Who can eat more than their cruise fare in food?

usacamaro

How many sit down restaurants would remain open if they served those nasty buffet "scrambled" eggs? Or greasy, under or over cooked bacon?

I don't think any NY restaurant would stay open serving any of the dinners that I've eaten in the MDR. I would be offended if I was paying for a meal at a decent restaurant and something similar to a mass produced cafeteria serving appeared for a $30 tab. The Steakhouse is different.

I know that maybe the only mass produced meals that I might pay for if they were the same quality as a cruise line might be the omelets.

The deli sandwich shops don't compare, if you go to a real Mongolian Wok you will find a much better product.

I think it's absurd to compare any cruise line's mass produced food with an entree in any decent ala carte restaurant.

first of all, i like those scrambled eggs on the buffet that you consider 'nasty'. no worries, i'll eat your portion as well. :D

second, i consider the mdr food to be on par with chili's, applebees, and such so the food definitely compares to a decent ala carte restaurant.

Put me up with your gang and I'll be a formidable competitor. Do you guys also hit the Pizza Pirate for slices (mini pies)? And then some of the soft swirl ice cream way late at night/early in the morning. When I do dinner, I can't let my dinning room and chefs down, I must "sample several appetizers, sometimes get multiple entries and of course desert usually melt cake with a scoop of each flavor of the ice cream. I give my cabin commode a hearty workout.

:):):):)

After my first 5 cruises I stopped eating like a gavone and began acting like I had seen food already in my life.

I still order 2 entrees like those little lobster tails they serve and sometimes will order a combo surf entree to go with a turf entree.

I don't feel the need to order more than what I normally would eat at home or in a restaurant. In fact, the items I request most of are the side dishes of veggies.

The value I stress here is my own health, rather than the amount of food chowed down.

I can usually come home from a cruise weight neutral.

Points for using gavone correctly! Also, if anyone wants more bang for their buck cruise fare wise, I have a 14 year old son. On our last cruise on DCL, pretty sure he ate the entire family's cruise fare, and then some. He will cruise for food....

first of all, i like those scrambled eggs on the buffet that you consider 'nasty'. no worries, i'll eat your portion as well. :D

second, i consider the mdr food to be on par with chili's, applebees, and such so the food definitely compares to a decent ala carte restaurant.

I would bump it up to maybe something closer to a Cheesecake Factory, Red Lobster, Outback or Olive Garden. Maybe even the local country club dining room.

But I've yet to have a good flat iron in the MDR. Some people claim they are terrific but I guess I was there on the wrong night.

I would bump it up to maybe something closer to a Cheesecake Factory, Red Lobster, Outback or Olive Garden. Maybe even the local country club dining room.

But I've yet to have a good flat iron in the MDR. Some people claim they are terrific but I guess I was there on the wrong night.

if you can live with it, ask for them to cook it medium. if you go with medium well or well done it will come out like shoe leather. it's pretty darn good at medium though.

How many sit down restaurants would remain open if they served those nasty buffet "scrambled" eggs? Or greasy, under or over cooked bacon?

I don't think any NY restaurant would stay open serving any of the dinners that I've eaten in the MDR. I would be offended if I was paying for a meal at a decent restaurant and something similar to a mass produced cafeteria serving appeared for a $30 tab. The Steakhouse is different.

I know that maybe the only mass produced meals that I might pay for if they were the same quality as a cruise line might be the omelets.

The deli sandwich shops don't compare, if you go to a real Mongolian Wok you will find a much better product.

I think it's absurd to compare any cruise line's mass produced food with an entree in any decent ala carte restaurant.

You are spot on in regard to the deli. I'd say the deli on all my Carnival cruises has been the weakest link in the food department by far. Pizza pirate I'd rate 6 out of 10 on the pizza scale with 10 being your NYC pizza and Giordano's in Chicago. I rate the cardboard crap of Pappa Johns, Domino's Pizza Hut barley clocking it at a 4. For whatever reason breakfast in the MDR would merit a solid 7. Much better than Denny's or overpriced, overrated IHOP slop. The mass produced scrambled eggs should be passed over. Go for an omlette custom made. The fruit and of course deserts are yummy. Most of the dinner in the MDR has not let me down. Carnival is the only place where I can indulge in Chaeteau Briand. Back tracking a bit. On ships minus Guy's burgers, the mass produced stuff looked gross. But Carnival hit it out of the park with Guy's a hearbeat/heart attack away from your cabin. Just wished they were open more hours. The Asian food ranks anywhere from Good to Very Good. 6 to maybe an 8.

Make sure your cutting the Flat Iron across the grain. Cutting with the grain gives it the shoe leather chew. Sometimes the grain isn't evident. If your first cut is tough, turn the steak 90degrees and try again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The bottom line: A cruise line like Carnival probably budgets $12 per day per person. So, 5 people = $60 per day, or $300 for the entire 5 night cruise! Trust me, you did not consume $1250 worth of food.

Sorry to burst your bubble on this. :D

I agree, but as I stated above, it is an irrelevant comparison when it comes to a cruise ship. Trust me, even a glutton can't get anything over on the cruise line.

As another said, totally irrelevant to the OP's question. What the cruise line paid or budgeted for the food you are eating has nothing to do with whether or not an individual feels they got their money's worth in food.

Eating out 3 times a day costs x amount of dollars. Snacks x amount of dollars. All that times x amount of days equals x amount of dollars. Cruise fare x amount of dollars. Question: Did you get your money's worth?

Cruise line costs - doesn't matter.

I think $150/night is a reasonable estimate for the room; similar to a mid priced hotel chain. And if you estimate food costs to be on par with most mid-to-higher end chains then you could possibly eat more than the food portion of the cruise fare. But it would be tough (albeit, I know people who do food trips and eat 2 full breakfasts, two -three full lunches, a couple of snacks and two dinners).