Phy My Vietnam dock questions

jrblach

if anyone has docked here recently, can you tell us if any taxis were available at the pier? where any shuttles to Siagon - Ho Chi Minh City offered? if yes on anything, details and prices. thank you

We were in Phu My this past March on the Volendam. Holland America had a round trip bus transfer into Ho Chi Minh City for US$59.95. Drop off and pick up was at the Skydeck building in District 1, which allows you to walk to lots of the tourist sites. Don't know about taxis at the dock.

Hi we were there a few weeks ago on the Ovation of the Seas. It is a working port, and there were two working ports near each other. No facilities at all. We got a fabulous welcome with locals in national dress etc, and there were some makeshift stalls were set up selling stuff. It was extremely hot & humid and rained in the afternoon on the way back to the ship.

We had a private tour arranged (MyWay travel) and they were not allowed inside the port gates to meet us at the ship unless we paid another USD22.50 each. It was about a 10-15 minute to walk to the port gate across a wide, flat, concrete area with no shelter, inbetween containers and cars, no safety concerns here as we could walk about freely. But it was a weekend with no cargo activity.

I can't remember if I saw taxis at the port gate but I wouldn't count on it. I'd say it would best to arrange something ahead of time.

The ship excursion buses were at the ship of course. And some other pre-booked private vans that either had clearance or paid the extra I don't know.

It was about one and half hours drive into Saigon (as our local guide preferred to call it) and they have loads of traffic, so factor that in to your return and allow extra time! I would suggest it is best to pre-arrange a driver if you need to go somewhere.

Hope this helps.

Was there in Feb. As said, it is an industrial port with no amenities. The officials decided at the last minute to not allow vendors at the ship but the lovely greeters were there. Only certain prearranged tour guides were allowed onto the pier but for this cruise, HAL had a free shuttle into Phu My and the transfer excursion to 'Saigon'.

Was there in Feb. As said, it is an industrial port with no amenities. The officials decided at the last minute to not allow vendors at the ship but the lovely greeters were there. Only certain prearranged tour guides were allowed onto the pier but for this cruise, HAL had a free shuttle into Phu My and the transfer excursion to 'Saigon'.

there is a town nearby = you pass thru it on way to saigon. how did this shuttle work? how did you find out about it? thanks

there is a town nearby = you pass thru it on way to saigon. how did this shuttle work? how did you find out about it? thanks

The port lecturer talked about it and there was a note in the daily bulletin about where to find it, where it went and times it would run. It was provided by the port so HAL had little if any control about the shuttle (it did start 30 minutes later than expected). It was free for the cruise I was on but things change.

Edited by take us away