upgrade/upsell question

jancl57

I have only cruised NCL once and that was 4 years ago, Boston/Bermuda on the Dawn. We will be taking this same cruise next June. The prices have skyrocketed since we went 4 years ago. We are paying more for an mid-inside cabin on deck 5 then we paid for a mid balcony on deck 10 (I think it was 10) Anyhow, I've seen a couple of posts regarding upsell/upgrades and wonder how they work. An upsell is paying for an upgrade at a reduced rate as opposed to an upgrade which would be complimentary. Is that correct? Thanks!

I have only cruised NCL once and that was 4 years ago, Boston/Bermuda on the Dawn. We will be taking this same cruise next June. The prices have skyrocketed since we went 4 years ago. We are paying more for an mid-inside cabin on deck 5 then we paid for a mid balcony on deck 10 (I think it was 10) Anyhow, I've seen a couple of posts regarding upsell/upgrades and wonder how they work. An upsell is paying for an upgrade at a reduced rate as opposed to an upgrade which would be complimentary. Is that correct? Thanks!

Everybody gets upgraded for pennies on the dollar except those who actually pay for "better accomodations" to begin with. It is getting ridiculous IMHO.

sorta...

you can purchase an upgrade and that will cancel the promos you received when initially booked and then you will get the current promos when pay for the upgraded room. You can purchase an upgrade at anytime if you decide to move from an inside to a balcony or Haven, etc. On the rare occasion, NCL may provide a complimentary upgrade if there are issues you were having .... but this is not very often

an upsell is available based on the ship's occupancy rate and typically available 30 days or less to your sailing. You keep the promos from your original booking and pay a per person charge ranging from $500 - $1500 depending on room you are coming from and going to.

Hi Jan

I don't mean to insult your experience or intelligence - can't tell if you've done a lot of cruising. My experience with Dawn prices this year as opposed to the last 4 years is that the prices go WAY down as you get closer to sailing this year. I ended up sailing HAL to BDA at the end of June because the same cabin and perks we had on Dawn the last two years would be about 1K more this year. Now I look at Dawn sailings and I can equal the last years price in the same cabin with pretty much the same perks on the same date as in 2015. You might want to wait to book your trip.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Jan

I don't mean to insult your experience or intelligence - can't tell if you've done a lot of cruising. My experience with Dawn prices this year as opposed to the last 4 years is that the prices go WAY down as you get closer to sailing this year. I ended up sailing HAL to BDA at the end of June because the same cabin and perks we had on Dawn the last two years would be about 1K more this year. Now I look at Dawn sailings and I can equal the last years price in the same cabin with pretty much the same perks on the same date as in 2015. You might want to wait to book your trip.

after reading the comment about prices being lower closer to sailing, you jogged my memory that i had some historical data from earlier this year when i did research

breakaway haven spa suites:

march price/today price/sail date:

3499/2999 14-Aug

3149/2749 21-Aug

2749/3149 28-Aug

2699/sold out 4-Sep

2749/2749 11-Sep

2699/2699 18-Sep

2499/2699 25-Sep

-------------

also am i to understand from the statements above that if you go from a lower room and pay the full price to upgrade to haven, even after final payment, that you get all the free haven perks?

also am i to understand from the statements above that if you go from a lower room and pay the full price to upgrade to haven, even after final payment, that you get all the free haven perks?

after final payment is a completely different animal and you could be subject to cancellation fees etc if you want to pay an upgrade to get all Haven lerks

after final payment is a completely different animal and you could be subject to cancellation fees etc if you want to pay an upgrade to get all Haven lerks

i do understand thats the letter of the law, just was hoping should i decide to do it, that they would appreciate the cash and give it all to me without penalty. maybe if i smile on the phone :)

and if i get a cheap upsell i wont complain about a thing including he increased gratuities :)