Staying on ship in port - Grandeur?

I'd like to surprise DH with a cruise. We like to leave from Baltimore so we can drive to the port. We love the Carnival Pride (we were married on her) but the sail dates don't work with the days we can take off.

Grandeur sails from Baltimore, and there is an affordable 9 day with doable dates, but the itinerary sucks. I'm talking only get off at 1 or 2 of the 5 ports sucks. Is the Grandeur the kind of ship that would keep us occupied for 7 or 8 days? We like typical cruise stuff...laying around the pool, browsing the shops, trivia, etc.

Edited by VASOXFANN

Recently, there have been a number of good Grandeur reviews that might be worth reading to give you a feel for what is available on board. Currently, there is one live one right now, and a very entertaining read.:D

Baltimore

At sea

Charleston

Port Canaveral

Miami

Nassau

CocoCay

At sea

At sea

Baltimore

We've been to Nassau several times, and I've been to CocoCay once (several years ago) and wasn't impressed. We'd probably get off there because DH hasn't been. The only other place I can see us getting off is Charleston.

Recently, there have been a number of good Grandeur reviews that might be worth reading to give you a feel for what is available on board. Currently, there is one live one right now, and a very entertaining read.:D

I'll check it out. Thanks!

I'd like to surprise DH with a cruise. We like to leave from Baltimore so we can drive to the port. We love the Carnival Pride (we were married on her) but the sail dates don't work with the days we can take off.

Grandeur sails from Baltimore, and there is an affordable 9 day with doable dates, but the itinerary sucks. I'm talking only get off at 1 or 2 of the 5 ports sucks. Is the Grandeur the kind of ship that would keep us occupied for 7 or 8 days? We like typical cruise stuff...laying around the pool, browsing the shops, trivia, etc.

Grandeur has a very nice covered adult Solarium,excellent place to relax and read.

Baltimore

At sea

Charleston

Port Canaveral

Miami

Nassau

CocoCay

At sea

At sea

Baltimore

We've been to Nassau several times, and I've been to CocoCay once (several years ago) and wasn't impressed. We'd probably get off there because DH hasn't been. The only other place I can see us getting off is Charleston.

I would love this itinerary. The only port I would stay on the ship would be Nassau, only because I've been there many times, and I just don't care for it. Charleston is a gorgeous city to wander around, there's a lot of history there, and you could easily spend a wonderful day there. If you've never been to the Kennedy Space Center, that would be a great excursion in Port Canaveral, and Miami is, well, it's Miami! Take a taxi to South Beach and have a blast! We've spent many a vacations in SoBe, and have never had a problem filling up our time there.

Grandeur is a terrific "small" ship, and we enjoyed sailing on her very much. If you don't require all the bells 'n whistles that the bigger ships offer, there's no reason why you won't enjoy Grandeur. And Baltimore is the easiest port to cruise out of. When we lived in MD, we took advantage of cruising on both RCI and Carnival, and loved, loved, loved how easy it was.

Book it and have a fabulous time:cool:

There is a ton of trivia on Lady G. The shops will be closed in ports like any other cruise, so that won't be an option on those days. I stayed on board in April at the Labadee stop. There were more people than I expected poolside with me.

If you like being by the pool, then you will be fine.

Our sailing last month was Bermuda, Nassau, and Coco Cay and we only got off in Bermuda since we'd never been there before. In actuality, we even cut our shore time short on the first Bermuda day because we were too interested in the events that evening on the ship. You will certainly not have any trouble filling your day with trivia and other games and we rarely saw the Solarium loungers full.

Yeah, we'll definitely get off in Charleston. The other ports really don't appeal to me - we've been to Nassau a bunch plus PC and Miami couple of times each.

Agree. Other than Charleston and maybe CoCoCay, the itinerary isn't the best.

Still, just to be cruising could be enjoyable. :)