Private tour guide recommendations for Amber Cove

lovevacadays

4 of the 6 of us and maybe all 6 want to get outside of the man made compound of Amber Cove. I have seen some posts on taxi trips to Puerto Plata. We would prefer a private tour guide. Any recommendations? We just can't imagine just staying in Amber Cove. We want to get the opportunity to see more of the true island. We aren't the type that are so very, very afraid to venture out in ports. Would also appreciate any recommendations for restaurants in Puerto Plata.

I'm not sure about private tour guides, but Marysol Tours and Iguana Mama both offer a variety of options from city tours to atv and waterfall tours. Both are highly rated. We used Marysol for the waterfalls tour and loved it. There is also a cable car you can add to the city tour.

I'm not sure about private tour guides, but Marysol Tours and Iguana Mama both offer a variety of options from city tours to atv and waterfall tours. Both are highly rated. We used Marysol for the waterfalls tour and loved it. There is also a cable car you can add to the city tour.

Thank you so much. We will check both out. Are the tours private to just your party or are there other people a part of the tour group?

Edited by lovevacadays

4 of the 6 of us and maybe all 6 want to get outside of the man made compound of Amber Cove. I have seen some posts on taxi trips to Puerto Plata. We would prefer a private tour guide. Any recommendations? We just can't imagine just staying in Amber Cove. We want to get the opportunity to see more of the true island. We aren't the type that are so very, very afraid to venture out in ports. Would also appreciate any recommendations for restaurants in Puerto Plata.

We will be there in January, and would also love to see something outside the port. This might be a stupid question, but does the 27 Waterfalls tour involve having to swim? I don't know how to swim, and while I love nature, if I had to swim, I'd be sunk. Literally.

Sitting at a pool at a port built just for cruise ship passengers does not appeal to me at all. I would love to see some of the REAL DR. Would also be interested in Ocean World (We loved Coral World in St Thomas), or some history (hated the port at Costa Maya, but the excursion we did through The Native Choice to Chacchoben is one of my favorite cruise visits). Ideas?

We will be there in January, and would also love to see something outside the port. This might be a stupid question, but does the 27 Waterfalls tour involve having to swim? I don't know how to swim, and while I love nature, if I had to swim, I'd be sunk. Literally.

Sitting at a pool at a port built just for cruise ship passengers does not appeal to me at all. I would love to see some of the REAL DR. Would also be interested in Ocean World (We loved Coral World in St Thomas), or some history (hated the port at Costa Maya, but the excursion we did through The Native Choice to Chacchoben is one of my favorite cruise visits). Ideas?

The water is not deep for most of the trip, but obviously is deep enough near each falls to jump into. They do provide life vests and helmets and everyone must wear them. I assume you would not have to know how to swim since you would have on a life vest, but I am not sure how comfortable you would be jumping into 8-12 feet of water not knowing how to swim, even with a life vest. They do have ways around some of the falls for those that did not have the courage to jump or slide down them, so you could do that if you were unsure.

I do know that they water level varies depending on the time of year and how much rain they have. I would email either of the 2 main tour companies and ask them. I would hate for you to miss it if there was a way you could walk around the deeper parts but still get to participate and see the scenery.