Tips

My issue is that I doubt we ever go to the main dining room so someone will be waiting on me at the other places too eat (I really hate formal dinners). I absolutely want to tip the full amount and more but would rather give it to the people actually waiting on me. Is there a good way to deal with this? I am a very good tipper but think it is weird if I am tipping people that I never even see while the folks waiting on me get nothing. I am 99% sure I will never set foot in the main dining rooms.

The folks who work in the main dining room at night also work in the windjammer at various times. So across their roster the tips work out fairly. If you want to leave cash in the windjammer you can, but it's not necessary.

For those in the know - Does the Matradee get any of the tips. I am coeliac and the Matradee usually helps get stuff in the dining room sorted for me- I have always assumed that she/he does not get any tips so have tipped appropriately for my assistance. But they usually seem quite surprised at getting it are they on a different type of wage scale to the other dining room staff ( I tip on the last evening as I do not tip ahead - that's a bribe)

For those in the know - Does the Matradee get any of the tips. I am coeliac and the Matradee usually helps get stuff in the dining room sorted for me- I have always assumed that she/he does not get any tips so have tipped appropriately for my assistance. But they usually seem quite surprised at getting it are they on a different type of wage scale to the other dining room staff ( I tip on the last evening as I do not tip ahead - that's a bribe)

It's usually the head waiter (not the Maitre-D) who assists with your special food needs, so yes, he gets a share of the tips. Head waiters oversee large zones of the dining room, and are responsible for your Waiter and Assistant Waiter, and to ensure that everything is running smoothly in the designated area of the dining room.

The Maitre-D is one person who is responsible for the entire dining room - he does the seating assignments and the wait team assignments. He is in a higher salary bracket than the Head Waiter and the wait team, so no tip necessary.

Edited by DonnaK

It's usually the head waiter (not the Maitre-D) who assists with your special food needs, so yes, he gets a share of the tips. Head waiters oversee large zones of the dining room, and are responsible for your Waiter and Assistant Waiter, and to ensure that everything is running smoothly in the designated area of the dining room.

The Maitre-D is one person who is responsible for the entire dining room - he does the seating assignments and the wait team assignments. He is in a higher salary bracket than the Head Waiter and the wait team, so no tip necessary.

I may have used the wrong title in the past it has been the lady at the desk who has sorted out some issues for us (things like being given the wrong menu to order from the day before- so no meal ready, getting given a dish with gluten by mistake) - not sure what she would be called - In UK its the meet and seat person at a restaurant-

I may have used the wrong title in the past it has been the lady at the desk who has sorted out some issues for us (things like being given the wrong menu to order from the day before- so no meal ready, getting given a dish with gluten by mistake) - not sure what she would be called - In UK its the meet and seat person at a restaurant-

That's the Head Waiter, and he/she is included in the tips.

You almost never see the Maitre-D. He generally works behind the scenes.

That's the Head Waiter, and he/she is included in the tips.

You almost never see the Maitre-D. He generally works behind the scenes.

thanks for that info - I did meet the Maitre-D last year on the Rhapsody- after some major issues that lead to us having been mistakenly turned away from the Main dining room for the first 3 nights of our trip.- He wasn't the nicest of chaps and kind of talked down to the young lady from customers services who taken me to see him and was trying to sort out the fiasco. He didn't talk down to her boss when she arrived for back up and he personaly took us to our table the that night- lol