Southampton Overnight

Seems like only option for us - other than flying into London - is Flybe. We have never heard of this airline. What kind of planes are likely to be flown from Dublin to Southampton (if you know): props? commuter single side seating jets? Etc.

I think Flybe's fleet has been streamlined, they now fly just Embraer E-195 jets and Bombardier Dash 8 Q400 turbo-prop. Both are 2 + 2 seating.

Daytime I actually prefer the Bombardiers - they're high-wing and fly at much lower altitude, which makes for a scenic flight under the UK's often-clouded skies. Just a little low-slung for take-off & landing, you feel like you ought to lift your feet :D

Sorry, I don't know which you'd be flying from Dublin - in fact I don't think Flybe know ;). Most of their fleet are Bombardiers, I see them way moreb frequently over Southampton, but there's little difference in journey time on short routes & on our recent trip Southampton / Amsterdam it was Bombardier out & Embraer back.

As with all budget airlines, do run through a dummy booking to include luggage etc to get a total price.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Dear John - many, many thanks for your kind response. I also appreciate the "heads up" on the luggage. After looking again at Flybe's schedule, we opted to endure the torment of British Airways which are similar to the comfort of flying on troop transport carriers...

Kindly, Delaw

Would appreciate recommendations re a hotel in late October for an overnight before our Transatlantic. Hopefully with a breakfast included.

Also, need to have transportation from Heathrow to Southampton so any ideas re this? Many thanks for any suggestions everyone has.

Trish

This is another vote for the Novotel Southampton. We stayed at this hotel before our departure on the QM2. Breakfast was included in our rate. In addition, the city center area was an easy walk from the hotel.

While not exactly a Heathrow to Southampton drive, we used Smiths for Airports car service for a London to Southampton drive. The driver was on-time and very courteous and the vehicle was clean.

In order of preference... Holiday Inn (in a refurbed room), Grand Harbour and then Novotel.

Thank you so much for your response. We have booked at the Grand Harbour. Fingers crossed a bit given some of the reviews on Trip Advisor.

I just stayed at Grand Harbour about a week and a half ago, it's fine for one night, it's never been anything to rave about but is nice. Service in the bar was painfully slow, the breakfast buffet was good. For dinner you're better off to go to the Duke of Wellington pub, about a 5 minute walk.