Is there something wrong with POAloha?!?

trtllovr

I JUST booked my honeymoon cruise on NCL's POAloha for June because I have NCL's credit card points. Now, I understand its a bit of an older ship but I don't see many good reviews out about the Aloha and I wanted some insider tips on its "faults" (the good parts would be good to know as well!). Granted the only hours spent on the ship for us will be eating and sleeping so its not too big of a deal anyway, but it would be nice to have your opinions. thank you!

Here is what little I know-- Pride of Aloha was formally the Norwegian Sky. When Pride of America was damaged in the shipyard and delayed for a year, NCL pulled Sky from the Alaska run brought her to SFO for refurbishment to become Pride of Aloha I believe two years ago. She is now an American flagged vessel with an all American crew (to comply with the Jones act). She is not that old. I believe she is a sister ship to Sun and Dawn so comes out of that age group about 8 to 10 yrs old. Super Star Leo was moved from Star Cruises (parent company) to NCL to become the Norwegian Spirit. The issue seems to be the quality of service being given by the all America crew. It seems to be improving as time passes. I think you will have a wondeful cruise and Hawaii is fantastic and romantic. Honolulu does not impress me that much. My brother lives there. But Kauai and Maui. Now that's good stuff. My parents lived on Kauai for about twenty years so I just love the place.

I can't think of a better honeymoon than cruising in Hawaii. The cabins might be a little small, but that shouldn't be a problem for newlyweds. We took a POA cruise one year ago and it was the adventure of our lives. We found the POA to be a beautiful ship, although perhaps not as spectacular as some of the new megaships. Still, at 853 feet it's a big ship. The real star of this cruise, however, is not the ship but the islands themselves. Each one is different, and each is fantastic. You really need to explore each island as much as you can. We rented cars in each location and took off on our own, trying to see as much of the island as we could. Kaua'i was our favorite, but you won't discover that unless you see the entire island like we did. The Napali coast will leave you speechless!

The food and service were not great, but plenty good enough. We were on cruise #12, so I suspect your cruise will be even better than ours.

We were on the POA in Sept and had a wonderful time. It was our first cruise and first trip to Hawaii, and I would do both again. My only regret is that we didn't rent cars and explore on our own instead of doing the excursions. We didn't run into the problems we had read about on here ourselves. Being our first cruise we didn't have anything to compare it to, of course. It was the trip of a lifetime for us. I am already planning to do it again next Sept. (I hope!)

Archived