Min age?

Rob.Jane

What is the min age for scoops diving? I searched online. Some websites say 10... others say it's 12, but right now I'm looking at one that says its 16. I do not know much about it (have never done it myself), but I'm traveling soon with my nephew and he is crazy about it. He is reading about it every single day. But I am not sure if I need to start searching for this type of activities cause he is only 11.

What is the min age for scoops diving? I searched online. Some websites say 10... others say it's 12, but right now I'm looking at one that says its 16. I do not know much about it (have never done it myself), but I'm traveling soon with my nephew and he is crazy about it. He is reading about it every single day. But I am not sure if I need to start searching for this type of activities cause he is only 11.

I suspect you were the victim of an auto-correct, and meant scuba diving.

If you're looking for a "Discover Scuba" excursion (AKA a resort dive) the minimum age is actually 10 years. The limit of participants per instructor for a Discover Scuba dive is only 4 per instructor in any event. Also to conduct these dives, one must be an instructor, not merely an Assistant Instructor or Dive Master. PADI allows up to four, regardless of age. I'm an SSI Instructor, and our standards mandate that if there is one participant 10 or 11 years old, there cannot be more than two participants with the instructor; and the other may not be younger than 15. So the agency with which the operator is affiliated can effect whether they'll conduct a Discover Scuba dive for an 11 year old.

So, to make the proposition economically viable, a lot of operators are going to make 12 years the minimum. Beyond that, there are a sizable number of of instructors who will not teach scuba to younger students. I am sure that some operators are probably dealing with insurance restrictions as well.

Beyond a Discover Scuba experience, it is possible for an 11 year old to get scuba certified. However, it's daunting as the class size is restricted - again affecting the economy of holding the course - and there are limitations on divers under 15 (Maximum depth 60 feet, and must be accompanied by a Dive Professional or certified adult on all dives). If you're considering full scuba certification, it's critical to really evaluate the instructor, and it's not something you'd want to do during a vacation, but instead would want to look into pre-trip.

So if you're looking at a discover scuba experience for your nephew during a cruise, you'd want to contact the operator in advance (email would be best) to ensure they'll be able to accommodate you. If you find one that is able to do this, be prepared for an additional fee, to off-set the smaller group.

As much as I want to see everyone with an interest take up diving, it would likely be best to look at waiting at least until he's 12, and perhaps look at exploring actually getting certified as a diver at home - where things can move at a schedule tailored to him - rather than in the context of a half day experience during your trip.

If I can help with more specifics (assuming I haven't already bored you to tears), please feel free to click the link below and send an email.

Harris

Denver, CO

There's a tremendous amount of variability in the discover scuba courses available. Everything from an hour+ classroom session followed by a respectable "confined" water practice session before the actual dive for my kids in Curacao, to a 10 minute lecture on the boat ride out and "in the water you go" in Nassau for my wife and I.

It's a personal decision of course, but I'd never take my nieces or nephews on a discover scuba (and I'm a certified diver). IMHO that's a parent's responsibility.

Thank you, guys. Now its clear that he will have to wait at least a couple of years. I just do not want to disappoint him. Will be searching for another type of activity suitable for a 11 y/o. Thank you!!!!