Small gift bottles of specialty liquors and beverage policy?

Hi – not sure what board to post this too, but the discussion seems most active here. I’ve sailed NCL, and also RCCL, Princess, HAL, and Celebrity. Most recently HAL in the Mediterranean (just a few weeks ago). Before that it’s been 8 or 9 years since last cruise. Total of about a dozen cruises.

My question is about those little specialty souvenir/gift bottles of liquor you get in some ports. Like the kumquat liquor in Corfu. Or limoncello in many Italian ports. Or ouzo in many Greek ports. Small bottles. Not meant for on-board consumption, but gifts to bring home. How does this fit into the beverage discussion? Allowed? Not allowed? "Corkage fee" applied? What’s the deal?

Thanks.

Hi – not sure what board to post this too, but the discussion seems most active here. I’ve sailed NCL, and also RCCL, Princess, HAL, and Celebrity. Most recently HAL in the Mediterranean (just a few weeks ago). Before that it’s been 8 or 9 years since last cruise. Total of about a dozen cruises.

My question is about those little specialty souvenir/gift bottles of liquor you get in some ports. Like the kumquat liquor in Corfu. Or limoncello in many Italian ports. Or ouzo in many Greek ports. Small bottles. Not meant for on-board consumption, but gifts to bring home. How does this fit into the beverage discussion? Allowed? Not allowed? "Corkage fee" applied? What’s the deal?

Thanks.

There's an exemption for liquor bought in port. You turn it over when boarding at the port where you buy it and get it back the last night of the trip/before disembarking on the last morning. Same for liquor purchased in the on board shops.

Thanks.

Typically when you board the ship in port if you have alcohol in your bag, security will direct you to turn it in at a nearby table. You get it back the last evening of the cruise, I believe. That said, my experience has been they don't pay a lot of attention as to whether you stop at the table and actually turn it in.

i find it depends on the port... in europe, no one really gets too fussed about liquor and usually they'll just let you take it to your room. in the Caribbean/USA they seem to be stickier. worst case scenario, you have to turn it in and you get it back the last night of the cruise. not really a risk if your intention is to bring it home anyways.