Alaska Port Shopping Advice (2015, 2016)

dd likes to cruise

Would love shopping advice, deals, etc. for the ports of Ketchikan, Icy Strait Point, Juneau, and Skagway. Maybe advice from this year and last year so it will be relatively current.

Found a 10 year thread about port shopping and worried the advice on it might be outdated. I read at least one of the stores they referred to is no longer in business.

Dori - heading to Alaska in 7 weeks. Radiance of the Seas (Aug 26)

There is no definitive "best". Depends on what you are looking for. I always buy soap from Glacier Smoothie in Juneau, but I also love Soho Coho in Ketchikan. My husband and sons love the knife shop in Skagway. Everyone will have their own favorites.

I've found better deals in Ketchikan than anywhere else for t-shirts and the like. However, I found a great deal on whale tail earrings - in a gray jewelry box, which was also sold on the ship. I paid $9.99 for the same earrings on the ship. The ship had them on sale for $25.99! I purchased mine at the top of Mt. Robert's tramway. I also bought a necklace for I think $12.99 in Skagway at a shop across the street from the train museum. My sister wanted the matching necklace. Still a better deal than the ship.

Over the years I've read a number of posts referring to end of season cruising yielding a lot of deals as the merchants "unload" inventory before they close for the season. Had not thought about it but it is an item to add to the list or pros and cons about when to cruise.