Anyone just back from October Barcelona to Venice cruise on Regatta?

OBX Cruisers

A group of six of us are taking this trip (however, in reverse, i.e., Venice to Barcelona) in October '06 and are just as anxious to hear your comments. Most of us will have been, by then, on one or more Oceania Cruises (So. America and the Far East). Look forward to hearing from anybody with suggestions for shore excursions, hotels in Venice and Barcelona, etc.

Rich

In April, 2004, we stayed at the Hotel Colon right at the centre of the tourist district in Barcelona. It overlooked a square next to a cathedral. The room was relatively small but decent and had a balcony. It was 160 euros per day. Then we stayed at the Duodo Palace Hotel close to St. Mark's Square in Venice. Again, it was a local four-star, nice enough and with extremely high ceiling (perhaps 15+ feet, higher than our tape could measure). It charged 200 euros per night, including continental breakfast.

We took taxi tours at every port, which cost 40 to 50 euros per hour, or on a full day basis (Rome, Florence/Pissa) for 230 to 250 euros per day. Make sure you bargain and agree on a price first, and in the process, you can test whether the driver speaks workable English! Taxi tours are not much more expensive than two people on the ship's excursion, but you decide on where you want to go, with all the convenience and privacy. Also, taxis can enter places where buses cannot (parked for a few minutes much closer to interesting sites). They are much cheaper than pre-booked limousines (even though the driver may not be a professional guide).

We just returned from this cruise Monday. I have no time to write a report regarding this, but if you have questions please ask. We stayed one day precruise in Barcelona and three days post in Venice. Barcelona we stayed at the NH Calderon and was very pleased. In Venice we stayed at the Locanda Orseolo. This is a B&B. You could not stay anywhere else and get the full feel of Venice. Anyway, ask questions if you care.

Well I think I am getting caught up enough on bookwork to post a reply.

First let me say that the Oceania Regatta was a wonderful ship. We had the best time. Of course our friends that were sailing with us had alot to do with this also. But even so, we make the best of any bad situation and the very best, of a good situation.

Barcelona, you must try and stay two days. We arrived on October 7th, at about 3:30 p.m. Flight was late leaving Paris. Our friends were waiting for us on the street in front of the NH Calderon. We checked in and sat in the bar a moment and had a glass of wine. From there we hit the streets for awhile. Walked the Las Ramblas. We are from the Bay Area and frequent San Francisco alot, so what we see on the Las Ramblas, we see some of this in San Francisco. Not all mind you, just some things. But of course you are in Spain and the thrill and magic of it all is a sight in itself. Barcelona does not wake up until at least 10:00 p.m. As I have said, we stayed at the NH Calderon. This Hotel is a few blocks above the Las Ramblas, more in the highend shopping district. We found it very safe for strolling the street. Very clean and basic decorations. But we were not there for any fancy room decor. Only clean sheets, clean bathroom (they had good amenites in the bathroom), and a good bar and great brunch. The had it all.

We ate, we drank, and just absorbed the sorroundings. It was wonderful.

The temp was about 70 at about 9:00 p.m. Oh, one other thing, I booked Angie (just search her name if you are interested), to pick us up at the airport and then again to take us to the ship. She was ontime both ways. I had also asked her if they sold Diet Pepsi in Barcelona. She had a shopping bag waiting for me at the hotel when we arrived full of Diet Pepsi ( Pepsi Light in other countries). What a gal! Need to stop for now. I will write again soon. Carol

Carol,

We stayed at Locanda Orseolo for 4 nights pre-cruise on our Venice to Barcelona cruise in May. Isn't it wonderful!!! We loved everything about it. Who was the cruise director on the Regatta?

Joan

• 3 weeks later...

Archived