Islands only

PurpleCow

Oh, just one of the benefits of getting older, beachchick. As I mentioned upthread, DH is a Pearl Harbor survivor. He was only 20 when the Japanese rained those bombs down on his barracks, so you do the math. Helps to make up for the creaky joints, sagging jowls and reduced income.Thank you! Suebee is VERY helpful.What coupon book is this? Something from the rental car company? We generally use AAA for car rentals. Should we book privately in order to take advantage of discounts?

Yes, my mother says the same thing about having time to do what she wants to now, but as has been pointed out to me time and again, creaky joints, crow's feet, and gray hair beat "the alternative."

I did remember seeing that your DH was at Pearl Harbor. What I should have also said earlier was to please tell him thank you for serving and honoring our country, thank God he survived, and how moved DH and I were when we went to the Arizona memorial and the Missouri.

I'm glad you found Suebee's thread helpful. We've gotten so much good advice from the locals on this board. They are very generous in helping us haoles.

The entertainment book I mentioned is the one bug_dan gave you the link for. It's well worth it, especially if you will be on Oahu.

bug_dan: You most certainly did have more serious security issues at the airport. At least they spelled our names correctly. What a hassle! I'm glad you had a good time anyway (but really, it's Hawaii, how can you not? :D ).

beachchick

I went to the link for the Big Book, beachchick. They sell those here in Orlando, too. Do I put in an Oahu zip code or my own? I'm assuming that those books are location specific.

We're in the midst of planning our visit to the Netherlands in the Spring, but I've set up a Hawaii folder in my favorites so we can begin planning for that when we get home. We have a Panama Canal cruise booked for January, 2007 and, if we can afford it, I'd like to slip Hawaii in somewhere between the two. If not, then shortly after.

PurpleCow,

Ditto on the thanks to your husband for his service to our country. We visited Hawaii in 2003 and 2004 and got to see a parade on the Friday after Thanksgiving. Both times they had survivors of Pearl Harbor in the parade, definitely one of those "chicken skin" moments. Last year they also included purple heart recipients from the Iraq war.

DH thanks you!.. I thought you might get a kick out of this:

Bill_armypals01.gif

DH is third from the left. Wasn't he a cutie? I didn't meet him until 40 years later . . . still a cutie. He was in Scofield Barracks, the scene of From Here to Eternity. Our soldiers still look like kids, don't they?

PurpleCow: The books are specific to location (by state I think). You need to either put in a Hawaii zip code or, if there's a place, search for "Hawaii" and it should pop up with the right one. I'm sorry I can't be more help here. We bought ours right after the 2005 ones went on clearance and did it directly through a link that Sweet Emi or Suebee (sorry ladies can't recall who now) posted. You could do an advanced search on this forum for "entertainment book" and it might get you to that thread. That one took me directly to the Hawaii one.

(bug_dan: I agree. Even just standing on the Arizona memorial was a chicken skin moment.)

beachchick

Archived