Email from Sunset Beach - NOT $45 PP

Rowan555

I don't know what's going on - someone posted an email from Sunset Beach last week that said the new prices were $45 for adults and $30 for kids. Here is what they just emailed me:

THE NEW RATE FOR ADULTS IS 40.00 AND 20.00 FOR CHILDREN....YOU CAN PAY WITH EITHER A CREDIT CARD OR CASH.....THE MINIMUN HEIGHT FOR CHILDREN USING THE SLIDE IS 4FT BUT CHILDREN BELOW THAT HEIGHT CAN RIDE THE SLIDE WITH THEIR PARENTS......FEEL FREE TO CALL US TOLL FREE AT 1800-234-1707 IF YOU HAVE ANYMORE QUERIES..

RGDS,

DONNA

Thanks,

That Does Not Sound To Bad To Me. Isn't The Food And Drinks For The Day Included? Alcoholic Drinks ALSO????

Also, We Are First Time Cruisers And I Am Nervous About Going Off On Our Own And not through Carnival. Is This A Safe Place And How Quick Is It To Get Back To Boat At The End Of The Day. Are Taxis Plentiful?

Thanks,

That Does Not Sound To Bad To Me. Isn't The Food And Drinks For The Day Included? Alcoholic Drinks?

Also, We Are First Time Cruisers And I Am Nervous About Going Off On Our Own and not through Carnival. Is This A Safe Place And How Quick Is It To Get Back To Boat At The End Of The Day. Are Taxis Plentiful?

One word for you... Go. Just go. Taxi's are plentiful. EXTREMELY safe and secure. No need to worry about missing the ship... you can see it form the resort! It's less than a mile away, and taxis are ALWAYS at the resort itself to take you back. Even though the price has gone up, I would go again in a heartbeat.

We went to SSB back in Aug and have officially determined it to be our FAVORITE place in all of the Carib... east or west. We, too, are concerned about security in the ports we go to, and we had read a bunch of rough stuff about Jamaica before we went. SSB puts those concerns to the bed.

When you are there, make sure to have a Mai Tai... they are POTENT!

Joe

We did this last summer and it was a lot of fun. You can arrange for the taxi driver that brought you to the resort to come back and pick you up at a certain time. That way you already sort of know that person and that he is safe as you got the taxi from inside the cruise port. Have fun it's well worth the money and don't leave until you have tried the jerk chicken!!

Rowan, that was me and yes I did receive an email stating it was $45 per person, since then I emailed them again and then got one stating that since I had contacted them in advance, they'd honor the $40 per person rate. Here is a transcript of the discussion. Now my advice to everyone is to get an email from them stating the rate and then printing it out and taking it with them the day they arrive.

ME: My husband and I will be cruising to Jamaica aboard a cruise ship the week of 11/27/05. I was wondering what the cost per person is to obtain access to your facilities. (10/17)

Reply: Thanks for your interest in visiting Sunset Beach Resort on a day pass. The cost is currently US$ 45.00 per person. Regards (10/19)

ME: Ok, I’ve read online on message boards that the cost has gone up from $20 to $30 to $40 in the last month and you are telling me it’s now $45? What are the chances that it will increase even more by the time we cruise the week of 11/27?Thanks, Kaylee (10/19)

Reply: The package is being looked at again. Iwill advise as soon as I am aware of the change. Marion James-Campbell (10/20)

ME: Thank you for the response. However, we could justify spending $40 per person, but anything above that is out of our price range simply because we have all ready booked our other excursions for our other arrival ports. If the price happens to decrease, or you decide to charge a separate rate for the water park (which my husband and I don’t care to even use) please notify me immediately.Thanks, Kaylee (10/21)

Reply: Kaylee. Since you are makint the request in advance we willdo it for US$ 40.00 per person not inclusive of transfers. Thank You (10/21)

Rowan, yea we're going if it's $40. My husband and I can definitely eat and drink $40 a piece while we are there! :lol: I also will use the waterpark if that's part of my admission. I'm one of those that if I pay for something, I will make use of it! I think I read somewhere that the Cozumel pier is scheduled to be open by 11/20. But, who knows if our excursion to Tulum will still go on. I'd hate to not go to Sunset Beach and then have the Tulum thing fall through.

I just printed my email from Donna at Sunset Beach so we can hopefully "lock in" the $40/$20 pp rate. I'm not holding out much hope for Cozumel - even if we're able to tender in, I just don't know that in 30 days they'll have any beaches up and running, etc. We may end up staying on the ship if we do go to Cozumel.

Thanks,

That Does Not Sound To Bad To Me. Isn't The Food And Drinks For The Day Included? Alcoholic Drinks?

Also, We Are First Time Cruisers And I Am Nervous About Going Off On Our Own and not through Carnival. Is This A Safe Place And How Quick Is It To Get Back To Boat At The End Of The Day. Are Taxis Plentiful?

I was one of the cruisers that decided to try a day at Sunset Beach Resort last week (while on a cruise) despite their greedy maneuver of recently doubling their rate over such a short span of time. After my experience there, I really felt obligued to help people to understand that -quite suddenly- despite all the years of good reviews, the sun needs to go down on Sunset beach. It is simply no longer good value; let me explain:

Cruisers have traditionally liked to visit Sunset Beach Resort because Freeport/Montego Bay is such an ugly port of call- full of pushy vendors and corrupt guards. They like the idea of being at a secured beach where they won't be solicited ad nausea (as is the way of so many Jamaican vendors, sadly) and where they can lay in the sun and eat and drink for a good price. The $20.00 price was "THE" big reason SBR brought in cruise day visitors. The drinks are ok, but the food is not great... unless you are only paying 20.00!

Visitors gave good reviews because they were so impressed- and rightly so- at being able to eat, drink and lay on beach undisturbed (rather than experience the relentless pushiness of Jamaican vendors). The fact that visitors to SBR -in previous posts- have noted that the place is a bit old, does not have best swimming or snorkling on beach etc etc they have tended to want to still give good reviews because while amenties and food may not have been A+, the SBR people were all-inclusively generous with what they had to offer.

The people at SBR doubled their rates in a short span out of greed but also out of ignornance for what it is about their site that appeals to cruisers who visit for the day. Not many cruisers are apt to find water slides worthy of shelling out twice the rate when they just want undisturbed sand, ocean access and hearty food (even if not the greatest quality and limited variety). Sure the waterpark is cute, but it does not double the enjoyment of most cruisers who visit- and remember, waterslides are a dime a dozen throughout the states, even the cruise ships have them!

All the reviews of last years were correct. Sunset Beach was good value for $20 but this situation has suddenly changed! Sunset Beach is not- AT ALL- good value for the recently doubled price of $40.00 (as there is no doubled value to the day experience being offered). Even my cab driver to SBR ( wed oct 26th) laughed about SBR suddenly upping the price and realizing that day cruisers were still coming- BUT HOPEFULLY NOT FOR MUCH LONGER ONCE MORE PEOPLE RETURN AND NOTE THAT IT WASN"T SO GOOD OF A VALUE FOR $40. If I had paid $20, I would ..right now.. be saying it's worth a reply despite the questional aspects.

By the way, it is only a matter of time before SBR 'flubs it' and misplaces someone's sign and sail card. Trust me, it is very slap dash the way they take these cards and keep them at the gate... largely, I'm convinced, to keep control of the 'vistors exit' in the hands of the cabbies. We actually had to "push" to get our card back... the first person to meet us as we stepped out of the front lobby told us to wait until some more cruisers came out, and then he's get our card for us(once he had a full van)- "NO THANKS"! We actually had to forcefully tell him that we were done and wanted to go get our card back WITHOUT his "help"...NOW.

Yes, it's all charming, fun, and peaceful -IF not greatest quality- for $20, but the glaring problems, and lack of value, are so much clearer now that a day cruiser has to shell out $40. For those thinking of checking out Sunset Beach Resort despite the doubled price, do yourself a favour, and take a pass. For 40 or 50 dollars there are other excursions to be had that are comparable- even in Jamaica where giving top tour value is not always a priority.

Archived