Chops Grille - Formal Clothes on Formal Night?

All,

Thanks for reading and replying. We will be on the Rhapsody of the Seas on August 26th, and we had wanted to avoid dressing up for formal nights. We thought we would go to Chops Grille and the Italian restaurant on the two formal nights. We had read on a website that the speciality restaurants require formal attire on formal nights, is this true?

We are on a one month Europe tour with only one bag each, we are trying if we can to avoid bringing formal clothes.

Thanks so much!!

It's one of the reasons specialty restaurants are popular on formal nights - no need to be formal. And why you will hear many MDR waiters tell their tables "you don't have to wear formal to eat here" the night before a formal night :)

All,

Thanks for reading and replying. We will be on the Rhapsody of the Seas on August 26th, and we had wanted to avoid dressing up for formal nights. We thought we would go to Chops Grille and the Italian restaurant on the two formal nights. We had read on a website that the speciality restaurants require formal attire on formal nights, is this true?

We are on a one month Europe tour with only one bag each, we are trying if we can to avoid bringing formal clothes.

Thanks so much!!

We are doing the same a little later.

We will have NO formal clothes, suit or jacket>>>>>>>>........ We will look nicer on the "SO CALLED FORMAL NIGHt(suggested dress). But nothing even close to "FORMAL" and will eat where we wish. We will not feel out of place or worry about what the fashion police say.

• 1 month later...

I wanted to provide an update after our cruise. We had no issues at all with non formal clothes in the steak house. We were also told in the main dining room that if you don't have formal clothes it's okay, you can still go to the dining room on formal night. Formal clothes is only a suggestion, not a requirement is what we were told.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

These days, they are not fussy with dress code. I don't bring formal wear anymore.

Formal wear is no longer required for cruising, at least on the mega-ship American-based cruises. That being said, there are still many people that enjoy dressing up for dinner and they are always free to do so.

On my last cruise I didn't pack any long pants, only shorts. My wife and I decided to pack light and eat at the Windjammer each night. Despite being told I only had shorts to wear, I was still invited by the staff to dine in the specialty restaurants. I have to admit I felt a bit under-dressed. But RCI allowed it, and that's good enough for me.

It's been that way for quite awhile!

Since you have been on Rhapsody, I would give this message more validity. All the messages seem to be making this point. The only conflicting info I can give applied to Allure in 2013. Like other people we usually schedule one specialty on a formal night for the same reason. The compass on that cruise and the CD Ken Rush made a point to say the speciality restaurants followed the same guidelines as the MDR. I can remember this happened specifically on May 1st 2013 as we had Chops scheduled for May 2. We went in our normal smart casual and were fine. About 75% of the people that night could have passed as formally attired, but they didn't care about us nor did the staff.