Cozumel Closed What is Next Likely Port for Carnival?

Chucksta63

How quickly they forget.

When Ivan nailed Grand Cayman it was stronger than Wilma @ Cozumel and didn't move a whole lot faster.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2004/pub/al092004.public.041.shtml

Grand Cayman is tiny and isolated, Cozumel is just a few miles off mainland Mexico.

Progreso is not a pit. I really enjoyed Progreso.

I have no doubt some tourists will be returning to Cozumel by Christmas.

I agree with you that Cozumel will recover more quickly than Cayman did for the reasons you mentioned. The main difference between the two situations though is the damage to the piers. If one pier is operating, then Coz should be running on a limited basis by Christmas, I agree. But looking at the piers...I'm hoping, but doubtful the other two piers will be rebuilt by then.

With Chankanaab "gone" and all of the sand gone from Palm, Paradise, San Francisco and Playa Mia beaches, there's significant work to be done there as well.

I doubt Chankanaab will be back to full capacity by then basd on how long it took them to re-open after Emily. If they can ship in sand for all of the beaches, then the beach clubs could be back up and running relatively quickly.

Over the next couple weeks, the priority will be re-establishing the infrastructure (electricity, water, etc). Once that's done, I think getting the tourist infrastructure up and running again will take priority.

I'm scheduled to be there on Dec 22nd on the Liberty and I sincerely hope to be able to see Tom at Paradise Beach again. If not, it looks like it will be either Costa Maya or Belize for our particular cruise (my guess).

Thanks for the Veracruz links. I don't know whether our Jan NCL cruise will be re-routed or not but it's nice to be prepared. Personally I have always wanted to go to Veracruz (My brother went there as part of his honeymoon some years ago and he loved it.)

Archived