what is the actual answer...

If the steward asked me that, I would reply with..... Do you want half your tip or the full amount of the daily tip? Service once a day is half tip and twice a day is full tip. That is after all what all the daily service charges, or daily tipping charges is based on.

If the steward asked me that, I would reply with..... Do you want half your tip or the full amount of the daily tip? Service once a day is half tip and twice a day is full tip. That is after all what all the daily service charges, or daily tipping charges is based on.

I agree with your reply. Also, the steward would not receive any extra tip from us.

Agreed. However rookie cruisers would not know any different.

I agree with you since most hotels only offer once a day service. I was not thinking of the new cruiser. Thank you for bringing that to my attention. :D It does seem that the cruise lines are marketing to the new cruisers.

As a seasoned cruiser I would not agree to half the service for the same price. :cool:

about once vs twice per day cabin service.

I've been hearing it's only once and you are asked whether you prefer morning or afternoon for quite some time. We were on the Splendor and Breeze in February and were not asked this and had twice daily service.

I am now seeing quite a few reviews from the Splendor which we will be boarding again in December and many are saying it's once a day only. There must be information from Carnival on whether this is a policy change or not but I can't find it.

I sailed the Splendor 6/12 and had been wondering what my experience with this would be like prior to my cruise after the varied comments I had read here.

Here is my experience on the Splendor...

I did not have a card in my cabin when I arrived. We did go to the cabin immediately after boarding as we are Platinum and wanted to drop off stuff and change into bathing suits.

I am not sure if the card would have arrived later or not. We did have all other "stuff" (fun times, drink tickets, gift from friend, flyers etc) laid out for us but no card.

We did see the cabin steward and asked him for some extra pillows, towels and 2x per day cabin service. He did not make any comment about selecting one time per day and our cabin was serviced 2x daily for the whole cruise.

Edited by LizaMM

It is DEFINETLY a thing that SOME room stewards are pushing (especially it seems in less experienced cruisers), at least in the Splendor... 3 weeks ago, 2 cabins were booked, both deck 2 OV, our friends, platinum cruisers, were not asked 1x or 2 X service, just automatically did it twice... However, the other cabin, red cards, same floor but different steward, were told they HAD to choose, now policy because they (the stewards) were given more cabins. Of course after hearing this, they reported it to GS who apologized and instructed the CS to clean 2x a day... However, it seems to be a sticking point on the Splendor and some stewards seem to be exploiting inexperienced cruisers. I have no doubt that their workload has increased, but the guests should not have their services cut IMO...

We were on the Breeze in June and I never saw the card, was never asked and never commented. Our steward, Roy , was absolutely perfect in servicing our connecting rooms twice a day. He kept both our coolers full of ice daily and as usual, we tipped him very well at the end of the week, in addition to the prepaid grats.

If given a choice, I would opt for evening service as we spend a lot of time in the room early. It is super nice, though, to come back from afternoon activities to a nice clean room but I can adjust if need be, when we travel outside of cruising, we don't even get our room serviced, we just ask for fresh towels and exchange the old ones. We rough it for the times we are there.

We have always had very good room attendants too.

Thank you.... I dont get why anyone would pay the same price for half the service and think its ok.

Because some people only need the room serviced once a day. I never received a card on my last few cruises - Breeze and Glory - but, I told the steward that I only needed the room serviced in the evening.

Out of the 3 cruises where I asked for only once a day cleaning, only one of the stewards didn't have to be reminded daily. The other 2 would still service in the morning unless I saw them and said (again) "I don't need for you to do anything in the morning for the rest of the cruise." If I didn't see them the next morning, there they were cleaning the room in the morning.

So, either I had really great stewards or those who think they are "pushing" the one day service may not be correct.

Because some people only need the room serviced once a day. I never received a card on my last few cruises - Breeze and Glory - but, I told the steward that I only needed the room serviced in the evening.

Out of the 3 cruises where I asked for only once a day cleaning, only one of the stewards didn't have to be reminded daily. The other 2 would still service in the morning unless I saw them and said (again) "I don't need for you to do anything in the morning for the rest of the cruise." If I didn't see them the next morning, there they were cleaning the room in the morning.

So, either I had really great stewards or those who think they are "pushing" the one day service may not be correct.

Apparently this is only a trial and not fleetwide so perhaps that is why you have not run into this yet.

If the cruise line can get people to agree to this they cut down stewards and replace them with more photographers.:)

Yep, that's all it takes. Find your steward, communicate your wishes and your Steward will go above and beyond to make your experience awesome.

That's my issue with this whole thing. Used to be twice a day was standard - now it's above and beyond - meaning an extra, extra tip is warranted.

That's my issue with this whole thing. Used to be twice a day was standard - now it's above and beyond - meaning an extra, extra tip is warranted.

No extra tip. Twice a day is still standard, however they are offering the option to only have once a day if that is what you prefer.

Why would you tip extra to have the same service as always? There is no above and beyond to get twice a day service.

No extra tip. Twice a day is still standard, however they are offering the option to only have once a day if that is what you prefer.

Why would you tip extra to have the same service as always? There is no above and beyond to get twice a day service.

Ice buckets always used to be full in the room, now you have to ask. When we ask for ice, we realize we are now asking for something out of the ordinary and when we do that we usually tip extra.

The cryptic and confusing way this was rolled out makes it almost certain that once a day service will become the norm.

Just off the Dream- we were asked which we preferred, and I asked if we could have both. He said no problem. He was great all week- very polite and professional. We did tip him extra on the last night, but only because my son broke a glass and we needed him to vacuum the floor, and he cleaned the mess for us. That gave us an opportunity to talk with him and learn about him and his family.

Ice buckets always used to be full in the room, now you have to ask. When we ask for ice, we realize we are now asking for something out of the ordinary and when we do that we usually tip extra.

The cryptic and confusing way this was rolled out makes it almost certain that once a day service will become the norm.

I read from JH that they stopped automatically doing ice in the room because many weren't using. So, I don't really think of asking for ice as above and beyond.

I agree that they way it was rolled out and the way some stewards were interpreting the card was a total fiasco! Until it is the real norm for once a day, I will continue to tip regular for the regular twice a day. Of course, if they cut to once a day, then they should expect tips to be cut in half too. Just don't see that happening.

This is incorrect. Every cabin has the option whether the steward wants to tell you or not. If he argues (because lets face it that's half the work) I'm going to remove my room tips. Not even go to the front desk for fear of what might be done when we are out and the room is cleaned the ONE time.

This is in fact correct. This is what was offered to our family by the stewards. What we selected was morning and night for the deck 9 cabins and just night for the deck 2 cabins. We honestly didn't care. We didn't ask for 2x s day service for the deck 2 cabin because it was 4 kids crammed in the room.

If we cared we would have asked for 2x a day even though only once was offered. I shared to highlight the inconsistencies even on the SAME ship on the SAME sailing.

Take it then if all cruise lines anounce that they will only be once a day room service going forward. You will stop cruising.

Have no idea how you could have come to this conclusion based on my post. You probably read it as attentively as you proof read your post for mistakes before you pressed the "Submit Reply" button.

From all the responses here and a couple of other threads I've read through I've reached the conclusion the issue seems to be on specific ships - Splendor for instance and that some stewards do not understand the policy. Some guests have argued with the stewards who refused to do twice a day. I think the rest of the confusion may come from the cards themselves leading folks to believe they can only have service once per day.

I find it odd that stewards are getting it wrong. Seriously?? You institute a new policy that affects customer service and you don't ensure your staff understand the policy 100% clearly?? Management should really be correcting this issue asap.

This is in fact correct. This is what was offered to our family by the stewards. What we selected was morning and night for the deck 9 cabins and just night for the deck 2 cabins. We honestly didn't care. We didn't ask for 2x s day service for the deck 2 cabin because it was 4 kids crammed in the room.

If we cared we would have asked for 2x a day even though only once was offered. I shared to highlight the inconsistencies even on the SAME ship on the SAME sailing.

I'm confused. Which was it? Were you only offered once a day service for the cabin on deck 2 or did you only want once a day service for that cabin? Previously you said "We are just 2 weeks off the Splendor we had both a suite and a balcony on the 9th deck and a porthole cabin on deck 2. The deck 9 steward offered either or both the deck 2 cabin only offered 1x a day." And yet above you state that you selected once a day for the deck 2 cabin.

So which is it?

We just got off the dream on 7/10, my experience was a little different. When we met the steward he introduced himself and handed us a business card with his picture and phone number on it (we were NOT given any type of a card to fill out for morning or night service). Our steward advised that he offered our choice of a afternoon refresh from 3pm-6pm or evening turn down service from 6pm-9pm, and asked which we preferred, I asked if we could get both, I was advised we had to choose one or the other, we opted for evening turn down.