Need help deciding between two cruises

I'm trying to get together a list of pros and cons for two cruises I'm looking at. The first is a 14-Night repo on the Vision from Cape Liberty to Galveston. The second is the "Beantown & Beaches" on the Serenade from Boston.

The price is right for both of them, although I can comfortably afford a JS on the Vision, and a normal balcony on the Serenade.

The Vision-class ships are my second favourite after the Empress, although the Radiance-class ships come a close third.

What is around the port of Galveston? Is there an easy transfer to the airport? Do they offer direct flights to Newark? What are the prices like? I'd be driving to either Boston or Cape Liberty, so getting to an airport easily after the cruise is a must, and I know that Fort Lauderdale is very easy.

The ports are a non-issue. I've been to all of them.

I know the Vision was recently refurbished, did it bring her to the same level that the Grandeur and the Enchantment are on?

The Serenade... when was she last refurbished? I was last on her in 2009.

I've been leaning towards the Vision, especially with an aft JS still open, but there's a lot of uncertainty about it for me. But I personally like the Serenade's itinerary better. Has anyone done this itinerary before? I see it is offered in 2016 and 2017... was it offered in 2015? Can anyone comment on how it was?

Thanks for the help in advance.

With regard to the flights from Galveston, you have a choice of Houston Hobby (HOU) and Bush Intercontinental (IAH). Hobby is much closer to the port, about 45 minutes, and has service mostly by Southwest. You will find flights to EWR from there, though I don't know about non-stops. IAH is much farther, at least 90 minutes will have flights by all the major airlines.

Transfers will be much more expensive than at Ft. Lauderdale.

I am currently booked on the Liberty out of Galveston for next year and have found the ease of getting from airport to cruise port limited to either car rental for the week or shuttle which averages around $160 & up each way from IAH. We will be doing a car rental. We haven't been on a Vision Class but have been on the Serenade and love that class.

With regard to the flights from Galveston, you have a choice of Houston Hobby (HOU) and Bush Intercontinental (IAH). Hobby is much closer to the port, about 45 minutes, and has service mostly by Southwest. You will find flights to EWR from there, though I don't know about non-stops. IAH is much farther, at least 90 minutes will have flights by all the major airlines.

Thanks. I did not know the airport was so far away. It would explain why "Galveston Airport" never showed up for me.

I am currently booked on the Liberty out of Galveston for next year and have found the ease of getting from airport to cruise port limited to either car rental for the week or shuttle which averages around $160 & up each way from IAH. We will be doing a car rental. We haven't been on a Vision Class but have been on the Serenade and love that class.

Don't think I can swing a car rental just to get from point a to point b sadly... That is rather expensive for a transfer :eek:

Galveston seems to be a drive to port that appeals more to Texans and those in neighboring states. We thought about cruising out of there but changed our minds and booked out of Ft Lauderdale. Go to the ports of call section for more info. I'm willing to spend more money to get to the port in Europe but not out of Galveston. :(

... Don't think I can swing a car rental just to get from point a to point b sadly... That is rather expensive for a transfer :eek:

You will find that Galveston is one of the least convenient cruise ports for fly-in travelers.

You will find that Galveston is one of the least convenient cruise ports for fly-in travelers.

Does it work the same way in reverse? The Vision cruise would just me needing to get from the port to the airport to go back to New Jersey.

This would explain why all the cruises out of there are such good deals.

Does it work the same way in reverse? The Vision cruise would just me needing to get from the port to the airport to go back to New Jersey.

This would explain why all the cruises out of there are such good deals.

Yes, the transfers tend to be more expensive than a similar Florida port (distance to airport), such as Port Canaveral. I believe taxi runs about $100 to HOU. I'd also check with Galveston Express. They have gotten some postive reviews on the Gulf Coast Departures forum.

Edited by clarea

Yes, the transfers tend to be more expensive than a similar Florida port (distance to airport), such as Port Canaveral. I believe taxi runs about $100 to HOU. I'd also check with Galveston Express. They have gotten some postive reviews on the Gulf Coast Departures forum.

Thanks, I'll put some research into it to see what I can find

I'm trying to get together a list of pros and cons for two cruises I'm looking at. The first is a 14-Night repo on the Vision from Cape Liberty to Galveston. The second is the "Beantown & Beaches" on the Serenade from Boston.

The price is right for both of them, although I can comfortably afford a JS on the Vision, and a normal balcony on the Serenade.

The Vision-class ships are my second favourite after the Empress, although the Radiance-class ships come a close third.

What is around the port of Galveston? Is there an easy transfer to the airport? Do they offer direct flights to Newark? What are the prices like? I'd be driving to either Boston or Cape Liberty, so getting to an airport easily after the cruise is a must, and I know that Fort Lauderdale is very easy.

The ports are a non-issue. I've been to all of them.

I know the Vision was recently refurbished, did it bring her to the same level that the Grandeur and the Enchantment are on?

The Serenade... when was she last refurbished? I was last on her in 2009.

I've been leaning towards the Vision, especially with an aft JS still open, but there's a lot of uncertainty about it for me. But I personally like the Serenade's itinerary better. Has anyone done this itinerary before? I see it is offered in 2016 and 2017... was it offered in 2015? Can anyone comment on how it was?

Thanks for the help in advance.

I too like the Serenade itinerary better but I have hi-lighted what you have posted to us to help you as I feel you needed to point out certain important criteria for yourself to help us understand your decision making?

• 14 days vs. 12,
  • aft JS (with double points) vs. balcony,
  • you don't care about the ports,
  • you already like Vision Class better than Radiance Class.

Who cares that Galveston transfer may be 1/2 hour longer and $25 more than Ft Lauderdale.... how about the previous 14 days on Vision in that aft JS? :)

I think your answer is clear actually... do the Vision cruise.

Whichever you choose, have a great cruise!

Vision remodeled in 2013... pictures with short ship tour here (also aft JS pictures):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1973232

Edited by Hoopster95

RCL transfer (coach buses) from port to IAH = $49 per person.

Thanks. That's a good hard number to work with.

I too like the Serenade itinerary better but I have hi-lighted what you have posted to us to help you as I feel you needed to point out certain important criteria for yourself to help us understand your decision making?

• 14 days vs. 12,
  • aft JS (with double points) vs. balcony,
  • you don't care about the ports,
  • you already like Vision Class better than Radiance Class.

Who cares that Galveston transfer may be 1/2 hour longer and $25 more than Ft Lauderdale.... how about the previous 14 days on Vision in that aft JS? :)

I think your answer is clear actually... do the Vision cruise.

Whichever you choose, have a great cruise!

Vision remodeled in 2013... pictures with short ship tour here (also aft JS pictures):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1973232

Thanks for the link! Balcony looks pretty good, not the one that is open, sadly. I had aft JS on the Grandeur and I loved it, might have spoiled myself too much... haven't had a normal balcony in years! I actually forego Grand Suites and Owners because they aren't on the aft.

The Vision looks great. I'd like to hear if anyone has information on the Serenade and that itinerary before I make a final choice. Might just have to put a hold in on the JS before anyone else comes by and swoops in...

ADS94, i have spent several weeks searching our options. We would probably have taken the shuttle, however a couple on the following cruise a month later, live in Houston and want to meet my husband & I so decided only way we can do that is rent a car and leave at the Galveston Hotel. My initial plan was to fly into IAH, spend the night and have a shuttle down & back. I also considered cruise transfers however since IAH is 1 1/2 hrs away, and the transfers need to wait for everyone before leaving I didn't want to chance a late departure especially if ship is delayed.

I checked Galveston Express and they told me they take no less then 5. Only reason we are even doing this cruise, friends we have cruised with will be celebrating their 50th and invited friends & family, so didn't want to pass that event up.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

We got a direct flight (United) from IAH to EWR, but it was the middle leg of a 3 parter. So, I wouldn't be surprised if they try to route you to somewhere else first.

Personally, I'd say 2 hour drive one way for IAH and 1 Hour for HOU, but we did it back when the speed limit was 55 MPH.

I'd go for the AFt JS on Vision because you get double C & A points. Decide soon, because the AFT rooms sell out quickly.

If you take a Royal transfer, they'll want to fill the bus first before heading out.