is a full service organization that I would recommend highly. They're expanding to Cozumel, and St. Maarten as well. I wish Carlos and company nothing but much success...we'll be back.

After the amazing morning we just had, we shopped up and down the main drag outside of the pier exit. Lots of fun buying souvenirs.

We had lunch at Iguana Joe's, a touristy restaurant/bar. Both of us ordered the fish tacos, which we eat pretty regularly all over. These ones were made with blackened grouper, and an aioli sauce that was fantastic. Super-good lunch. We then walked around a bit more on the strip, but the blazing heat was just starting to get to us. We headed back to the ship, crashed, and slept through the sail-away.

The evening was spent in the MDR, Schooner Bar, and Champagne Bar (See a pattern? We didn't!)

IMG_2861-L.jpg

Although we did not actually go to any beaches, or experience the island proper other than the main drag, we saw enough on the bikes to quantify that this is an island we'd come back to for a land vacation. Most islands have a small proportion of luxury, no middle class, and a high percentage of abject poverty, Aruba didn't seem to be like that. From what we saw biking around, there was a small percentage of poverty, a small percentage of "luxury", and a pretty thriving middle class. Just my (our) observation.

Aruba...One Happy Island!

Here are some more pics from Aruba...primarily from the Trikes Tour.

IMG_2839-L.jpg

I think this was Eagle Beach....

I forgot...the tour stops at a bar/restaurant for 30 minutes or so. A great place to get some water (or whatever), a quick bite, and a pee break. Also, there's a ginormous rock that is apparently notorious for some reason. Our guide told us, but for the life of me, I didn't care. There was a Pratt & Whitney R-2800 radial aircraft engine in the sand, and that was of much more interest to me. But, you can climb up a giant rock. Or, whatever.

IMG_2860-L.jpg

She seems amazed, but she's humoring the History Geek.

The tour takes you to the California Lighthouse...

IMG_2866-L.jpg

Her hat was long gone by now. I tried to catch it while she was driving, but riding b!tch

is a lot of work....

IMG_2864-L.jpg

Yay...riding b!tch.

IMG_2829-L.jpg

You, too, can hike up a wooden ladder to beat this giant rock! I'll be at the bottom in the Air Conditioning.

IMG_2845-L.jpg

Tourist Trap? Who cares....we're riding trikes, you're on an old beat-up school bus!

IMG_2860-XL.jpg

She seems amazed...but, she's humoring the History Geek...

IMG_2829-L.jpg

Here's a giant rock. You can climb it, and beat it....or, you can meet me in the Air Conditioning.

IMG_2884-L.jpg

She looks Happy...that's all that matters.

IMG_2881-L.jpg

A little chapel in the high desert...

IMG_2869-L.jpg

Divi Divi means "I love you"....

IMG_2848-L.jpg

A Pirate Ship!!!!! There was no plundering. But, apparently, a sh!t ton of Rum. Yay, Rum!!!

Excellent Review and some awesome pictures. The commentary is hilarious. Those trikes look absolutely amazing. We did Segway rides in Paris, Barcelona, Malta and Rome and looks like we will try these Trikes when we cruise to Aruba. Will need to learn how to operate a bike tho!

Cheers!

Nick