oceana help please

tayjay2001

Hi ive just booked a cruise for August on the oceana. Not sure what to expect after reading some bad reviews. I have sailed royal carribean a few times and carnival and thomson felt thomson was very dated it was the dream and the food was poor but i enjoyed the atmoshphere. From what ive read I think oceana will be much the same. Can anyone tell me is there ironing facilities on board, and also about the tipping can they be removed. I always tip but feel I should be able to tip whom I want too. I have removed them on other cruises but will this be frowned upon. From what I can see bar prices are quite good but they dont do the all inclusive drinks packages apart from wine. Also ive read the wifi is extortionate. I always like to be able to keep in touch with home kids etc. Thanks.

Not only ironing facilities but self service washing machines and driers which are free to use but you have to provide the detergents, which can be purchased in the on board shop or take your own.

You can remove the gratuities should you wish.

Like most ships internet is expensive and slow. It's not too difficult to find free wifi ashore.

Brian

Hi ive just booked a cruise for August on the oceana. Not sure what to expect after reading some bad reviews.QUOTE]

We have done Oceana 3 times in the past. We booked our cruise 10th -24th Aug within a week of doing a similar one week cruise in April 2015. She isn't the youngest ship but we love her ................. don't expect RCI 'new ship' quality and you will have a great time.

We go out on the 10th Aug and are really excited.

You'll find drinks way cheaper than a UK cruise line

Have not tried to cancel automatic tips but have friends who do that and it isn't an issue.

Which cruise have you just booked?

Hi ive just booked a cruise for August on the oceana. Not sure what to expect after reading some bad reviews. I have sailed royal carribean a few times and carnival and thomson felt thomson was very dated it was the dream and the food was poor but i enjoyed the atmoshphere. From what ive read I think oceana will be much the same. Can anyone tell me is there ironing facilities on board, and also about the tipping can they be removed. I always tip but feel I should be able to tip whom I want too. I have removed them on other cruises but will this be frowned upon. From what I can see bar prices are quite good but they dont do the all inclusive drinks packages apart from wine. Also ive read the wifi is extortionate. I always like to be able to keep in touch with home kids etc. Thanks.

Bar prices seemed quite reasonable and the wine prices are comparable with UK restaurants. In port we sometimes did a local café for lunchtime snack and many of these had free wifi for that quick email home.

Edited by anniebea

I sailed on Oceana last August from Genoa to Venice. I bought an Internet package but found that it ran out very quickly and the speed wasn't great. I am on O2 and the data roaming charge in the EU is only £1.99 a day so it worked out cheaper to do that on port days. I just had to remember to switch off my data roaming once we had left the port as the maritime roaming charges are extortionate!

My 2 year old daughter and I had a great time on this cruise, probably the best holiday I've had. It was the right amount of both relaxing and activity. I enjoyed the shows, my daughter loved the pirate pool and kids club. The food was good and even our inside cabin, which we were allocated because of a cheap deal, was surprisingly good. You will have an amazing time.

we come out on the 17th august fly from newcastle to venice so I think you will be on the same time as us. !!

We board on the 10th for 2 weeks so see you there ....,,

Please don't be put off by bad reviews, everybody is different and we all like different things - the very thing that somebody hates about a ship may be the thing that you love. We were on Oceana last December and, yes, it was a bit tired and could do with a refurb but there was that undefinable "something" about the ship that made it special.......so special that within a few weeks of being home we'd booked the same cruise for this year :). My favourite ship is RCI's Independence but Oceana has now overtaken Arcadia as my favourite P&O ship so stop worrying about other people's opinions and start getting excited lol.

Gill

Please don't be put off by bad reviews, everybody is different and we all like different things - the very thing that somebody hates about a ship may be the thing that you love. We were on Oceana last December and, yes, it was a bit tired and could do with a refurb but there was that undefinable "something" about the ship that made it special.......so special that within a few weeks of being home we'd booked the same cruise for this year :). My favourite ship is RCI's Independence but Oceana has now overtaken Arcadia as my favourite P&O ship so stop worrying about other people's opinions and start getting excited lol.

Gill

Totally agree. Have to say we weren't keen on the IOS but there is something about Oceana, older than some, but we love her :)

Totally agree. Have to say we weren't keen on the IOS but there is something about Oceana, older than some, but we love her :)

We're on E611b right now, passing through the Straits of Messina en-route for Rome and think the Oceana is rather good, to be honest. Food is excellent, service is good, balcony cabin very comfortable. Don't really see what all the Duff reviews were about.