ms Koningsdam July 10 port change!

Ine

ms Koningsdam on July 10 will sail this time NOT to/from Amsterdam but instead to/from ROTTERDAM!!!

This due expected high winds which makes sailing through the lock in IJmuien on its way to Amsterdam too risky.

I am sure HAL will arrange transportation, but in case you sail or arrive tomorrow check details with HAL.

This according a posting by CD Micheal Langley on FB.

Edited by Ine

ms Koningsdam on July 10 will sail this time NOT to/from Amsterdam but instead to/from ROTTERDAM!!!

This due expected high winds which makes sailing through the lock in IJmuien on its way to Amsterdam too risky.

I am sure HAL will arrange transportation, but in case you sail or arrive tomorrow check details with HAL.

This according a posting by CD Micheal Langley on FB.

Thank you Ine, i got a email this morning at 01.06 AM. Had not booked my transport gladly. This must be logistical nightmare for HAL and passengers.

Not happy about but what can you do. Hope that all will go smootly.

We are one of those passengers. We were on the Carnival Vista out of Barcelona and got the email when we disembarked. We're in Amsterdam now and will be on the train to Rotterdam tomorrow. A change in plans but nothing we can't manage.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Wind issues through the locks are a serious concern. When I was on the Eurodam sailing from Amsterdam, a tug was fastened to the ship's bow to help maintain her position in the lock due to the wind. May have been one attached to the stern as well, I am not sure.

Edited by rkacruiser

What happens if we are not reachable by e-mail or phone and are unable to get the port change notification? If we show up at the Amsterdam port will HAL be able to transport us to the correct port in time to make the ship departure.This is not for this sailing, but we are on the July 17th out of Amsterdam, and now I am nervous if there are any changes we will not know about it till we get to port? Does any one know what happens in this situation?

What happens if we are not reachable by e-mail or phone and are unable to get the port change notification? If we show up at the Amsterdam port will HAL be able to transport us to the correct port in time to make the ship departure.This is not for this sailing, but we are on the July 17th out of Amsterdam, and now I am nervous if there are any changes we will not know about it till we get to port? Does any one know what happens in this situation?

I cannot answer your question. This would be a good reason to contact Guest Relations in Seattle. Somewhere in your Express Documents, if you downloaded them, there may be a phone number for you to call, as well.

When this sort of thing happens with our 28 years of cruising with HAL have seen where people who show up at the terminal and the ship had docked somewhere else HAL will have made arrangements to transfer everyone. In this case from Amsterdam to Rotterdam. Maybe about a hour.

My mom & I are also on the 7/17 sailing. We are leaving for Amsterdam on Friday arriving Saturday morning. Only doing one night before sailing cause we will be with very close Dutch friends of ours after the cruise for 12 days.

70 cruises on HAL at the age of 51

1,038 days at sea on 14 different DAM SHIPS

700 day Platinum Medallion holder

5 Maiden Voyages (Ryndam,Veendam,Volendam, Zaandam & Amsterdam)

September 24, 2004 Rotterdam Trans Atlantic Hurricane Karl survivor

7/17/16 Voyage of the Midnight Sun - Koningsdam

12/23/16 Christmas & New Years - Koningsdam

If Holland America doesn't go there, WE DON'T GO!

Edited by rjbean4

Yup. No need to worry as when these things happen HAL will take good care of everyone effected. I know of at least one occasion a ship sailing from here at Tampa wasn't able to come back in due to weather as the Port of Tampa was closed as well as the shipping channel. The ship docked over on the east coast of FL. People scheduled to sail still went to the terminal for embarkation but were bussed over to the east coast and those that were on board were bussed back.

We skyped with our Dutch friends yesterday and they said where they are closer to Rotterdam their weather was not really a issue but there were other parts of the Netherlands experiencing some rough weather yesterday.

We have sailed from Amsterdam before as next Sunday will be our 3rd. Sounds like the weather conditions were not going to allow for a safe transit of the lock at Ijmuiden and the North Sea Canal to Amsterdam. The lock at Ijmuiden raises or lowers the ships from the North Sea Canal to the North Sea depending on the tide. There are different sized locks there dependent of the size of the ship. The lock is same idea as the Panama Canal but there are no locomatives/mules to hold the ships in position while in the lock. Instead they tie up.

Yeah see ya on board. Mom & I always go to the crows nest for drinks for a hour or so before going to dinner so around 7pm for dinner at 8. There will probably be some nights we go earlier so we can be out more to watch our scenic cruising comming back out through some of the fjords.

We did this itinerary back in 97 on the Maasdam and have wanted to do it again. This time the cruise is 2 days longer and includes 2 ports we have not been to.

R. J.

70 cruises on HAL at the age of 51

1,038 days at sea on 14 different DAM SHIPS

700 day Platinum Medallion holder

5 Maiden Voyages (Ryndam,Veendam,Volendam, Zaandam & Amsterdam)

September 24, 2004 Rotterdam Trans Atlantic Hurricane Karl survivor

7/17/16 Voyage of the Midnight Sun - Koningsdam

12/23/16 Christmas & New Years - Koningsdam

If Holland America doesn't go there, WE DON'T GO!

Edited by rjbean4

iPhone Map closeup shows a large ship westbound in one lock and smaller one eastbound just entering the other. I returned a month ago from terrific Rhine/Main/Danube river cruise with over 60 very narrow locks the tallest liftied us 80+ ft. Quite an exprience in a "small ship." Looking forward to KDam from Amsterdam in August.