Zika Virus - Precautions??

RJake1

Eastern carribean on Fantasy later this summer. What are cruisers and/or DCL suggesting as far as protection against the Zika virus?

Any recent cruisers to Tortola, etc. that can offer insight into level of concern on the islands?

Thanks.

I haven't seen anything from DCL.

My personal precaution is to not cruise to involved areas. I've never seen insects of any sort as a problem at sea. If I were going to a Caribbean island, I'd be taking and using insect repellent for the time near and on land.

Yes, I do realize that Zika is appearing in many states.

To be honest, DCL will probably not do anything themselves other than advise passengers to take precautions (and maybe spray around Castaway. There's not much they can do that would not leave them open to liability.

If a port reaches pandemic proportions I could see them skipping that port.

To be honest, DCL will probably not do anything themselves other than advise passengers to take precautions (and maybe spray around Castaway. There's not much they can do that would not leave them open to liability.

If a port reaches pandemic proportions I could see them skipping that port.

Yes. Exactly as I said above, and the OP could see DCL's advice on the DCL website, with a search of just the word Zika of they went there.

Health and Safety – Frequently Asked Questions

Q.

Are Guests who are pregnant permitted to sail?

A.

Women who have entered their 24th week of pregnancy as of their embarkation date or who will enter their 24th week of pregnancy during the cruise will be refused passage due to safety concerns.

Neither a doctor’s medical statement nor a waiver of liability will be accepted. In addition, Disney Cruise Line cannot be held responsible or liable for any complications relating to pregnancy at any stage.

The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a travel alert for travelers to specific countries in the Caribbean and Latin America due to the Zika virus, a mosquito related illness. While the most common symptoms are usually mild and include fever, rash, joint pain and pink eye, pregnant women should pay special attention to the travel alert and take necessary precaution to avoid mosquito bites. Additional information can be found under the Travelers Health section of the CDC website at http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices.

Spraying the beach areas of CC would do little to stop mosquitos since around 80%+ of the island is a conservation area, and would not be allowed, nor do little to stop them coming from the untouched environments?

ex techie

For the type of mosquitos that transmit zika they could treat the umbrellas, cabanas, food area to reduce the congregation in those areas.

Wouldn't solve the problem, but might mitigate risk for those who don't take their own precaution.

There are sprays that can be used in a conservation adjacent area.

On the trails, etc, you would be on your own to protect.

Spraying the beach areas of CC would do little to stop mosquitos since around 80%+ of the island is a conservation area, and would not be allowed, nor do little to stop them coming from the untouched environments?

ex techie

For the type of mosquitos that transmit zika they could treat the umbrellas, cabanas, food area to reduce the congregation in those areas.

Wouldn't solve the problem, but might mitigate risk for those who don't take their own precaution.

There are sprays that can be used in a conservation adjacent area.

On the trails, etc, you would be on your own to protect.

They could, but the Bahamas does not currently have Zika and Castaway Cay is in the Bahamas!

CDC advisory with list and map of affected countries:

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/page/zika-travel-information

CDC information for Bahamas:

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/none/the-bahamas

ex techie

Wow, I'm surprised that the Bahamas is not on the advisory list as most surrounding areas are....but you are right. The CDC currently does not list the Bahamas as a Zika area. That could change tomorrow or next week, but good to know for now.

Yep!

Business as usual in the Bahamas, and I'm sure if that changes, and DCL will be monitoring this closely for Castaway Cay, DCL will take whatever steps necessary to inform their Guests of the risk.

I do not believe it is their duty to provide insecticide protection though.

That could damage the whole ecology of the island.

Clear, very large, possibly mosquito images, idiot/sue proof signs on the island as you step off the ship will probably be introduced at some point.

ex techie

There are some eco friendly repellents. Not as effective as the main chemicals but a reasonable compromise and will have some effect.

After the Alligator fiasco, I expect them to be super sensitive both in signage and any possible risk mitigation.

Yep!

Business as usual in the Bahamas, and I'm sure if that changes, and DCL will be monitoring this closely for Castaway Cay, DCL will take whatever steps necessary to inform their Guests of the risk.

I do not believe it is their duty to provide insecticide protection though.

That could damage the whole ecology of the island.

Clear, very large, possibly mosquito images, idiot/sue proof signs on the island as you step off the ship will probably be introduced at some point.

ex techie