Sailing tomorrow on Epic...need answers!

Bethprgirl

I'm currently in Barcelona sailing tomorrow July 10 on epic and I have a few questions that I would appreciate answers to from my more knowledge able and well traveled cruise critic colleagues

1- I was told from a fellow cruiser that in Europe you can bring bottles of wine onboard both at sailing and from each port. Is this correct?

2- do they provide lunch on the day of sail?

3-any additional advise from those that have just done the same med itinerary sailing would be appreciated. Including tips on shore excursions.

Thank you!

Beth

1- I was told from a fellow cruiser that in Europe you can bring bottles of wine onboard both at sailing and from each port. Is this correct?... No, only at embarkation, paying the corkage fee. Tip...in Barcelona, your carry on luggage etc. is scanned by the port authorities in the cruise terminal. There is a wine/liquor store after that point, and many have reported there is no further scanning before boarding.....

2- do they provide lunch on the day of sail? Yes!

3-any additional advise from those that have just done the same med itinerary sailing would be appreciated. Including tips on shore excursions.....check the port threads on CC.

Edited by hamrag

Capri is a beautiful trip from Naples, and the ferries etc. are right where you dock, you have plenty of time to do this with a 7pm sailaway.

Cannes you will tender right into town, follow your nose from there and definitely see the old town area which is up the hill to the left as you sail towards shore.

Rome, easy to DIY and incredibly cheap to use the train. Get the port shuttle to the gate and walk right along the shore for about 10 minutes, the train station is across the road....simply follow the others doing the same thing....just make sure you get a train back that is early enough to give you a plan b and c....never had a problem, but the ship wont wait for you!

Marseille, shuttle into town and wander...the marina area is very nice, rest of town is fine.

Livorno, best to decide on a ship tour unless you are adventurous and want to go to Pisa or Florence by rail....it is doable if you know how, ask your fellow cruisers!

Anything else, just ask.

Edited by hamrag

The last time, February on the Epic, they had a second X-ray machine from ships security on the "promenade deck" before you could go inside. I was quite surprised about that, as it had never happened before.

OK, seems their paranoia with smugglers has reached new levels particularly with the water/soda ban!

if you buy wine in one of the ports there will be a desk on re entering the ship where they will take the wine and you collect it on last night of the cruise

of course if there is no desk/xray machine there.......

Lunch is available on first day in the buffet where the crew will try to guide you ie it will be very busy

However at least one of the main dining rooms will be open where you can have a relaxing waiter served meal

O Sheehans will also be open for pub/comfort food

Shore excursions-if you weren't sailing imminently I would have advised you to check out your roll call to see what tour sharing options are going on

However still check out the ports of call forum for advice on what to do in each place and which ones you could easily DIY

Getting the train from Livorno is really easy. You can get a taxi from the cruise terminal to the station. Last time we were there it was €15, but it could have gone up. You'll need to check train times etc to ensure you allow enough time. In pisa, it's about a 20-30 minutes walk from the station to miracle square. In Florence, it's a lot closer. Florence is a really nice city to just walk round. Then, when back at Livorno, just get another taxi back from the station. Hope that helps.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

The last time, February on the Epic, they had a second X-ray machine from ships security on the "promenade deck" before you could go inside. I was quite surprised about that, as it had never happened before.

Oh wow. Thanks for that information. We have sailed out of Barcelona twice on two different cruise lines and there was never any other scanning going on after you passed security in the terminal. I remember being surprised at all the opportunities to purchase soda and liquor before you boarded the ship.

So NCL is really REALLY serious about blocking you from bring on any beverages.

Getting the train from Livorno is really easy. You can get a taxi from the cruise terminal to the station. Last time we were there it was €15, but it could have gone up. You'll need to check train times etc to ensure you allow enough time. In pisa, it's about a 20-30 minutes walk from the station to miracle square. In Florence, it's a lot closer. Florence is a really nice city to just walk round. Then, when back at Livorno, just get another taxi back from the station. Hope that helps.

I agree, and we taxied back to the ship from the station...lots of taxis. Our experience at the cruise terminal is the taxi drivers want to provide a tour, and are reluctant to taxi you to the train station. That may have changed, or you were fortunate.

I was there 2 years ago, so things could have changed since then. Just out of curiosity, how did you get to the station from the ship then?

There is a return shuttle to the station from the ship. It is really easy. IF you want to go to Florence you need to be setting out really early. Pisa you can leave it until mid morning although you might have to wait for the shuttle to leave.

There is also a shuttle that goes directly to Pisa and picks you up 2 hours later. That seems a good idea if you just want to view the Tower and the Duomo.

To answer the OP, there are a number of recent reviews from people who have been on the Epic this year - just scroll down the NCL list. I am sure that will be helpful.

Have a lovely cruise, I wish I were there again.:(

I was there 2 years ago, so things could have changed since then. Just out of curiosity, how did you get to the station from the ship then?

We got the ship (port) shuttle into Livorno, bought a bus ticket from the stationery kiosk to get to the rail station...fine if you know where and how etc.

We purchased 2 bottles of wine for on board consumption at nearly every port and paid the $15 per bottle corkage fee. Yes, there's lunch on board but why hurry when you can have an awesome lunch in Barcelona? That's what we did. We were among the last groups to board with no lines or waiting at 3 pm. Download Rick Steves Mediterranean ports audiobook. That will cover almost everything you need to know to explore the ports. His walking tour recommendations are excellent: easy to follow and avoid the crowds.

In fairness guys, there has been horrific terrorist attacks in Europe so I'm not sure the extra security is just to monitor people bringing alcohol on board. I can tell you that there was indeed an additional X-ray machine just before you get on the Epic. I was there a week ago.

We're on the Epic next week and were hoping to take wine on and paying corkage. There seems to be some disagreement regarding bringing bottles if wine from shore.

We'll probably get through 10 bottles of wine over the course of the week and were hoping we wouldn't have to turn up with 10 bottles at embarkation in Barcelona. We'd prefer to buy one or two bottles at each shore of the trip.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Regarding buying bottles of wine from the duty free shop and taking the onboard without being scanned, nothing has changed.

It has always been the case that they sometimes do have scans on boarding. I have sailed out of Barcelona 6 times in the past 4 years and it has been about 50:50 whether they scan as you board. They did have scans there back in 2013.

The conclusion I have previously reached is that it depend a bit on which entrance you take. You can board either foreword or aft and, from memory, you are less likely to get scanned if you board aft.

It is certainly nothing to do with any recent changes.