SCENIC RUBY Danube

GRA

We are experienced world travelers, regular Ocean cruisers and First-Time River Cruisers. We choose Scenic because of the itinerary and their reputation (both online and from friends who have tried) for great all-inclusive service and food. We place service and food high on our list of priorities.

We are booked on the Scenic Ruby in early October in a Royal Panorama Suite.

Does anyone have any relevant info for us or anything we need to know? There are very limited reviews of this ship (we know it's one of the older in their fleet) and many of the reviews of Scenic are all over the place. Some are raves and others hated it. It's difficult to decide if those who hated it just don't like river cruising and it's unique challenges/differences, or does Scenic not know what to expect from American consumers?

Anything anyone can add, particularly when it comes to the mixed reviews on the service and food, would be appreciated.

We just returned from our first ever river cruise after numerous ocean cruises and chose Scenic. We were very pleased with our experience and would not hesitate to book with them again. I was also concerned about the negative reviews of the ship we were on, the Opal, but several were from last September/October when the Danube River levels were very low, resulting in lots of busing around rather than much sailing. I can understand the disappointment, but you will definitely see that river levels play a great role in the cruise. Our cruise on the Rhine had high levels, flood stage in some areas and we felt Scenic handled it quite well, keeping us informed and giving options.

Food was very good, of course some better than others. Really enjoyed the breakfast and lunch buffets, you can also order off a menu. Dinner had several different daily choices and five or six always available entrees. Drinks were good, service throughout the ship was great. The tours and tour guides were very good, particularly the evening concert and the sundowner event. I did not have a Royal Panorama Suite so can't comment, other than to say lucky you!

You should post this on the Scenic roll call too, perhaps you will get more input!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

We are experienced world travelers, regular Ocean cruisers and First-Time River Cruisers. We choose Scenic because of the itinerary and their reputation (both online and from friends who have tried) for great all-inclusive service and food. We place service and food high on our list of priorities.

We are booked on the Scenic Ruby in early October in a Royal Panorama Suite.

Does anyone have any relevant info for us or anything we need to know? There are very limited reviews of this ship (we know it's one of the older in their fleet) and many of the reviews of Scenic are all over the place. Some are raves and others hated it. It's difficult to decide if those who hated it just don't like river cruising and it's unique challenges/differences, or does Scenic not know what to expect from American consumers?

Anything anyone can add, particularly when it comes to the mixed reviews on the service and food, would be appreciated.

Howdy There GRA,

Lisa and Gary LoneStarCruisnCouple here,

If I had to say anything at all I would say put your worries behind you and enjoy your trip as you have done extremely well not only in choosing Scenic but that of also a Royal Panorama Suite. The view that one gets is simply just Awesome. With having that wrap Window on not only on the back but also the side of the ship. I can't say as to The Ruby as Lisa and I were on The Jasper which is one of the newer ships and we had a huge cabin 475 Sq. Ft. of nothing but Pure Luxury. Just to give you an idea we had a Cocktail Party in our cabin with 14 folks not including the Butler and the three tables that were set up with Wines and Liquor and Set Ups and Cheeses and Fruits and we still had lots of room. For us the thing that was very nice was that we had both a Full Size Tub as well as a Shower and for me was extra nice as the beds had remotes on them that you could raise and lower both your head and or feet..

At the time of our cruise which was last September I would say that there was maybe a slight problem with the food as there was at least for me room for improvement which from what I gather has been addressed.

We are now booked for two more cruises with Scenic one is another European River cruise, Spectacular South Of France ( Wine Country ) with Paris and Monte Carlo and then on The Currently under construction Eclipse for October of 2018 for Cuba in Depth.

We were booked into another Royal Panorama Suite on The Sapphire until Scenic called and said would we like to try that of a new cabin category that is being added to three of there ships for next year and that is the introduction of The Royal Owners suite. So we said we would give it a try and make the comparisons and see which and why. I am sending a link along as this was done by Ralph Grizzle on The Jasper and shows the various different cabins and the Panorama Suite was our cabin that is pictured.

http://www.rivercruiseadvisor.com/2015/04/scenic-tours-jasper-day-3-sailing-the-danube/

Oh if you should get a chance go onto the website for Scenic, scenicusa.com and at the top where it says brochures open and scroll down to where it says European River Cruises 2017 and open the online version. Go to page I think 29 and the photo at the top is just our Living Room in our cabin for next year.. They are adding a Vitality Pool and putting in an area called Culinary where they shall be giving French Cooking Classes and the addition of two of these new cabins. The Diamond,Emerald and The Sapphire are the three ships that are getting a face lift so to speak.

Hoping this shall be of some help and oh being in the back is so very nice as the butler will bring you coffee and orange juice and set up breakfast for you if so asked for which really was nice.

Wishing you Smooth Sailings and a Great and Wonderful Time!!

Yes The River Cruise in itself is Wonderful as it is more relaxed and more to see and is very intimate as giving you a chance to talk to your fellow passengers and if like us we had 100 Aussies a40 Canadians and the rest was a mix but those folks from Down Under they simply have a knack for having a Great and Wonderful time.

So I say just enjoy as the cruise you shall see is stunning but it is the Folks that you meet and the Friendships that are formed as Those Ships Shall Sail Forever.

Lisa and Gary

LoneStarCruisinCouple

Loungin" Laughin" and enjoying Those Tasty Libations!!