Pre-Cruise Hotel in Vancouver

DShock

We just stayed at the Pinnacle Marriott.

We used points, but noticed the rates were "reasonable" considering it is a Marriott.

It was raining on the morning we boarded the ship, so we took a cab. I'm glad we did because even though we could see the cruise terminal from our room, the terminal entry point ended up being on the far side and the walk would have taken much longer than I would have imagined. We could have done it, but with luggage and everything, the cab turned out to be a good choice.

The Marriott was a typical Marriott... comfortable and nice. However, I wouldn't call it "special." But with that said, I would certainly stay there again.

What would be an average tip for the bellman that picks up your luggage and sends it to the ship? Do you have to get your luggage when you get down to the terminal or do they send it right to the ship? We are staying there before our cruise in two weeks! So excited! :)

I think we tipped him about $20 for the three bags. We left the bags in our hotel room as instructed. The tip we just left on top of one of the suitcases.

I have to admit we were a little leery of trusting the hotel to get the cases to the ship. Kept thinking "what if they don't do what they are supposed to and we have no clothes for the week!!"

But we worried needlessly. The cases all showed up in our cabin onboard with no problem. It was really nice not to have to look after them ourselves.

If you have a bit of extra time there at the Pan Pacific, there is a "ride" called "Fly over Canada" in the same complex as the hotel. We did that the day before the cruise. It was fun - look it up online.

What about some less expensive hotels near the port?

You really need to search the general hotel booking sites to find the best prices. These also change with time, so if you look a few weeks apart a different hotel may be a better deal. We did like le Soleil and the Hyatt Regency on Burrard and have gotten good deals on both. Have also used the "book 3 1/2 stars" on that type of web site - the Hyatt was what we got for both. You can often tell what hotel you will get by comparing photos and the number of ratings before you commit. For example, got Hyatt for upcoming trip for $202 when normal price was $315 US. Don't expect a breakfast at these rates or even hotel points, but Tim Horton's donuts are better anyway.

Another point: We always drive in from Seattle but turn in the car before checking in to the hotel. Most of the hotels want $20-30 a night for parking.

You can't get any closer to the pier than the Pan Pacific! So easy and convenient. They will look after transferring your luggage onto the ship, so no need for you to lug it.

What about the reverse? Our cruise ends in Vancouver. Will they take bags from the ship to the hotel?

What about the reverse? Our cruise ends in Vancouver. Will they take bags from the ship to the hotel?

Sorry, I can't answer that. After disembarkation we headed straight to the airport.